Posted 2 November 2023

Plasterboard and Wall Plugs

Hi, any recommendations for wall plugs for plasterboard please? Trying to put floating shelves up and standard wall plugs are impossible!
It's very thin plasterboard, i'd say around 1cm deep.
Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Use a magnet to find screws in wall timbers. Could get lucky with position.
    As above magnet unless you have a stud detector
    I would imagine you're going to need something a lot stronger like hollow wall anchors - still not sure they'd be strong enough to support a shelf though

screwfix.com/p/e…are
    I've put shelves up with these, they hold a lot of weight as long as you get the right ones for the wall. Usually need to drill a pilot hole to work out available depth, and thickness of plasterboard is important. Also always use a proper setting tool, you can do it without but they're a bugger to get right.
    Most of my interior walls are of a plasterboard construction and not being a diy'er it still amazes me what goes on the walls is still there (including a tv mount at one stage)
    Locating a batten or two in the right places might be a solution of sorts
    I doubt trying to hang anything on 1cm thick plasterboard would be a good idea. It would best to screw into the battens.
    I think you are underestimating the strength of plasterboard when used with the correct fixings.
    Is it an older house thats had the plaster pulled off and plasterboard dot and dabbed onto brick or is it a stud wall ?
    I've just bought spring toggles to put some blinds up into the ceiling.
    I can't see the blinds falling down unless the plasterboard gives way, which incidentally, is what happened to the previous fixings which were those silly metal spiral things for plasterboard.
's avatar