Screws are rusted don't know how to take them out

Please advise
4293529_1.jpg
Community Updates
New Comment

23 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    If the screws have rusted then it might also mean that the wood the screws are in might have got wet and is now soft, and may no longer be strong enough to retain the new screws
    if the screws have snapped, you should be able to remove the old screw head and screw new screws in beside the old ones. if they havent snapped, then you should be able to remove them and replace them.
    Author
    Many Thanks theres no screws head when I try with screwdriver dusty rust comes out they are there but how to take them out
    Pls can you send me link which one are good one for job as have different ones online
    You could try dissolving the rust off the screwheads with a little drop of toilet acid, eg Harpic.

If you are lucky, there might be enough of the slot left to undo with a screwdriver, use a screwdriver with a decent fitting head if there is.

Otherwise I would disconnect and remove the tank and try to cut through the screw shank between the floor and the base of the ceramic pan, either with a hacksaw blade, or a multitool fitted with a flush cutting metal blade. If it is loose hopefully there should be enough gap to wedge it and get a hacksaw blade in to saw it without damaging the pan.

I would remove the pan, dig out and unscrew the remains of the screws with molegrips, check the floorboards are not rotten, and either replace the seals or the whole toilet connector.

Make sure the replacement screws are either brass, or stainless steel. I believe you can buy screws with plastic inserts made for securing pans (try screwfix), I think I used ordinary brass panhead ones to secure mine.
    Author
    Will give it a go but don't want to disconnect as main valve is faulty can't close the water connection

If not than use silicone as other member have suggested
    Can you suggest a strong silicon pls (edited)
    White silicone around the entire base would hold it in place. A clean be finish will achieved with a fugi kit for about £7. A last resort if screws are stuck. (edited)
    Author
    Many thanks which silicone product you recommend pls
    Author
    Thanks all

Manage to take one screw out and drilled one new screw to make it stable try to do second one tomorrow
    But now I have leak as in pictures what to do about it

The leak is 3 or 4 drops from the connector which attached to toilet base
    Second it's not technically a leak but the other end of connector where the black ring is lifted upwards creating a space

Is there's a part missing as it don't look alright where the black ring is
    52158180_1.jpg
    Many Thanks (edited)
    Hit the top and rear of it with a rubber mallet to secure it back
    Soft close seat. They unclip to clean and I can see the button at the back centre by the looks of it. You need to remove the seat and inspect the fittings. Decide if you need a new one or if cleaning and refitting is an option.
    Drop rusty bits in white vinegar for 12 hours will clean
    Toilet, not seat I think
    If you can raise the toilet up, only needs to be 3mm or so then squeeze some silicone underneath the pan for a slight more sturdy seal, then drop the pan back onto the silicone and let it set. Assuming you've not used silicone before you can always use tape around the toilet and floor, make a neat finish with a wet finger, then remove tape for clean lines.
    Author
    Pls recommend a STRONG silicon when you say squeeze some under the pan does it means cover the base area with silicon as much as I can push through on all sides
    From the staining on the floor looks like there is/has been a leak hence the rusty screws.
    or someone with a bad aim!
    If you have a good quality full size hacksaw blade (not a junior) you could wrap a cloth round it and slide the blade under the toilet pan ...next to the screw. If the toilet wobbles getting the blade in shouldnt be a problem.

You can use the hacksaw to cut the screws where they go into the floor if your slow and careful.

Depends whats under the toilet as to what comes next. If its wood you maybe able to just to get new brass or stainless steel screws to refix toilet. But use rubber washers or plastic fittings carefully. as people have suggested above...

But dont overtighten or you'll crack the ceramic quite easily
    I had same issue yesrs ago, drilled the screw heads with hss bit then lifted toilet out and cut a slot in the screws with a hacksaw and got them out with a flat head screwdriver
    Expanding foam squirted through the holes and then block them off to stop it expanding out of them after you've squirted it in....that stuff sticks like anything and should hold it in place.
    That's if you really can't get the screws out as a last resort.
's avatar