Posted 2 days ago

POE door/stealth/bullet camera

Need a small camera for the front door to monitor a milk 🍼 thief.

Was thinking of the Reolink Doorbell one, though I'd only need the camera. I just want to plug it into an existing POE switch and have my server run CCTV software.

Later on if this escalates into organised plant-pot theft then I can add 4K PTZ ones.

Not too fussed about talking to delivery drivers while on holiday etc.

Any tips or recommendations appreciated!
Community Updates
New Comment

18 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    does it have to be on the front door?

no idea what these are like but seems pretty good from the ''sales'' plug/promotion website

cheap, cheerful and uncomplicated

maybe worth a look ?
    52114409_1.jpg
    uk.trustpilot.com/review/getspyfocus.com

its junk amazon.com/Magnetic-Security-Spyfocus-Wireless-Detection/dp/B0CKW53MJG

OP I have a Reolink Video doorbell works very well rarely get false positives unless its really windy and I have two palm trees in the front garden covers a wide angle too. I only get footage of cars nearby, people walking close to the house and it alerts me if someone standing on our driveway.

Paid £68 from viking direct hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/51722984 thanks best money I ever spent. It even came with a brilliant doorbell chime and 64GB microsd card. I run it over our 5Ghz network (more secure than 2.4Ghz) as 5Ghz only reaches to the door so at least no one can hack mine sitting in the street scanning the 2.4Ghz networks!

The only negative I would say is night time footage is good but nothing compared to daytime detail. I think the compression and sensor size is at fault here. However I have POE hikvision cameras connected to the cloud. So if something did get triggered I can always look at different views of our driveway anyway.

Cool thing about reolink software is when you view the days footage you can click on a simple filter and only display humans or just motion activated events (cars etc)

52114409-f6J2l.jpg(cropped top part of screen as shows driveway etc but if you click each of these icons it filters out people, motion and people who actually pressed the doorbell) saves time when away on holiday! (edited)
    For me it doesn't matter if you have caught them on camera - it's not really a deterrent and there are few if any UK cases where video evidence has lead to conviction. Spending £25+ to record someone stealing a pint of milk seems a tad overkill?
    Change your milk delivery process - it would save you more in the long run...
    (Imagine you actually catch the thief - what are you going to do?)
    Author
    It's not about an 80p pint of milk, it's about there's a thief around that next time might try robbing the car or garage or house etc.

I've seen plenty of FB posts where people are named n shamed if the rozzers get enough evidence they can take action.

Quite happy with our milk choice thanks, we switched from supermarket milk as it's nicer and supports local farmers/dairies. Oh and the strawberry milkshake they do is amazing. (edited)
    Might be easier to just mount a visible battery-powered wifi cam out of harm's reach and rely on PIR-triggered freebie cloud event recording.
    Cams that use the Vicohome app have ongoing rolling free cloud event recording,
    with notifications sent to phone and footage accessible via phone.
    Duration of VH event recording can be set between 10-20 seconds with recording cooldown time configurable to off (so will continue recording if PIR continues to detect movement).
    No need to bother with the silly AI subscription - the ongoing rolling free cloud event recording is unrelated to that nonsense.

Cams using Vicohome app start from around £25 for 2.5k resolution models on the bay - search listing descriptions.
    Fulfilled Amazon options include around £30 for lesser 1080p including solar recharge panel
    keepa.com/
    but note Keepa currently indicates a higher price and does not allow for the £30.99 "Exclusive Prime price".
    While I was on holiday there was a rather neat peephole camera on the front door of our Airbnb. It fitted into the previous optical peephole hole. From outside it looked like an old style peephole, inside a neat flattish satnav style screen. No wiring. Very discreet looking from outside.

Got curious and looked it up, it's this one:
    amzn.eu/d/5…Sa6

The featured review gives a good idea of daily usability. Main catch is that to charge it, need to remove it. Someone got around that by bringing a battery bank and a long USB cable to the front door. Seems the battery lasts well though I imagine if there's a lot of movement in front of the door that will shorten battery life.

But hey haven't times changed? In the old days milk thieves would be sparrows pecking a hole in your silver tops. (edited)
    Author
    Cheers will look into that as door has a peephole built in.
    Put out a bottle of your own with doctored contents. Perhaps a laxative
    If you have a farm down the road with a bull you could try that...
's avatar