Posted 28 September 2022

Question

Hello,
5595974491664366284.jpg8063327471664366299.jpg610204901664366338.jpg
what is this chair called please? it's very heavy so which kind of wood is it? was it made in the
2000s? I tried to look for any kind of brand/ signature, etc but there was nothing that I could see. Any idea about the price?

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

16 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    The finish is nothing a bit of elbow grease can’t sort out (sanding and careful reapplication)
    But it does look like oak, and £200 for a set like that is a good price. The pegs are a nice touch (could be superficial though)

Check the bottoms of all legs, I assume they are chamfered like the tops - but if not there could be some splits.
    And have a look at all the joints, you don’t want to see too many gaps, the odd one isn’t going to foul the chair
    There’s a potentially an even bigger answer there.

But first, if you like it - you like it. Don’t take my observations as something you need to action.

The elbow grease i mentioned is still potentially misleading - you might get fed up with attempting all the wood you’ve got there. And for a diyer, the tabletop is quite an undertaking (there’s a technique in trying to create a consistent finish).

It if it were me, and I wanted to re do it:
    Hit it with 80grit, to save me effort in getting rid of the runs, then 120, probably 240 as well, but I’m sure others wouldn’t bother.
    I would probably go for a clear hard wax type, if I like the colour of the wood - osmo range is often regarded as the best, but is a bit pricey for this coverage - on the table top (this just gives the are most likely to get damaged, a bit more protection) [https://osmouk.com/product/polyx-oil-original/]

If you wanted to use danish oil, try a patch first (inside table leg, up high, so it’s never seen) - as you may like how that effects the colour already.
    If you’re staining because you want to change the colour significantly, stain (go for a water based stain) then oil. But still patch test the effects of danish oil on your stain, it may do things you don’t like to the colour.
    Looks like Oak to me. They look very similar to the Kimberley range from Barker and Stonehouse - they're not, but similar.

Secondhand I'd expect you to be able to get £100 or so for 6 of them, perhaps just over £10 each if fewer are for sale. Plenty of dining room chairs for sale on Gumtree etc - hence why they don't fetch too much. (edited)
    The staining/finish on them was perhaps a bit poor - but the grain structure does indeed look like oak (I think I’m spotting medullary rays)
    It's a ladder-back chair.
    Looks very similar to mine which are made of pine.
    Author
    Are yours heavy? Could you please share which brand is yours?
    Author
    Thank you

I found six of these with their table second hand for a little less than £200. As I have no experience in buying second hand and these weren't in mint condition I wanted to have the opinion of knowledgeable people like you. Besides the fact that I like to know the make/ material/ dates, etc. of every piece I buy. I was especially intrigued by the square thingies circled on the pic and thought they might give an indication on the type of chair, etc.
    So are these worth buying or not?

48325956-yev9Q.jpg
    This side of the table us badly damaged as you can see.

48325956-1sSbR.jpg (edited)
's avatar