Posted 22 September 2023

Sea of Thieves will introduce a private game session mode called Safer Seas which begins with Season Ten on October 19th

A New Way to Play

"Just as we hope that the Skull of Siren Song will encourage competitive play, we recognize that for some players, a quieter, more independent experience can be preferable. That’s why, in December, Season Ten’s third major feature will introduce an entirely new game mode that grants players the ability to sail the Sea of Thieves alone or with a crew of friends, within their own private game session.

Safer Seas is intended to offer a gentler introduction to Sea of Thieves for new players, as well as providing a quieter map for existing players looking to pursue their own solo adventures. If you’re hoping to get some peaceful fishing done, or complete a few Tall Tales without interference, Safer Seas is the perfect choice. All applicable Commendations can be progressed in this game mode, so there’s a lot to work towards without needing to keep an eye on the horizon for enemy players.

At the same time, the reduced risks of Safer Seas mean that the rewards you can earn will be correspondingly decreased from the main game mode, which will become known as High Seas. Trading Companies will offer less gold and reputation for treasures handed in (although Seasonal Renown will be granted as normal), and the rank 40 cap means that Pirate Legend status cannot be attained while in Safer Seas, nor can Voyages on behalf of the Athena’s Fortune Trading Company be undertaken. Some other challenging and PvP-focused aspects of the game will also be out of reach, such as The Reaper’s Bones, the Emissary system and Faction battles.

While High Seas will remain the primary and most aspirational way to play Sea of Thieves, Safer Seas offers a complimentary way to explore and learn more about the pirate life in a more predictable environment. Our hope is that this broadens Sea of Thieves’ appeal and encourages ever more players to find their sea legs, before graduating to the High Seas and proving themselves as Pirate Legends!"

Community Updates
New Comment

2 Comments

's avatar
    That is brilliant news, I tried playing the game ages ago but gave up when I kept getting annihilated every 10 mins.
    Cheers OP: I bought the game ages ago and was put off playing it due to it apparently one of the most toxic games (along with Rust and Rocket League etc.). This is superb news for me as I'm really looking forward to playing it and finally feel like I have an excuse to bust out the sea shanty playlist.