Posted 29 February 2024

Sensory / Autism Friendly Cinema Screenings - Where, when and what's showing

The cinema is an amazing place to be, although sensory difficulties / autism can make things very uncomfortable for some people, to the point they feel they can't go to see a movie on the big screen. Thankfully for the last 10+ years or so, cinemas have been working to make movie watching more accessible for everyone.

Today I decided to revamp this. Much of the information is the same and hopefully still very useful. Although, I wanted to enhance it further and include more ways of finding what you're after, booking and understanding how to navigate some of the sites (Or at least make it easier) I've now included some extra information on the below cinemas, which should help navigate to the right areas.

I couldn't include every single cinema, so if you're not seeing your local mentioned, you may be interested in the below, which shows even more

Here are a couple of additions that I think are noteworthy:

Accessible Screenings UK
A very nice and easy way of searching multiple cinemas to find something near you. Add your location and type of screening first and foremost. I'd leave the film title out unless you want to search for the specifically. If you leave it blank, you just see everything for that location, which might throw up alternatives as well as showing you what you're searching for anyway

For locations, you can also use this Google Maps Link - Whatever is easier for you. There's more than one way to peel an orange... (That's not the saying, but I do like my cats... and oranges)

4304788_1.jpgCinemas will have their own list of adjustments, most of them are identical. Staff are also trained in autism understanding!

By cutting out trailers, lowering the lights, turning down the volume and allowances to bring your own food and drink, the big screen movie magic can be enjoyed by more people. Additionally, if you're a CEA Card holder you can get free entry, when accompanying someone with a disability. For details on that - See here (https://www.ceacard.co.uk/)

4304788_1.jpg
dimensions update the list found here (https://dimensions-uk.org/get-involved/campaigns/autism-friendly-cinema-screenings/)quite regularly, although you may want to check out the cinemas web site directly, as this will likely be updated first. Movies change pretty much monthly, with a mix of new and older movies.

4304788_1.jpg
These are just some of the cinemas offering these types of screenings - search for more using the Accessible Screenings UK site

4304788_1.jpg
Cineworld’s autism-friendly adjustments include:

How can I book Cineworld autism-friendly cinema tickets?
Tickets are available to book around 5 days in advance. There are a number of ways you can book tickets for Cineworld’s autism-friendly screenings. Select the film listed as an autism-friendly screening and follow the booking process:

• On the Cineworld website
  • Via the Cineworld Box Office on 0871 200 2000 (calls cost 12p per minute from a BT landline. Mobile and other providers may vary)
  • At your local cinema.

4304788_1.jpg
How to find autism friendly screenings: To find out about autism friendly screenings at your local cinema, simply select the 'Autism friendly' filter when looking for films and showtimes at your cinema. - More info HERE

Some autism friendly adjustments include:

How do I book tickets?
Tickets are available to book around 5 days in advance. You can book tickets on ODEON’s website or at your local cinema.

The film’s name will be listed with “Autism friendly screening” before it so you know you’re booking the right one.

If you have a CEA Card and you’re booking online, you will need an online profile and to add it to the ‘Accessibility’ section of your details in ‘My ODEON’.

Other useful links for Odeon - Odeon Accessibility page (Has some good info and answers to question)

4304788_1.jpg
Click Here to see what's on / coming up at Showcase

How do I book tickets?
Tickets are available to book around 5 days in advance. There are a number of ways you can book tickets for Showcase’s autism friendly screenings. Select the film listed as an autism friendly screening and follow the booking process:

• On the Showcase website
  • Via the Showcase Box Office on 0871 220 1000 (calls cost 13p per minute, plus your phone company’s access charge)
  • At your local cinema.

4304788_1.jpg
Vue don't seem to have a dedicated page that shows only the sensory / autism friendly screenings and times. Movies and dates may vary by location, so it will require a little more effort, but nothing too strenuous.

Example:
  • Head to the Vue website
  • Add your location next to "See what's on"
  • Scroll down the page towards the bottom and look for "Accessibility"
  • Below that, you should see a drop down at the bottom of the list "Autism-Friendly screenings"

Some Vue autism-friendly adjustments include:
How can I book Vue autism friendly cinema tickets?
Tickets are available to book around 5 days in advance. There are a number of ways you can book tickets for Vue’s autism-friendly screenings.

Select the film listed as an autism-friendly screening and follow the booking process:

On the Vue website Via the Vue Box Office on 0345 308 4620 (local rate number)At your local cinema.

4304788_1.jpg
The light have a fairly simple to access page displaying what's coming up. You can also book from these pages. To see what's on at your local head HERE, then go up to the top and pop in your local. Once you've done that, simply search "Relaxed screenings"

• There are no trailers
  • The lights and volume are turned down
  • You can sit where you want and move around
  • You can take your own food and drink
  • Staff are trained in autism understanding
  • Carers can get free entry with a valid CEA Card at our partner cinemas.

How do I book tickets?
Tickets are available to book around 5 days in advance. There are a number of ways you can book tickets for Light cinema’s autism friendly screenings:

4304788_1.jpg
This one feels a little more basic, but it's easy enough to use - Just head HERE, choose your cinema and follow the booking process.

• There are no trailers
  • Carers can get free entry with a valid CEA Card or Carers Card at Picturehouse cinemas

How do I book tickets?
Tickets are available to book around 5 days in advance. There are a number of ways you can book tickets for Picturehouse’s autism friendly screenings. Select the film listed as an autism friendly screening and follow the booking process:

• On the Picturehouse website (select your cinema and the film marked as ‘autism friendly’ on the schedule. Please note a £1.50 booking fee applies for online bookings.)
  • Via the dedicated accessibility hotline 0207 294 7908 (standard call rates apply)
  • At your local cinema.

Free entry for carers
  • Carers can get free entry when booking in person at the box office with a valid CEA Card at Picturehouse cinemas
  • Carers can get free entry when booking in person at the box office, over the phone or online with a valid Carers Card.

4304788_1.jpg
Scott Cinemas have a Supportive Screenings page here
Head to the top, select your location and you should be able to scroll down and get the schedule and book from there.

• There are no trailers

How do I book tickets?
Tickets are available to book around 5 days in advance. There are a number of ways you can book tickets for Light cinema’s autism friendly screenings:

4304788_1.jpg
  • There are no trailers

How do I book tickets?
Tickets are available to book around 5 days in advance. There are a number of ways you can book tickets for Everyman’s autism friendly screenings:

I'm not sure they will see this thread, but BIG THANKS to CEA Card, Accessible Screenings and Dimensions - Most of my information was gathered from those sites, as well as my own research. Things are made so much easier due to their work
Community Updates
New Comment

30 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    In my experience as an autistic adult, who has autistic children, these screenings are nothing more than a token gesture. 

The last one we attended was completely full and it started 10 minutes late (the adverts, that is). Furthermore, a huge group of people came in 30 minutes after the film had started, making many people have to stand/talk etc. The fact that they started the adverts late, didn’t limit the amount of people in there, and allowed so many people to arrive so late, told me that they know nothing about catering for autistic people. 

As is often the case, these things are created with carers of autistic people in mind, not the autistic person.  
    In my experience as the father of an autistic child this was a really good thing. When my son was younger he would talk through movies and this and movement around the cinema was generally accepted. There were no trailers and the movie started close to the starting time. We can now enjoy non autistic showings but this was a really great way to get him used to the cinema to enjoy movies
    Great idea but I have autism myself and autism is a massive scale difference.

me personally loud noise and if people keep moving around chairs like musical chairs it would set me off.

everyone is different but it is good that some companies are trying to include people with different condition.

i would love to be able to go to cinema, bowling and other events but I know I can’t which is frustrating.
    I commented myself and it was deleted as off topic.

I get agitated when people keep moving etc but I do like activity its more common sense I tolerate rather than a free for all.

I don't like silence, I don't like loud noise I need a balance where I have enough sound to feel safe and react if something happens i.e I can get startled if it's silence and a sharp noise happens or if its too loud I both stress out but then miss the trigger for reaction i.e someone could tap me on the back and I would either panic or not notice it at all.

Lights too dark and I want to sleep and again lose that danger reflex too bright and I feel sick and get headaches.
    Autism is different for every child/adult so i can imagine its hard to cater for everyone, best thing about autism showings is being in a judgement free area where my child is not told to be quiet because he is upset or excited during a film.

i agree the film should not be starting 10 minutes late and there should not be any adverts in Autism screenings
    Thanks for this information. Very useful for my child.
    Thanks for taking the time to compile
    Really nice thread, thank you
    Thank you, saved for a rainy day
    Great thread thanks
    Thank you
    Thanks for posting this! Really is appreciated as an autistic person
    What's the cause of autism?
    Mainly genetic. Google will help you find out about it all, as it’s a big spectrum, and everyone Is different.
    Great to see more businesses are working on being able to include everyone in the fun. Personally my daughter would hate going to an autistic screening as she wouldn’t be able to cope with all the noise and distractions so it depends on your child whether this would be a better option for them or not.

She doesn’t really enjoy going to the cinema anyway but if we do go for a movie she really wants to watch then we go at much quieter times which works better for us as they’re usually pretty empty and therefore quiet. (edited)
    I have a question. If a Vue cinema film showing is going to be almost empty, is it sensible to buy the worst/cheapest (£4.99 super saver) seats and just sit anywhere you want at the actual showing, or do/would the Vue staff actually check if you are sitting in the correct seats, and reprimand/punish you or throw you out if you are not? Has this happened to anybody? Is it worth the risk to save some money or should I pay the £2+ more for better seats in case they check?
    Thank you!! I have a autistic son and he likes the cinemas.
    That's nice, I suppose. Although... Do autistic people actually feel comfortable being around so many other different autistic people? Surely everyone reacts to stimuli differently? No clue, honestly. Maybe someone can shine some light on that.
    do you - as a non autistic person - feel comfortable/uncomfotable/indifferent to people around you? (edited)
    Nice idea. I dont see any local cinemas having any listings yet though
    The Odeons google pixel advert telling people to turn off their phones is triggering for me each time I hear. They blast so many different talking and other noises through surround sound in the room it’s crazy. It’s not autism friendly.
    Reminds me, I can't remember which cinema it is but I think it's Vue, the "Boo! Got you didn't I?" before the announcement to switch off your phones etc always makes me jump
    Love that you're sharing this! Great to see!
's avatar