Posted 13 December 2023

Set lock screen timer on Windows PC?

Hi

I'm having issues getting my 10 year old to finish gaming after the agreed time. There are always several "I just need to's....& just 2 mins more" which drags on for 15 mins and is very frustrating.

How can I set a timer that will remain on top of the game so he sees it & which will lock the screen when time is up?

Any help greatly appreciated
Community Updates
New Comment

20 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    use microsoft family safety. you can setup screen time/ apps - games lock / device lock etc.
    I've used this light free program to do a auto shutdown but I've just checked and it also can lock after a certain time length.
    Author
    Thank you,

I have installed but it only seems to allow to select a max of 23 mins then it returns to 0?

Is that normal?
    A teenager me would tell you.
    I can’t just stop playing as I can’t “save” or it’s an online game, and I can get banned…….

An adult me would tell you.
    I can’t just stop playing as I can’t “save” or it’s an online game, and I can get banned…….
    Author
    Thank you I will research!
    If he plays online just switch the wifi off.

It only took about a week before ours learnt time to turn it off was time to turn it off
    Author
    Thanks, all games are offline. Trying to leave that a late as possible!
    Easy fix, bye bye computer.
    As my dad said my house my rules.
    All of our nieces, nephews, grandchildren and great niece have been told the rules.
    Be polite, say please & thank you etc.
    Come in from school and do homework.
    Food at 17.00pm.
    Bath time at 18.00pm.
    Depending on age, bed time at 19.00pm with one hour for tv, iPad games etc.
    20.00pm all turned off go to the loo.
    Kisses and cuddles, wife puts them in bed, lays next to them and off to sleep they go.
    60 minutes later I go and wake the wife.
    Worked on all 7 kids.
    That might've worked in the 1950s - this is 2023, parenting is very different now - they even have laws that govern parents!
    Again - why bother with 3rd party utilities - the parental controls are built right in to Windows! There's even a dedicated interface!
    Just to add, there's an extra tool you can use here if you've got a second computer on the network, which is forced remote shutdown. You can read about how you might use it here: minitool.com/new…tml
's avatar