Posted 18 April 2021

Van hire @ Ikea

Looking at the frankly appalling stories people are having with IKEA online ordering at the moment, thought that hiring a Hertz van myself (they have partnered with IKEA apparently) to get a couple of sofas home.

Anyone have any experience with this? What was the process involved? To get the family card price can I still preorder?

Either that or buy some roof racks for my yeti.........

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Author
    slimy3118/04/2021 10:34

I've never considered trustpilot as anything other than a complete …I've never considered trustpilot as anything other than a complete steaming pile of p00.... even if it worked properly it would still give a far more negative view than reality. Now it's either fake positive reviews or trolls posting negative reviews. (I'll get off my soapbox now...)It might be worth calling the branch to see if they have one available. You will probably be able to reserve it, or at least you'll find out what paperwork they need. Just so I understand though, you'll travel 40 minutes to get there, 40 minutes back with the van, 40 minutes to drop the van off, then a final 40 minutes to come home?

That's right.......!
    The process is on their website? Book it, arrive, put code in to gain access to vehicle.
    Use it, return it undamaged in same condition and within time frame.
    Author
    Sorry if being stupid, but to get the IKEA family price you have to book it there I think.... Not on the Hertz website.
    Last time I looked at it, it was booked in store (Wednesbury store). They had three parked up outside, with the relevant ID and payment you could just drive off with them. That was before lockdown though, I don't know if it's similar now.

On the flip side, I have done both click and collect and online ordering with Ikea over the last few weeks, and both have been absolutely fine. The click and collect was very well organised, although I still don't understand why cars have to social distance (the waiting area had several spaces between cars!!). My office chair was ordered online, and apart from having to wait a couple of weeks for it to arrive, it came when expected and in perfect condition. (edited)
    Author
    slimy3118/04/2021 10:18

Last time I looked at it, it was booked in store (Wednesbury store). They …Last time I looked at it, it was booked in store (Wednesbury store). They had three parked up outside, with the relevant ID and payment you could just drive off with them. That was before lockdown though, I don't know if it's similar now.On the flip side, I have done both click and collect and online ordering with Ikea over the last few weeks, and both have been absolutely fine. The click and collect was very well organised, although I still don't understand why cars have to social distance (the waiting area had several spaces between cars!!). My office chair was ordered online, and apart from having to wait a couple of weeks for it to arrive, it came when expected and in perfect condition.

It would be Wednesbury too for us! It's 40 mins for us to get there so it would be a pain to go through the whole process and get the point of sorting a van to find out there aren't any left! But the fact that they had 3 when you went is cool and worth taking that chance, I reckon.

I know what you mean about online, but have you read their trust pilot? It's absolutely shocking!
    mooruk18/04/2021 10:26

It would be Wednesbury too for us! It's 40 mins for us to get there so it …It would be Wednesbury too for us! It's 40 mins for us to get there so it would be a pain to go through the whole process and get the point of sorting a van to find out there aren't any left! But the fact that they had 3 when you went is cool and worth taking that chance, I reckon. I know what you mean about online, but have you read their trust pilot? It's absolutely shocking!

I've never considered trustpilot as anything other than a complete steaming pile of p00.... even if it worked properly it would still give a far more negative view than reality. Now it's either fake positive reviews or trolls posting negative reviews.

(I'll get off my soapbox now...)

It might be worth calling the branch to see if they have one available. You will probably be able to reserve it, or at least you'll find out what paperwork they need. Just so I understand though, you'll travel 40 minutes to get there, 40 minutes back with the van, 40 minutes to drop the van off, then a final 40 minutes to come home?
    Works out cheaper to hire a van locally, around me a luton box van with tail lift is £50 a day.
's avatar