Posted 5 May 2022

Whatsapp group

I have joined our street whatsapp group. I use whatsapp regularly but have never joined a group before.

How do you know who is chatting in the group by name as they just come up with their mobile number unless you add them to your contact list? Is this right?

I read that you can address someone in the group with @ followed by their name and it shows a notification in their whatsapp. I assume it means in their own whatsapp chat and not the group chat?
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

22 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    deleted192272205/05/2022 13:32

Your brave, on here you are anonymous, but if you upset the WhatsApp group …Your brave, on here you are anonymous, but if you upset the WhatsApp group or get on their nerves they will know where you live..

You saying Mutley will easily get on every residents nerves?
    Gollywood05/05/2022 13:45

You saying Mutley will easily get on every residents nerves?

I didn’t actually say everyone. But it would be a fair assumption..

waiting for my envelope in top right hand corner with we have deleted your comments..
    Your brave, on here you are anonymous, but if you upset the WhatsApp group or get on their nerves they will know where you live..
    I am sure the group will be very helpful for you.

Never used Whatsapp myself but I am sure the users have the ability to solve most issues.

Be careful who is on it though. I have heard you always get one member in the group that thinks they are superior & tries to get other banned from the group when they don't get their own way.

Enjoy
    mutley105/05/2022 12:23

there is nothing, just everyone's mobile numbers. they all can't have …there is nothing, just everyone's mobile numbers. they all can't have chosen their mobile numbers as display by default! i would expect most people would prefer not to display their mobile number to everyone in the group and would prefer just to display their whatsapp name.the chat is messy because you can't tell who has posted the chat as there is only their phone number above their message.

You have to display your number. Or don't get involved in such groups
    mutley105/05/2022 12:23

there is nothing, just everyone's mobile numbers. they all can't have …there is nothing, just everyone's mobile numbers. they all can't have chosen their mobile numbers as display by default! i would expect most people would prefer not to display their mobile number to everyone in the group and would prefer just to display their whatsapp name.the chat is messy because you can't tell who has posted the chat as there is only their phone number above their message.

If you tap on their numbers, it should open their profile. If you still don't see a name, you'll have to ask for their names and save them as contacts in your phone. None of them have saved their names to their whatsapp profile by the sounds of it. This is fairly common as not everyone wants to share all their details like that.

Furthermore to your point above, if you address someone in the group with an '@' they will get a notification but so will anyone else in the group who has notifications turned on. Everyone can see that message.
    If you click on the group name at the top in the center, then go down to participants, click on view all then you can see everyone's numbers and most will have a ~ then a name next to them.
    Not a super easy way to have to keep checking who has posted what but would give you an idea till you find another way.
    The name that'll show up is the name they have set themselves or the name you give them if you save their number
    mutley105/05/2022 12:17

it just shows her mobile number, so how come her name is not showing? it …it just shows her mobile number, so how come her name is not showing? it seems to only show people's mobile numbers in the group chat and not their profile name. not easy to work out who is chatting as i can't remember mobile numbers! and i don't want to be adding everyone in the street to my phone contact list so i can see their name in the chat!

You can select a symbol if you want. Doesn't have to be a name. If you don't save their number, you just see their number and a name or symbol that they've assigned themselves.

I think you're over complicating things if I'm honest
    On my group, for people who aren't contacts it shows the number and on the right there is a tilde and the persons first name.
    Author
    radium05/05/2022 13:12

On my group, for people who aren't contacts it shows the number and on the …On my group, for people who aren't contacts it shows the number and on the right there is a tilde and the persons first name.

that's weird as i don't see this on my group. i can now see one name only, so i am guessing she had added me to her contact list as i was messaging her yesterday.

deleted192272205/05/2022 14:07

I didn’t actually say everyone. But it would be a fair assumption.. w …I didn’t actually say everyone. But it would be a fair assumption.. waiting for my envelope in top right hand corner with we have deleted your comments..

thanks for the compliment, not

deleted192272205/05/2022 13:32

Your brave, on here you are anonymous, but if you upset the WhatsApp group …Your brave, on here you are anonymous, but if you upset the WhatsApp group or get on their nerves they will know where you live..

good point but i don't think i need to join a group for this! they would know where i live anyway as it is a small street. (edited)
    Don’t do it!!!!!
    Step away now! Just my 2 cents!
    Author
    Gollywood05/05/2022 12:04

The name that'll show up is the name they have set themselves or the name …The name that'll show up is the name they have set themselves or the name you give them if you save their number

so would people see my name in the chat, which is the name in my whatsapp profile, if they don't save my number into their contact list?
    mutley105/05/2022 12:07

so would people see my name in the chat, which is the name in my whatsapp …so would people see my name in the chat, which is the name in my whatsapp profile, if they don't save my number into their contact list?

Yes, besides your number it’ll then show whatever name you’ve set under your WhatsApp profile. And as mentioned by Gollywood above, if you add someone to your contacts, it’ll show whatever name you’ve added them under and won’t show their number or display name that’s on their WhatsApp profile.

There is a few privacy settings you can do such as:
    Who can see your display picture
    Last seen
    About
    Who can add you to groups and I think last one status.

Check under account > privacy section within WhatsApp. (edited)
    mutley105/05/2022 12:07

so would people see my name in the chat, which is the name in my whatsapp …so would people see my name in the chat, which is the name in my whatsapp profile, if they don't save my number into their contact list?

Well what name have you set up in your WhatsApp account? That's what they'll see
    Author
    Ka11ran05/05/2022 12:09

Yes, besides your number it’ll then show whatever name you’ve set under you …Yes, besides your number it’ll then show whatever name you’ve set under your WhatsApp profile. And as mentioned by Gollywood above, if you add someone to your contacts, it’ll show whatever name you’ve added them under and won’t show their number or display name that’s on their WhatsApp profile. There is a few privacy settings you can do such as: Who can see your display picture Last seenAbout Who can add you to groups and I think last one status. Check under account > privacy section within WhatsApp.

i have deleted someone in the group from my contact list to test your answer out, and now it doesn't show her name anymore, just her mobile number. i understand that everyone must have a name in their whatsapp profile, so your answer doesn't seem to be correct?
    mutley105/05/2022 12:12

i have deleted someone in the group from my contact list to test your …i have deleted someone in the group from my contact list to test your answer out, and now it doesn't show her name anymore, just her mobile number. i understand that everyone must have a name in their whatsapp profile, so your answer doesn't seem to be correct?

47389143-1qw9p.jpgThe name they'll see is the name you have selected here
    Author
    Gollywood05/05/2022 12:15

[Image] The name they'll see is the name you have selected here

it just shows her mobile number, so how come her name is not showing? it seems to only show people's mobile numbers in the group chat and not their profile name. not easy to work out who is chatting as i can't remember mobile numbers!
    and i don't want to be adding everyone in the street to my phone contact list so i can see their name in the chat! (edited)
    Author
    Gollywood05/05/2022 12:20

You can select a symbol if you want. Doesn't have to be a name. If you …You can select a symbol if you want. Doesn't have to be a name. If you don't save their number, you just see their number and a name or symbol that they've assigned themselves.I think you're over complicating things if I'm honest

there is nothing, just everyone's mobile numbers. they all can't have chosen their mobile numbers as display by default! i would expect most people would prefer not to display their mobile number to everyone in the group and would prefer just to display their whatsapp name.

the chat is messy because you can't tell who has posted the chat as there is only their phone number above their message.
    Author
    rufnek2kx05/05/2022 12:42

If you tap on their numbers, it should open their profile. If you still …If you tap on their numbers, it should open their profile. If you still don't see a name, you'll have to ask for their names and save them as contacts in your phone. None of them have saved their names to their whatsapp profile by the sounds of it. This is fairly common as not everyone wants to share all their details like that. Furthermore to your point above, if you address someone in the group with an '@' they will get a notification but so will anyone else in the group who has notifications turned on. Everyone can see that message.

I didn't know you can leave your WhatsApp profile name blank. Thought this was compulsory. On my profile, it says my name is only seen by my contact though, so I think you would only see someone's name after they have added you to their contact list, else only your phone number is displayed.
    Author
    Blurryface05/05/2022 12:43

If you click on the group name at the top in the center, then go down to …If you click on the group name at the top in the center, then go down to participants, click on view all then you can see everyone's numbers and most will have a ~ then a name next to them. Not a super easy way to have to keep checking who has posted what but would give you an idea till you find another way.

Thanks. Just looked and I can see their profile pics and status but still no name
    mutley105/05/2022 19:33

Thanks. Just looked and I can see their profile pics and status but still …Thanks. Just looked and I can see their profile pics and status but still no name

You see what their privacy settings want you to see...
's avatar