Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Posted 9 May 2022

When is the best time to buy from Carpetright?

Hello,

I need to replace some of my house's very old carpets with possibly vinyl flooring and was wondering when is the best time to order from Carpetright to have the best deal possible. I was recommended this company by an acquaintance. Has anyone dealt with this company? Is fitting included in the price? How do I subscribe to their newsletter to know about offers, etc.

Any advice, tips, etc. are gratefully welcome.
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

38 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    The first rule of buying from Carpetright, is: you do not buy from Carpetright.

I don't know why someone recommended them to you - possibly the someone dislikes you.

I recommend you use a local flooring business where you can actually speak to the owner and they have a good reputation to uphold, so they will do a good job, on time, and sticking to the price you agreed, because they want you to recommend them to others. (edited)
    As a landlord and a homeowner I have bought loads of carpet from them. Yes they do seem to have a never ending rotating sale which I'm not a lover of however as I know the staff fairly well they give me a heads up on when best to buy a particular one. Where I save most of my money is I use my own fitter who supplies all the additional bits and pieces.
    Fitting is not included within the price, however they can give you a price on that too.
    No idea about a newsletter though.

Also ask if they have a remnants section, and or if they know where their nearest remnants/clearance store is. I'm lucky as my local branch happens to be one, and sometimes the price is open to negotiation if they need to make room. (edited)
    Quick update for my fitting, it's gone really well with the 2 man team doing a really good job. The carpets look exactly as we expected, I'm very happy with the whole thing.

Only time will tell whether the carpet itself is long lasting, but for our first experience of Carpetright I have to give a thumbs up.
    We went in store to have a look. We were greeted on entry, and he asked us to look around before going back to his desk. We took a look around and found two carpets that looked good, a quick glance in his direction and he came over. He did a quick calculation so we could tell what ballpark we were in, everything sounded good.

He took us through their range of underlays, and when I asked about prioritising sound over thermals he pointed out a midrange underlay with a good sound rating. We then asked to go ahead so over to his desk we went.

He did a few calculations, asked about door bars, gripper etc (we needed everything as we have empty rooms at the moment). He gave us 10% off without asking which I thought was nice (although the prices probably had 10% added originally considering Gollywood mentions the same above!). He explained that the materials are supplied by carpetright, and I would pay the fitter direct on the day for fitting. Fitting charge was reasonable so we went ahead with a card payment.

Coincidentally enough I got an email this morning saying that they were ready to be fitted, and could I call to arrange a fitting. They're now booked in for tomorrow, so I guess I'll find out very quickly whether they're bad or not!

I've just looked at your other thread though, I'll add something there too.
    Buy underlay and gripper rods yourself. They add huge markups on these. Tradepriced is good for underlay.
    EN1GMA09/05/2022 07:43

this is the problem when big companies subcontract the fitting. who is …this is the problem when big companies subcontract the fitting. who is responsible? the company or the subcontractor. I know people who have bought from Wren and they have had some really bad experience with the fitting and how Wren tried to fob them off. Wren blamed the fitters and fitters blamed Wren. eventually got resolved.

It's not just big companies though. For the last 30 years or so we've always had our carpets from one family run place, whether it was for our house or my parents house when I still lived at home. Despite it being a small company in one location they use third party fitters. The company has always been fine but the fitters have been a mixed bag. One fitted a stairs carpet by cutting a piece of carpet out for each step instead of doing it as a run!

I don't think Carpetright can be criticised for that process.
    Never ever had any issues using Carpetright.

It's a myth that all 'local tradesmen' will somehow be honest and angelic!!
    As disposal cost was mentioned then I would advise you get that price in advance as you could easily rent a skip that would take w whole household of carpet for less than £300.
    Or get a quote from the Council refuse dept who would send a flat back, or even a dust cart to you. As you say Hampshire, then that is possibly NFDC or Southampton, worked for both, and both did it. (edited)
    Now you've got me worried, we ordered two carpets from Carpetright a few weeks ago and we're expecting a fitting date in the next couple of days. I'm not sure about the 'sticking to the price you agreed', I've paid in full for the carpets so I'm not sure how they can change the price?

It does come down to the fitting, and as with most carpet places round here they subcontract the fitting to other people. So for me it won't be carpetright themselves, it'll be the fitters.

In terms of when, as above they seem to be the DFS of carpets and always have a sale on something.
    slimy3109/05/2022 07:39

Now you've got me worried, we ordered two carpets from Carpetright a few …Now you've got me worried, we ordered two carpets from Carpetright a few weeks ago and we're expecting a fitting date in the next couple of days. I'm not sure about the 'sticking to the price you agreed', I've paid in full for the carpets so I'm not sure how they can change the price?It does come down to the fitting, and as with most carpet places round here they subcontract the fitting to other people. So for me it won't be carpetright themselves, it'll be the fitters.In terms of when, as above they seem to be the DFS of carpets and always have a sale on something.

this is the problem when big companies subcontract the fitting. who is responsible? the company or the subcontractor. I know people who have bought from Wren and they have had some really bad experience with the fitting and how Wren tried to fob them off. Wren blamed the fitters and fitters blamed Wren. eventually got resolved.
    As far as I am aware Carpetright use local fitters who you have to pay (price is agreed with Carpetright before you order), they're not directly employees of the business so if you have an issue with fitting quality etc it could get tricky as to who to take it up with.

Imho though, be nice to them, supply them with tea etc and you'll have no issues
    Bambibambo09/05/2022 08:25

Imho though, be nice to them, supply them with tea etc and you'll have no …Imho though, be nice to them, supply them with tea etc and you'll have no issues

My thoughts entirely!! We've had a fair few workmen round for a house renovation, and being polite and forthcoming with beverages gets the job done so much easier, quicker and in most cases they'll take a bit more care over the work.
    EnaHia09/05/2022 12:23

Thanks for your post. Could you please share your experience dealing with …Thanks for your post. Could you please share your experience dealing with them? Did you order online or inshop. I started another discussion and I'd be very grateful if you could respond to some of the questions I have. https://www.hotukdeals.com/share-deal/3932075ThanksReally? Genuinely please tell me why it's not a good idea to deal with them. I am clueless when it comes to dealing with tradespeople. Ideally I would like to do everything online.Really? Genuinely please tell me why it's not a good idea to deal with them. I am clueless when it comes to dealing with tradespeople. Ideally I would like to do everything online.

I went in-store. Viewed, felt, touched the carpets and underlay then chose the best for us... and got final cost. Then bargained a little and got about 10% off.

I'd rather be dealing with a large organisation when spending a couple of grand so I have some recourse in the event of any problem (edited)
    I read somewhere on this site that good underlay and crap carpet will last longer than crap underlay and good carpet. Seek the information and act wisely.
    Bear in mind that the sales staff of Carpet Right are probably on a commission.
    Just spent £12K on whole house carpets from a local family company; Carpetright were £2K more and another local company was £4K more (like for like). Need to shop around a bit as that local company had a special deal with a carpet manufacturer that they have dealt with for 30 years which reduced the price by a few thousand. As said, the underlay is a key part which was an extra £1,200 more than a standard foam type. £500+ was disposal costs, which was a bit of a shock (also had boarding done in parts which increased costs).
    I used them about 10 years ago, but would never again. The carpet worked out cheaper than the underlay! They sent three fitters for one bedroom - arrived on time and fitted quickly. I made them tea and none of them finished it and left the mugs in the hand basin. Worse though was that they all used the toilet (didn't ask, although I would not have refused) and three lots of p**s in the pan unflushed, absolutely vile.

The second carpet was for a much larger room with a turn at the top of the stairs. They sent one elderly chap who said he had retired. We had to help him carry everything upstairs. It was a very hot day and he stank. He then cut his hand and stood bleeding in the street whilst attempting to wrap it up with a filthy old t-shirt in his van.

I complained and got all the fitting costs refunded.
    Only ever bought in store.
    Not had a problem with their carpets. Add-ons, like door threshold bar, are a bit of a rip-off. And when my carpet was fitted, I had loads of bar left over, probably worth £30. Buy elsewhere and give to fitters. And they don't remove carpet leftovers, so you'll need to do that yourself.
    The two fitters they contracted took 6 hours to do my stair carpet - lining up pattern and heat weld. All for £69 worked out by CarpetRight. (they cost it based on an equivalent, easy-to-do rectangular area). They must have spent about a tenner getting to my home, and felt sorry for them.
    The quality of the underlay is very important - it 'makes' the carpet. Ideally the rooms should be bare but a chest of drawers or similar remaining they should be able to work around.

Definitely find a local shop/business. Whereabouts are you in case someone can give recommendation?
    EnaHia11/05/2022 06:11

Glad to hear you had a good experience Could you please tell me …Glad to hear you had a good experience Could you please tell me roughly how much the fitting cost per room? Just the fitting not the carpet itself. Did they remove the old carpet or were the rooms already bare?

We'd stripped everything back to the floorboards, so nothing to remove or move. It was £112 for both rooms and they were here for an hour. Considering travel time to collect the materials as well as consumables I thought it was pretty decent.

While removing old carpet is an extra charge, they do say moving up to five items of furniture is included in the basic rate.

Oh, and have space left in your bin as they don't take away the trimmings. This is pretty standard practice as it's easier for each customer to dispose of the bits, rather than the fitter having to do it at business rates.
    EnaHia12/05/2022 09:52

£112 for two rooms is a great price. Did you order everything from them …£112 for two rooms is a great price. Did you order everything from them including fixtures, underlays, etc.?

Yep, everything came from them. Some elements weren't cheap (£12 per door gripper bar compared to £6 from Toolstation, £2 a metre for gripper compared to £8 for 12 metres from Amazon), but I paid the extra and saved the leg work.
    EnaHia14/05/2022 06:16

So sorry if I missed this bit, but how did you dispose of the old carpet/ …So sorry if I missed this bit, but how did you dispose of the old carpet/ underlay? Was it easy to remove? And did you just roll it or did you cut it into small pieces for easy disposal?

It's remarkably easy to remove carpet and underlay, at best the underlay is stapled in a few places but nothing a good tug wouldn't fix. I cut it into 2 foot strips and rolled it up to take to the tip. It was only cut to make it easier to carry.
    Buying from Carpetright is like buying from DFS, only fools do it. Check your local suppliers and fitters.
    Author
    Really? Genuinely please tell me why it's not a good idea to deal with them. I am clueless when it comes to dealing with tradespeople. Ideally I would like to do everything online.
    Azwipe09/05/2022 07:19

Buying from Carpetright is like buying from DFS, only fools do it. Check …Buying from Carpetright is like buying from DFS, only fools do it. Check your local suppliers and fitters.

My 4 seater sofa is still in fantastic condition, I bought it from them in 2003!

Buying from Carpetright is like buying from DFS, only fools do it. Check …Buying from Carpetright is like buying from DFS, only fools do it. Check your local suppliers and fitters.

lol 4 year lesson , there, see sale on dfs, low payment no interest, learn lesson always sit on sofa before paying,lol had comfy and better ones at charity shop.

local carpet shops are better, tho my first one was a rip off, I now found a good little one that all fair
    I can't say when the best time to buy is. I'm lucky enough to know them well, so they normally give me a heads up when it's likely that the carpet I'm interested in will be on sale.
    I would say when they're open!
    Author
    What about buying flooring from them and then have local fitters do the actual fitting? Are their products good and their deliveries reliable?
    slimy3109/05/2022 07:57

It's not just big companies though. For the last 30 years or so we've …It's not just big companies though. For the last 30 years or so we've always had our carpets from one family run place, whether it was for our house or my parents house when I still lived at home. Despite it being a small company in one location they use third party fitters. The company has always been fine but the fitters have been a mixed bag. One fitted a stairs carpet by cutting a piece of carpet out for each step instead of doing it as a run! I don't think Carpetright can be criticised for that process.

Yes, it's a big problem for third parties
    Author
    uk.trustpilot.com/rev….uk

It is a well reviewed company on Trustpilot.

I am really confused now because of the mixed reviews here. (edited)
    Author
    hubcms09/05/2022 07:32

As a landlord and a homeowner I have bought loads of carpet from them. Yes …As a landlord and a homeowner I have bought loads of carpet from them. Yes they do seem to have a never ending rotating sale which I'm not a lover of however as I know the staff fairly well they give me a heads up on when best to buy a particular one. Where I save most of my money is I use my own fitter who supplies all the additional bits and pieces.Fitting is not included within the price, however they can give you a price on that too.No idea about a newsletter though.Also ask if they have a remnants section, and or if they know where their nearest remnants/clearance store is. I'm lucky as my local branch happens to be one, and sometimes the price is open to negotiation if they need to make room.

Thanks so much for your post. Have you ever bought from them online? I started a new discussion and I would be grateful if you could respond to some of the questions I asked.

hotukdeals.com/sha…075

Thank you

slimy3109/05/2022 07:39

Now you've got me worried, we ordered two carpets from Carpetright a few …Now you've got me worried, we ordered two carpets from Carpetright a few weeks ago and we're expecting a fitting date in the next couple of days. I'm not sure about the 'sticking to the price you agreed', I've paid in full for the carpets so I'm not sure how they can change the price?It does come down to the fitting, and as with most carpet places round here they subcontract the fitting to other people. So for me it won't be carpetright themselves, it'll be the fitters.In terms of when, as above they seem to be the DFS of carpets and always have a sale on something.

Thanks for your comment. Did you buy online? Did you choose the fitters yourself or did you go with theirs? (edited)
    Author
    Gollywood09/05/2022 09:11

Never ever had any issues using Carpetright. It's a myth that all 'local …Never ever had any issues using Carpetright. It's a myth that all 'local tradesmen' will somehow be honest and angelic!!

Thanks for your post. Could you please share your experience dealing with them? Did you order online or inshop. I started another discussion and I'd be very grateful if you could respond to some of the questions I have.

hotukdeals.com/sha…075

Thanks

razo09/05/2022 07:04

The first rule of buying from Carpetright, is: you do not buy from …The first rule of buying from Carpetright, is: you do not buy from Carpetright.I don't know why someone recommended them to you - possibly the someone dislikes you.I recommend you use a local flooring business where you can actually speak to the owner and they have a good reputation to uphold, so they will do a good job, on time, and sticking to the price you agreed, because they want you to recommend them to others.

Really? Genuinely please tell me why it's not a good idea to deal with them. I am clueless when it comes to dealing with tradespeople. Ideally I would like to do everything online.

Really? Genuinely please tell me why it's not a good idea to deal with them. I am clueless when it comes to dealing with tradespeople. Ideally I would like to do everything online. (edited)
    Author
    TristanDeCoonha09/05/2022 13:36

I read somewhere on this site that good underlay and crap carpet will last …I read somewhere on this site that good underlay and crap carpet will last longer than crap underlay and good carpet. Seek the information and act wisely. Bear in mind that the sales staff of Carpet Right are probably on a commission.

Do I have to change the underlay I already have under the old carpet when fitting a new flooring regardless of the type?

wpj09/05/2022 13:51

Just spent £12K on whole house carpets from a local family company; …Just spent £12K on whole house carpets from a local family company; Carpetright were £2K more and another local company was £4K more (like for like). Need to shop around a bit as that local company had a special deal with a carpet manufacturer that they have dealt with for 30 years which reduced the price by a few thousand. As said, the underlay is a key part which was an extra £1,200 more than a standard foam type. £500+ was disposal costs, which was a bit of a shock (also had boarding done in parts which increased costs).

I didn't know there were disposal costs as I thought this was included in the price of the fitting.

MarsKy09/05/2022 20:33

Not had a problem with their carpets. Add-ons, like door threshold bar, …Not had a problem with their carpets. Add-ons, like door threshold bar, are a bit of a rip-off. And when my carpet was fitted, I had loads of bar left over, probably worth £30. Buy elsewhere and give to fitters. And they don't remove carpet leftovers, so you'll need to do that yourself.The two fitters they contracted took 6 hours to do my stair carpet - lining up pattern and heat weld. All for £69 worked out by CarpetRight. (they cost it based on an equivalent, easy-to-do rectangular area). They must have spent about a tenner getting to my home, and felt sorry for them.

Wow only £69! Did they remove the old carpet themselves? (edited)
    Author
    slimy3110/05/2022 12:35

Quick update for my fitting, it's gone really well with the 2 man team …Quick update for my fitting, it's gone really well with the 2 man team doing a really good job. The carpets look exactly as we expected, I'm very happy with the whole thing.Only time will tell whether the carpet itself is long lasting, but for our first experience of Carpetright I have to give a thumbs up.

Glad to hear you had a good experience Could you please tell me roughly how much the fitting cost per room? Just the fitting not the carpet itself. Did they remove the old carpet or were the rooms already bare?
    Author
    JimboParrot11/05/2022 06:16

The quality of the underlay is very important - it 'makes' the carpet. …The quality of the underlay is very important - it 'makes' the carpet. Ideally the rooms should be bare but a chest of drawers or similar remaining they should be able to work around.Definitely find a local shop/business. Whereabouts are you in case someone can give recommendation?

Thank you. I am in Hampshire.

JimboParrot11/05/2022 06:16

The quality of the underlay is very important - it 'makes' the carpet. …The quality of the underlay is very important - it 'makes' the carpet. Ideally the rooms should be bare but a chest of drawers or similar remaining they should be able to work around.Definitely find a local shop/business. Whereabouts are you in case someone can give recommendation?

If you are knowledgeable could you recommend an underlay for carpet and for vinyl please? (edited)
    Author
    slimy3111/05/2022 08:12

We'd stripped everything back to the floorboards, so nothing to remove or …We'd stripped everything back to the floorboards, so nothing to remove or move. It was £112 for both rooms and they were here for an hour. Considering travel time to collect the materials as well as consumables I thought it was pretty decent. While removing old carpet is an extra charge, they do say moving up to five items of furniture is included in the basic rate. Oh, and have space left in your bin as they don't take away the trimmings. This is pretty standard practice as it's easier for each customer to dispose of the bits, rather than the fitter having to do it at business rates.

£112 for two rooms is a great price. Did you order everything from them including fixtures, underlays, etc.?
    Author
    slimy3112/05/2022 16:43

Yep, everything came from them. Some elements weren't cheap (£12 per door …Yep, everything came from them. Some elements weren't cheap (£12 per door gripper bar compared to £6 from Toolstation, £2 a metre for gripper compared to £8 for 12 metres from Amazon), but I paid the extra and saved the leg work.

So sorry if I missed this bit, but how did you dispose of the old carpet/ underlay? Was it easy to remove? And did you just roll it or did you cut it into small pieces for easy disposal? (edited)
's avatar