Posted 21 hours ago

Xbox announcement today - what are your thoughts?

What are your thoughts on the xbox announcement today?

purexbox.com/new…ent
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

13 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Dissapointing, just put my PS5 on ebay
    These are the bits that I am interested in:
    Exciting hardware news will be revealed in Holiday 2024
    Xbox plans to deliver the "largest technical leap ever" in the next hardware generation

They had previously suggested they would step away from hardware to concentrate on the "ecosystem"
    Finding it hard to take that seriously after one of them said launching on Xbox means a game will be successful after the flops of Redfall and Starfield last year.
    Yeah I didn't think they said that much. Just four older games going multiplatform. And they always say the next gen hardware will be amazing before it's out
    I thought it was really good. Very positive and strong message Well done 👏
    Generally good, as being firmly in Xbox ecosystem for 20 years.

This bit made my eyebrow raise 1mm:

"Exciting hardware news will be revealed (and maybe released?) in Holiday 2024

Xbox plans to deliver the "largest technical leap ever" in the next hardware generation"

Now call me old-fashioned, but that reeks of "cloud compute", so they release a kind of 6th(?) Gen Hardware console, but it farms off all the physics to Azure and all the graphics is done on console, idk with a huge deal with AMD or whatever for the silicon.

But that all would point towards a subscription only model, and no buy to own/sell even if digitally. (edited)
    They already tried physics processing via Azure with Crackdown 3 on the Xbox One. Few other developers took it up.

Flight Sim uses cloud as well.

You can't really split processing, latency remains the issue. It's little different from the current Xbox Cloud.
    Regarding the games going multiplatform, I think 4 is just the start to be honest, Phil looked very nervous and uncomfortable when giving this information, they also kept reiterating that when everyone plays, everyone wins and that creators can reach new audiences, reading between the lines they are trying to soften the blow. I don't think you'll see Halo, Gears or Forza go multiplatform as they are the flagship games, but other games probably will go multiplatform eventually.
    52216061-vUxPI.jpgThe most interesting thing for me.
's avatar