Posted 9 April 2012

Any Tips Please to run a Successful / Profitable Tuck Shop ??

Hi All, just wanting some tips please to run a profitable tuck shop???

What things are best to buy (and specifically from where) ???........ we are running it for our Cricket Club and the main aim is to attract greater numbers down to try and generate some much needed cash.

We have today managed to drop on some amazing bargains at B & M - they were selling full size packs of Walkers Crisps at 10p so we will be selling these at 50p and hope these make us some money.

What about drinks - what sells well and where can it be bought cheaply ???
Community Updates
New Comment

28 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    You are a member of a cricket club? I never knew...
    sell drugs
    mojos
    Sell single cigs to the kids. Our tuck shop used to make a fortune
    Sell beer to kids
    casparwhite

decent home cooked food, cakes biscuits etcquiche or fritata for … decent home cooked food, cakes biscuits etcquiche or fritata for example....home made burgers/hot dogs

now your talking about a burger van that needs hygene control and health and safety to be involved
    you can get 12 cartons of pop from morrinsons £1 i think and you could sell these at 20p each? x great for kids x

the ones at morrinsons are spring water orange and black current ones

=]
    (edited)
    Author
    Also are we allowed to sell Beer / Lager???........we have seen Tescos selling crates at a very low price and if we sold a can of lager at say £1.50 it could generate some excellent profit...... but unsure if we would get into trouble for this ???
    Most supermarkets have an offer on cans of pop. Usually bogof.
    I am unsure about this but I know at my uni in performance arts when shows are on the tuck shop there sells wine ect?

You may need a linece? x
    Usually the supermarket cans of pop have not for relsale individual on it but you could go home bargins or b and m ect and get 4 for a £1 cans and sell these at 60p each also you could get the bottles of coke ect for 2 for a £1 and sell at 80- £1 each =] x
    Author
    I must say i was thinking along these lines.......
    http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268199296

If we bought 3 packs of this it would be 36 cans costing us £22................if we sold each can at £1.50 that would be £54 - a profit of £32 which would be great.
    To sell alcohol you will need a premises licence, and somebody will need a personal licence.

A big tip - Don't eat or drink the profits

To sell alcohol you will need a premises licence, and somebody will need … To sell alcohol you will need a premises licence, and somebody will need a personal licence.

Speak to the licensing department at the Council, who can provide the information (including costs) required for applying to be a license holder. Usually it's straight forward, dependant on the Club. The Council and Police then check the facilities and personnel to ensure it's suitable to sell alcohol. Time consuming, but might be worth the hassle. Also if you selling consumables beaware of the rules and regulations on selling (again contact the council), and also health and hygience rules pertaining to perishable goods.

Purchase from a wholesalers such as Costco, or Makro. If you are registered as a Business or have friends or relations of a member, you could join one of the major Wholesalers. This way you could get food, drink, even sporting equipment at lower cost.
    (edited)
    have a small selection of sun tan lotion and always have bottled water its a no brainer really
    id be looking into companies that import goods in from other countries like asia etc, same products but much cheaper if bought in bulk

coca cola, sweets etc
    mumbojumbo

Tea and coffee.

big profit margins on these staples
    decent home cooked food, cakes biscuits etc

quiche or fritata for example....home made burgers/hot dogs
    fragaliciousbob

now your talking about a burger van that needs hygene control and health … now your talking about a burger van that needs hygene control and health and safety to be involved

depending on the clientele and how busy the place is....it could be a viable option
    casparwhite

depending on the clientele and how busy the place is....it could be a … depending on the clientele and how busy the place is....it could be a viable option

it could be but i think sweets and drinks and my sun tan lotion for those summer days where people forget to bring some is better and you dont have the expense of kitting it out with a hot plate , gas or electric costs
    fragaliciousbob

it could be but i think sweets and drinks and my sun tan lotion for those … it could be but i think sweets and drinks and my sun tan lotion for those summer days where people forget to bring some is better and you dont have the expense of kitting it out with a hot plate , gas or electric costs

again it would all depend on the amount of people

a hotplate and a gas bottle isnt that expensive.....essentially a barbq is all you would need. i would be very suprised if a cricket club didnt already have this tbh

Lidl sell low cost sweets, chocolates, cereal bars and crisps.
    Always seems to be the oportunity for a good mark up on sandwiches and rolls.
    ice Lollies, Magnums and small tubs of ice cream
    Only use good quality instant coffee and tea....cheap brands are a false economy as you won't sell as much to regular visitors.
    Did you get back your Facebook page after you followed instructions on here to deactivate it loooooooooool
    I remember years ago when my school would have sports days they used to get a load of those cheapo plastic juice cup things that you buy from places like Macro and freeze them to sell as ice pops.
    Pot Noodle is always a winner!
's avatar