Posted 3 September 2023

Best shaving foam for someone new to using safety razors?

I’ve always used an electric razor but more for trimming a beard/stubble - finally decided to try a safety razor, so I picked up a King C Gillette a couple of days ago.

I got some Bee Bald foam after reading Amazon reviews but it’s quite difficult to get a decent lather. I do have a sensitive skin, so I liked the ingredients.

Any tips on what others use for sensitive skin would be appreciated
Community Updates
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Something from Taylor of old bond Street they've got some sensitive versions and a brush
    Don't use the canned stuff, it's just generally no good for DE razors as it doesn't lather up the same.

Get yourself a brush and a cream is usually better for beginners.

Any shaving cream or soap will be good tbh as they don't have the same harsh chemicals as the canned rubbish.
    What you need is a high quality cream / soap and a good brush. Lots of videos on YouTube for learning. Plus dedicated online forums like The Shaving Room.
    hot hot water, good badgers brush, palmolive soap stick, i use gillette slalom safety razor,
    3 shaves max then throw out.
    Generally gilette et al. are doing weird stuff with shaving foam, making thin stingy stuff that does shave quite well but it fairly unpleasant to use.

The cheaper shaving foam is often much richer and creamier., Unfortunately the one I was using seems to have recently been discontinued so I can't give you a recommendation.
    Gillette sensor gel (the orange can) Always worked for me. Also recommend Wilkinson sword Mach 3 disposables. I bulk buy when £2-2.50
    Sensitive shaving gel??
's avatar