Posted 16 September 2023

Brick shed planning permission

Want to build a brick shed..as i understand it they don't need planning permission but i was going to use the existing utility wall as a side wall so it will be attached to the house on one side but the only access to the shed will be from a door in the shed from the garden. Would the fact it is attached to the main house mean it might require planning permission?

thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Phone up your local council's planning department. They'll tell you for free.
    Look it up on your own council website, some have information on there. Different councils have different rules.
    not an expert but that sounds like an extension to me. what you use the space for is your choice. But what happens in future if someone wants to put a door in from the main house or build on top of it? I suggest you may need 2 metre footings.
    Always good to check, however my understanding is that this would be classed as an out building and therefore no permission will be needed. Only if you had direct access to the house would it become an extension.
    Sadly there is no universal answer here - you need to consult your local planning office.
    I can tell you my dad built a "shed" - it was made from breeze block and plumbed! He clad the outside and when the inspector came out he ticked the box as from the outside it looked like a garden shed!50997631-SKuew.jpgProbably not the best picture, but the wall at the red arrow is actually a side wall of that "shed", my dad decided to use that wall as part of the building to save having to build a second wall. So the shed is actually not rectangular...
    As others have said look at your local authority's website - might need building regs though?
    Author
    ok thanks for all the help
's avatar