Posted 7 October 2023

Can we get an unscientific, but interesting Subwoofer frequency test thread going?

Interested in seeing how Subs compare, it could go something like this:

1) Install Spectroid from Play Store (it's OK there's no ads or anything).
2) Play a song with low frequency bass in it. Set Spectroid to say 10-200Hz.
3) Screen capture and post the results.

I have a Yamaha YST-SW300 which sounds good but looking at the graphs, it looks like 40Hz is it's limit, below that it looks like the harmonics are stronger. Interested to see others results.

This is from "The Weeknd - Blinded by the light", circled bit is the sweet spot, below that it struggles.

4212943_1.jpg
Community Updates
New Comment

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Surely the low frequencies are probably more limited by the quality of the mic rather than your sub? 40 hertz is quite high for a sub to roll off, it would sound quite poor.
    Author
    Possibly, it is unscientific. But assuming most phone mics are of similar quality it should be a level playing field?

I'd just be very interested if someone posted a graph of one with say.a 15" dia. drive unit n it showed a strong response round 20Hz n less at the 40 harmonic.
    In the interests of science, it's worth using a tone generator tool to create your test frequencies. You can use several instances to form chords, if you like. There's a list of notes and their respective frequencies at pages.mtu.edu/~su…tml if you'd like to relate your frequencies to a musical context.
    What amplifier do you have? (edited)
    Author
    That's a Yamaha DSP-AX759SE. I do have a newer one but it's in for repair, when I put the "old" one back in I thought the Sub had come to life. The Sub is active so I don't know whether the 759 sends a beefier signal over RCA or what.
's avatar