Posted 11 September 2023

Cheap Soldering kit?

Hey all, just wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a cheap Soldering kit for some small repairs? Thinking of maybe trying to replace the analogue module on a controller, then if it works out well maybe replacing ports on a motherboard, that sort of thing.

amzn.eu/d/h…PTY
I ordered this Silverline one on Amazon since it was only £8.50 for a short time, but will it be decent enough or is Soldering one of those things where you need to spend a decent amount to not have a miserable experience? Should I cancel the order?

I previously ordered some random no brand Chinese one, but from what I gather it's going to be a bit crap so I've not really bothered to use it. It was an older model of this: amzn.eu/d/d…CpX

Any recommendations or tips are welcome!
Community Updates
New Comment

23 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Get an Antex.
    Author
    Will have to look at these thanks
    Mine is more basic than that one (no temp readout) and it’s been good enough for things like replacing the switches in my mouse and some diodes in a faulty TV. I think technique is more important than the model of soldering iron. Well, that and flux.
    Author
    Thanks! What I read is that those cheap ones will be fiddly and difficult to use for smaller things like motherboards or controllers and the experience just wouldn't be a good one..

That's why I also ordered the silverline kit but apparently that's on the cheap side too! (edited)
    I've been using an awful £10 iron that came with a Wii chip (maybe like 15 years old). 

I agree with a few who mentioned the power cords. You will find most cheap irons have annoyingly short cords or they are too thick, you don't have much control or if you put it down it might move on its own.

It does the job though. Fixed loads of consoles, installed mods and various other electricals. If it dies I will just invest in a Hakko, but for now, my cheap iron will do.
    i have limited experience of soldering, as i only started a couple of weeks ago and done a few led light installs since.

i bought that "cheap Chinese" one in your link and it has served me well so far. the only down side is the cord is pretty stiff and makes it slightly awkward to use at times
    Author
    Oh that's interesting! I think what I read is that for precision work on motherboards and such, that's where I'd face problems.
    Of course the easy way would be just try it but I can't afford to lose a motherboard!
    amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1
    I've been using this one, as a treat, as I was using one more and more. Its been alright, fair quality for the price.
    Not convinced by that Silverline kit. It would be better to get a decent iron with some interchangeable bits. Something like a 30w should be fine for most jobs. I have a pair on Antex 18w (I think) and for electronics work they are fine but for desoldering large tabs etc the 18w is just simply not enough.

I also have a rework station which also has a soldering iron which is great for these larger jobs.
    Author
    Thanks for the response
    Do you think I could get something around £20? The silverline set was only £8 so if it's better than the Chinese one I guess I could stick with it, but otherwise might look into antex since it's been suggested twice! Don't know how much I'll end up soldering but worth an attempt probably!
    Don't think much of that silverline kit. Do you even need a solder gun?

I would buy one better quality iron instead and some 60/40 tin/lead resin cored solder. Avoid the lead free stuff, unless you are repairing food or drinking vessels etc.
    Author
    I don't think I need a gun at all but the entire kit was only £8.50, so I wonder if it's worth keeping as at least an upgrade to the Chinese one

But if it's not going to be much better then I'm better off saving my money. Just don't know!
    The first Amazon link above is for a soldering gun, which might be more difficult to use for smaller things.

You ideally want a temperature controlled one, by a decent brand. I'd second the Antex brand mentioned above.

That handskit one looked better to me, out of the 2. But I've never heard of the brand. So no idea you can trust if it's 100% safe or reliable to use. Does it have a CE or BS mark?

I wouldn't risk some cheap unknown brand. These things obviously get hot and could be dangerous.
    Author
    The first link is an entire set, it includes a gun but also a normal soldering iron. Given silverline is an actual established brand I kind of hoped it'd at least be a half decent step up.
    CE or BS marks aren't too hard to get are they? I'd imagine it does have them.
    Good point about the heat though
    I got one of these digital Lidl ones for like £15-20 and it's worked pretty well for me. The on off switch is handy too rather than relying on a plug, although I plug mine into a smart plug so I can get alexa to kill it if needed. Also the two cables, one to the base, then one to the iron means you don't have a lot of strain either as it's running from close by.

If I was buying now and spending more I'd take a look at the new gen USB C powered digital ones though.

50969022-ZE5Zj.jpg (edited)
    Author
    Thank you! £20 doesn't sound bad for a starter kit. Wonder if I should ditch both my kits for the suggestions here.

Annoyingly Amazon dispatched the silverline set before I could cancel but I could still try reject the delivery
    Author
    Thanks for all the tips, wonder if I should cancel the silverline order now before it's due to be delivered tomorrow!
's avatar