Posted 14 September 2023

Chromebooks will soon get 10 years of automatic updates

Seems there isn't a freebies area any more but seems Chromebooks are set to get 10 years of updates from Google by default for 2021 onwards models and looks like you can opt in for older models

theverge.com/202…tes

4201311_1.jpg
Community Updates
New Comment

18 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    My aging C223 always had a date of June 2024 but in the updates list it now has June 2027* - the star refers to a body of text that says "these ChromeOS devices must opt in to receive extended updates". Doesn't say how though :/ (edited)
    In the 9to5 article it references this being at the time of receiving the last update, I expect it be via the pop up notification you normally get as you get close to the AUE, or something similar. Link: 9to5google.com/202…es/
    Why stop at Chromebooks? Laptops have Chrome!
    This is about ChromeOS. Standalone Chrome will keep getting updated I'd imagine indefinitely unless there's some hardware requirement down the line.

They're also working to split out the Chrome browser updates from the ChromeOS updates on Chromebooks.
    Chrome OS is the bomb.
    I agree. I've been a Chrome OS user for about 18 months now...and I've been blown away by how good it is.
    That sounds promising
    "older products will have the option to turn them on."
    Mine stopped updating in 2019...
    Still works perfectly..
    Came out in 2014, so only 5 years of updates...
    Same mines 2017, last update 2020, Stills works Great actually better than when I first got it

When I first got it was just a chrome browser did nothing else, then 1 of the updates included Android compatibility, combined with the fact it has a touch screen display,
    Now it's effectively an Android Laptop with a Desktop Chrome Browser
    Any 14in+ Chromebooks with decent SSD under £300 anywhere?
    Most will have eMMC storage soldered to the board. 128GB is considered decent on a Chromebook.

There are good options under £300, esp. if you consider refurbs. If you want 14inch PLUS (but only 64GB storage in this one) - hotukdeals.com/dea…004

I'd say watch out for something like this coming up again - a Grade A refurb Acer Spin 314, convertible, 14 inch FHD IPS touch screen, 128GB storage, Pentium Silver N6000 for <£180 - ebay.co.uk/itm…110 They have an N4500 processor model available, but for some reason it's £20 extra.
    Thank you for sharing this.
    Just checked and my 2020 Acer 314 is until 2030 now. Thanks for the update.
    Hoped this would breathe 2 years of further life into my old Asus C302 that stopped receiving updates in June. But seems it's missed the cut, still shows Jun2023 on AUE page, no asterix about extending like the newer versions (c433 etc) so seems just missed the cut.
    On the plus side my new one that I replaced it with (Acer Chromebook Spin 513 CP513-2H) is now showing Jun2032 where I'm sure previously it was 2030 so that's a plus!
's avatar