Posted 2 October 2023

Cordless power tool brand - who do you use?

Hi all,

Over the years i have bought various diy tools, from brand new to 2nd hand:
black+decker
bosch
einhell
titan
screwfix
and either corded or cordless

But is it worth just sticking to one brand and also embracing the cordless / one battery fits all?

So what does everything believe is the best cordless / battery fits all brand to go for?
(im a diyer and this is not my profession)... example:
ryobi
mikita
dewalt
milwaukee
toolfix
screwfix
lidl

There are too many to chose from, if i go all cordless would rather just one brand and stick to them and have a set of batteries.

Your advice, experience etc is worth while.
Thanks in advance
Community Updates
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    For trades people & people working on long projects I would say Makita, Bosch Blue, Milwaukee & DeWalt XR.

For anyone else a cheap Aldi/Lidl brand is just as good. Although you should only really buy a brand that you can source additional batteries in the future or can buy extra batteries at the point of sale.
    For diy, I have literally every tool and gardening item erbauer sell and they're fantastic, never seen anything but good reviews on all their tools when looking online before buying unlike some similar and more expensive brands.
    The stand out item for me is the 36v mower which has a 46cm metal deck and ploughs through everything (edited)
    I’m a casual diyer
    Moved over to the Dewalt xr cordless range and I’ve got about 5 tools now
    Decent quality and decent value when on offer from places like powertoolmate and ffx
    I put up with rubbish tools with nicad batteries for far too long (edited)
    85% of all my cordless tools are Makita which all use the 18v lxt batteries. However the other 15% are all Ryobi which I use with a battery adapter, this is either because Makita didn't make an equivalent tool or just wanted too much money . To put it in context I probably own between 40 to 50 cordless tools. (edited)
    My type of person!
    This was me for several years - but I’ve recently got into Makita 12v, and enjoying a bit less weight in the hand.
    Use my Ryobi nailers & stapler all the time, couldn’t warrant anything more expensive when they work so brilliantly.
    I’m a DIYer and I’ve gone down the Dewalt XR route.  At the time it felt like Dewalt was the best bang for buck although prices do seem to have increased and closed the gap with the likes of Makita.

I’ve had absolutely no problems with any of the tools or batteries I own and would recommend them although I’ve got the brushless stuff so a bit more cash than the brushed models.
    I’ve got a mix, have a Bosch cordless drill in which I’ve replaced the internal batteries cause I just like the drill, also have a newer Black & Decker cordless with the newer batteries, wasn’t expecting much from it but the other day I needed to drill 2 holes in the outside wall and it performed with any issues. For corded I’ve got a Makita, again fairly old but reliable and powerful.
    Before you make a decision think of any tools you may possibly want to buy in future before committing to a particular battery architecture.

I made the decision to move to Bosch blue 7 or 8 years ago, but in hindsight wished I'd gone for Makita. There's nothing wrong at all with the Bosch cordless tools (I have 8 now) I own but the Makita range is far broader, including a large range of garden tools.

Bosch blue, Makita, DeWalt and Milwaukee are all broadly similar in terms of quality and price. (edited)
    Author
    Hi all,

Thanks for all the comments and info, very interesting.

I do notice the main brand names appearing and also (as suggested) gotta look at the brand / range each can provide..... nevertheless, i agree a badapter to use dewalt/makitia batteries on ryobi a nice cheat.

badaptor.com/

Cheers (edited)
    Another vote for Makita (LXT) here, range of tools is massive, once you have a battery and charger the tools can be bought as bare units.
's avatar