Posted 4 October 2023

Dashcam not recording

It is recording most of the time but not always. For example when I get in the car and turn ignition on it starts recording but after a while (probably when I turned engine on) it stopped recording the whole journey home (the camera is on just not recording, I don't hear it lose power either as it has a sound when it turns on). It only has a capacitor as a battery which doesn't really last any time when not connected to power, it must be turning the engine on is disrupting the power or something. Anyone else had anything similar? I think the camera is a Alfawise g70
Community Updates
New Comment

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Has the memory card become full with protected images and thus can’t overwrite any non protected images any more??
    Author
    It's full but seems to overwrite fine atm, nothing protected afaik.
    I’m check / format the SD card. If that doesn’t work check the power supply. My dashcam was corrupting files. Testing it off power banks or other supplys it worked fine. Swapped my hardwire kit and its back to normal.
    Author
    It is most likely the power supply, it seems a bit ropey. It's a car lighter adapter with the cable coming from the side (fixed) and one USB slot for whatever else. The camera is supposed to have a capacitor in it but as soon as you remove power it goes off.
    Yeah as above two people mentioned you should really format the card, would have been the first thing I'd do
    it shouldn't stop recording whole journey as dashcam record in small increments, 1min or 2 mins or 3 mins. Try another card in it incase yours is on it's way out. Dashcam's really hammer the cards and best to buy those intended for dashcams.

When card has gone through its lifecycle it will become read-only and not store any further data. (edited)
    Author
    I had one Micro SD card that stopped writing (card hit write limit), but the one in it now still creates new files. Like it didn't record the journey home yesterday but has been recording today. I have bought another camera anyway now! It was a bit old. I have noticed it doing this before and I have wiped the card and checked it in HDSentinel and it wrote and read correctly. Still perhaps I should have tried a different card before buying a new one!
    You should really only use extreme or high endurance SD cards in dash cams, camera or video recording equipment.
's avatar