Posted 28 July 2022

Electric scooter indicator lights - any good solutions?

I have a Xiaomi Mi 3 electric scooter and have been trying to work out the best way of adding front and rear indicators somehow.

I bought a cheap wireless indicator for the rear, stuck it on the mud guard below the tail light and mounted the remote next to the throttle. However, it is only for the rear, and a bit of a fiddle reaching the button whilst riding. I can't seem to find a pair of front/rear indicators with a single remote. There are lights that you can stick to the ends of the handle bars, but I'm not sure the handle bars are long enough for them to be visible to someone directly behind me, plus you have to lift your hand off and press a button on the end of it. I also looked at helmets with built in lights, but again I can't find one with both front and rear indicator lights.

Has anyone tried to do this and had some success? Any recommendations or creative ideas would be much appreciated!
Community Updates
New Comment

39 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Anyone got any good light recommendations for my cannabis farm?
    Thousands of others do it so 🤷🏻‍♂️

Replying to

You’re choosing which laws you wish to follow and which laws you don’t based on other people doing the same thing. And I didn’t say large scale distribution, I might just be a heavy smoker.

Tbh I couldn’t give a flying fk.
    But you must have realised when posting the question that that it would antagonise law abiding citizens. (edited)
    Personally I'd think about motorbike indicators. They have a single indicator switch that can power front and rear indicators. You would need a separate power supply and relay so might need a bit more creativity to fit?
    Author
    I like this idea but I fear it may be beyond me. As a bit of a DIY pleb, I'd need a step-by-step YouTube guide!
    You need reporting to the police , how do you have the nerve to post on here about doing something illegal ? It's inconsiderate people like you who have and continue to injure innocent people going about their daily lives. Hot Deals needs to wake up for allowing your post.
    Author
    Oh please, report me to the police. Or better still, get over yourself.

An electric scooter is only as dangerous as the person riding it, which applies to any vehicle. In fact, as sold, most electric scooters are arguably much safer than the average bike because they're speed limited to max. 25kph and tend to come with eABS as well as disc brakes.

I haven't injured anyone because I ride my scooter sensibly and considerately, even going so far as to add indicators which even most bikes don't have just to make riding it that bit safer. Many more people are injured by cars and bicycles.

If you can tell me with a straight face that you've never done anything illegal, then I'll tell you you're a liar. Anyway, it's only a matter of time before they're legalised on public roads here as they are in many other European countries. Indeed there is a trial rental scheme underway in London right now. Maybe you should 'wake up' to that impending reality?
    You should only be riding them on private land anyway, so why would you need them
    Author
    The reality is that I (along with the vast majority of those who use them) am not riding it exclusively on private land but on public roads. I'm sure you could surmise that from the nature of this enquiry and hope you are not just being obtuse. I don't *need* indicators, but would like them in order to signal turns more obviously.
    The amount of virtue signalling busy bodies in this thread is hilarious. FWIW I don’t have an escooter, but the faux moral panic and outrage is amazing (edited)
    It's not about virtue signaling, these things are a menace when you are driving.
    It's illegal to ride privately owned ones in public. The infrastructure isn't set up for it and thus people do get hurt.
    Author
    I know it's illegal to ride them on public roads - it shouldn't be and I do it nonetheless, as do thousands of others every day. That also does nothing to address my enquiry so thanks for the pointless pontification.
    The amount of people on here who repeatedly point out the law for escooter usage is painfully tedious. Swear to god they need to take a look at themselves.

No one has signed a contract to follow every law ever made. If you wish to break a law, newsflash, you can! You just do so knowing the possible consequences.

Just because an old outdated law says escooters can't be used on the road does not mean you're doing anything you shouldn't...if you're careful, courteous and safe.

Wish people would think for themselves rather than blindly following every rule made...and proceeding to attack the free thinkers. (edited)
    47915135-nlykm.jpg
    Googling Xiaomi mi 3 indicators comes back with this eBay listing which has front and back indicators as the first result.
    ebay.co.uk/itm…090

I'd advise against adding extras to the scooter as it's making you stand out form the crowd (literally by adding flashing lights) and your smart enough to know the risks so should know the laws.
    A teen bombing around on an off the shelf model can easily plead ignorance.
    An adult with driving experience in a modified extra visible model much less so. (edited)
    They should absolutely draw more attention to themselves.
    Why would you need them?
    Author
    To signal for turns. With many e-scooters (including mine) it's very difficult and unsafe to lift off one hand to signal; you basically have to keep both hands on the bars at all times.
    Expand your search a little and look at indicators for bikes...Signalpod is a good one I've seen before but lots of options on Amazon etc...
    Author
    I have searched extensively for indicators on Amazon, eBay and Google Shopping. Most of them are marketed for bikes, though many could be used just as well on scooters, trouble is that none of them are quite what I'm looking for - front AND rear indicators with a single remote. I was just hoping someone might have some advice from their own experience. Though perhaps not many people who use these scooters are seeking to add indicators, or they already have them built in, I don't know.
    I'd suggest getting ones you wear they'd be much more visible than anything mounted on the scooter itself.

Eg A quick google finds this

aliexpress.com/ite…tml
    47913522-dPloR.jpg (edited)
    Looks dangerous, that arrow would indicate to a driver they should go around you and then you pull a cross them and get flattened, although I wouldn't feel safe having some tiny indicators close to the floor on a scooter either, I'd be worried every time that a car may not have seen it or just doesn't care anyway and will try to go around you when you're manoeuvring (edited)
    I’ll keep my eye on this discussion, as I need some for my wheelchair
's avatar