Posted 2 days ago

Fly Right: A Round-Up of Luggage Rules for Flights 2024 + Some Packing Tips

Planning your next holiday or short trip? There’s a lot to remember, and with each airline having its own rules regarding luggage you could end up paying extra if your bag's too big or heavy.

The last thing you want before you jet off off for some R&R is to face unexpected costs and stress, all because you didn't check your bag dimensions / weight restrictions.

4303334_1.jpg
I've collated some information for a selection of popular airlines, including whether the cabin luggage is free or has to be booked for an additional fee. I have also linked to baggage information on the airline website so you can easily find further details. If you need more baggage allowance, you will need to pay extra, but it's typically less expensive to book it beforehand instead of paying extra on your travel day.

Remember, always verify with your airline the most current info before you jet off as rules can change. The links below should make these checks a tad easier.

4303334_1.jpg
Options below are for Economy flights at time of writing, make sure to check the allowance for your ticket type.

Aer Lingus
Airline Baggage Allowance - Details Here
  • Personal Item: 20 x 33 x 25 cm. Max. 10kg (Free)
  • Hand luggage: 55 × 40 × 24 cm, max. 10kg Checked (Free).
    Some customers will have a 10kg carry-on bag with priority boarding included in their booking,
  • Larger Checked Baggage: Up to 25kg in 1 Bag (Charge Applies)
You can book flights Here

Air France
  • Personal Item: 40 x 30 x 15 cm (Free)
  • Hand luggage: 55 x 35 x 25 cm, max. 12kg (Free)
  • Checked baggage: Max. 23kg (Charge Applies)

British Airways
Airline Baggage Policy - Details Here
  • Personal Item: 40 x 30 x 15 cm, max. 23 kg (Free)
  • Hand luggage: 56 x 45 x 25 cm, max. 23 kg (Free)
  • Checked baggage: Max. 90 x 75 x 43 cm. Max 23 kg (Charge Applies)

easyJet
Airline Baggage Rules - Details here
  • Personal Item: 45 x 36 x 20 cm, max. 15 kg (Free)
  • Hand luggage: 56 x 45 x 25 cm, max. 15 kg (Charge Applies)
  • Checked baggage: Standard weighs 15kg or 23kg. Max total size (Length + Width + Height) = less than 275 cm. (Charge Applies)

Emirates
  • Personal item or hand luggage: 1 piece, 55 x 38 x 22, max. 7 kg (Free)
  • Checked baggage: max. 20 kg to 23k g. Max total dimensions 300 cm (L + W + H) (Free)

Finnair
  • Personal Item: 40cm x 30cm x 15cm (Free with Economy Light & Economy)
  • Hand luggage: 55cm x 40cm x 23cm, max. 12 kg both combined (Free with Economy)
  • Checked baggage: 90 x 75 x 45 cm, max. 23 kg (Free with Economy)

Jet2
Airline Baggage Restrictions - Details Here
  • Personal Item: small item such as a handbag or laptop bag are permitted. It must fit under the seat in front of you.
  • Hand luggage: 56 x 45 x 25 cm, max. Max 10kg (Free)
  • Checked baggage: You can book up to three 22kg hold bags p.p, per flight. (Charge Applies)

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
  • Personal Item: 40 x 30 x 15 cm (Free)
  • Hand luggage: 55 x 35 x 25 cm, max. 12 kg combined (Free)

Loganair
  • Personal Item: 6kg Hand Luggage + Handbag 40 x 35 x 18 cm (Free)
  • Hold luggage: 15kg with ‘Fly’ (Free)

Ryanair
Airline Baggage Rules - Details Here
  • Personal Item: 40 x 20 x 25 cm (Free)
  • Hand luggage: 55 x 40 x 20 cm, max. 10 kg when booking Priority (Charge Applies)
  • Checked baggage: 10 kg or 20 kg (Charge Applies)

TUI Flights
Airline Baggage Rules - Details Here
  • Personal Item: 40 x 30 x 20 cm (Free)
  • Hand luggage: 55 x 40 x 20 cm, max. 10 kg (Free)
  • Checked baggage: from 15 kg (Charge Applies)

Wizzair
  • Personal Item: 40 x 30 x 20 cm. Max. 10kg (Free)
  • Hand luggage: 55 × 40 × 23 cm, max. 10kg when booking with Wizz Priority (Charge Applies)
  • Checked baggage: Max. 149 × 119 × 171 cm. Weight varies (Charge Applies)

Some airlines offering cheap flights, may end up more expensive than other 'seemingly costlier airlines' by the time you add your luggage - always worth comparing the 'end prices'

4303334_1.jpg
What about liquids?
Where possible, pack liquids in your checked baggage, as there are limits on the amount you can take in your hand luggage.

The rules will be changing... but you may have to wait.
Airports are starting to introduce advanced computed tomography (CT) scanners, which could eliminate the need to remove liquids and laptops during security checks before flights. This change would also abolish the 100ml liquid rule, allowing passengers to carry bottles up to two litres. Major airports are already starting to trial the 3D scanners, hopefully they will be rolled out in more locations.

Its worth noting that the airport you depart from may have the new equipment, but your return airport may not. So be cautious if flying with hand luggage only - you may not want to pack a 90ml bottle of your fave expensive perfume!

4303334_1.jpg
15 Simple, But Effective Packing Tips

Remember, the goal is to pack as light as possible while still having everything you need.

• Make a List: Before you start packing, this will help you avoid forgetting important items.
  • Roll Your Clothes: Instead of folding. This not only saves space but also helps prevent wrinkles.
  • Pack Versatile Clothing: Choose clothes you can mix & match easily, create multiple outfits with fewer items.
  • Use Packing Cubes: They help organise your luggage and maximise space.
  • Pack Heavy Items at the Bottom: Makes your suitcase easier to manage and prevents lighter items being crushed.
  • Multifunctional Accessories: Choose versatile accessories such as scarves or shawls which can double up as a blanket, headscarf or sun protection.
  • Carry-On Essentials: Always pack a change of clothes, essential toiletries, a stash of medications and important documents in your carry-on, in case your checked luggage gets lost.
  • Carry an Empty Bottle: Then google to see where the free water refill stations are.
  • Utilise Empty Spaces: Fill shoes and other empty spaces with small items like socks or underwear.
  • Pack a Travel First Aid Kit: Include items like plasters, pain killers and any prescription medications.
  • Don't Forget Chargers and Adapters: If traveling internationally, you may need a power adapter. Also, remember to pack chargers for all your devices.
  • Travel-Sized Toiletries: Use small containers to save weight and space. Decant your favourite perfumes into an atomiser, they’re refillable, leak-proof and surprisingly affordable.
  • Digital Travel Documents: Keep travel documents like boarding passes on your phone for easy access.
  • Buy Lightweight Luggage: To reduce weight and increase space for personal items.
  • Pack Snacks: This can be a lifesaver, and save you money! (personally this is my most important tip)

27 Travel PACKING HACKS - How to Pack Better!

How to travel with just one bag (& zero sacrifices)

Useful Links
Travel Tip - Click & collect airside at Boots Airport Stores (after security) to avoid luggage restrictions

Want to get a great deal on travel? Find all the latest offers on holidays:

Some Megathreads / Discussions

If you're travelling in the EU then don't forget to get your Global Health Insurance Card (UK GHIC) (GHIC) before you go. You can apply for this here
Community Updates
New Comment

46 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Linking back to your post last year with 270 comments for peoples advice/experience

hotukdeals.com/dis…694
    Author
    Thanks some really nice tips in those comments.
    I bought a bag that was specifically within easyJet underseat size.

On my way back from Belfast a little woman barked at me to put it in the sizer. It did fit, with some persuasion.

She told me because it wasnt an 'easy' fit it would damage the lift jacket and told me I had to pay £48 or leave it behind.

I appealed with easyjet and they gave me a £48 vouvher but the whole thing left a bitter taste.

Anyone had a similar experience and how to deal with the situation if it arises again?
    Argh, what a nightmare for you! Honest answer is the only 'fix' I've found is to avoid overpacking and leave room for the bag to squish.

Even if the bag meets the requirements, fully packing comes with this risk unfortunately - and staff are much more likely to test a bag that's visually full.

I've heard the 'easy fit' argument before - it sucks and definitely feels unfair but there's not really any point arguing if you want to get on the plane. I'm honestly impressed you got a voucher out of them.
    Take an empty water bottle and fill it when you get through security
    Order suntan lotion etc and arrange to collect at Boots , when you get through security.
    Author
    Yes great tip! I usually take the empty bottle and then Google where the refill stations are!
    Shopping purchases bought after security can be carried on separately in addition to your carry on allowances. This includes food, duty frees, and other larger purchases.
    I know someone who brings food and snacks from home in a Boots or WHS carrier, so they don't get asked questions when boarding. Might get away with other items in that bag too.
    Fab thread! Just a wee note that the Loganair cabin size is incorrect - it's 40cm x 35cm x 18cm (currently showing 30cm at time of posting). Though there's a lot of variance in their plane sizes, so depending on your flight you might still be asked to put your bags into the hold before boarding and you'll get them out straight away on landing.
    Author
    Thank you I really appreciate you flagging that, will update it now.

Loganair is a bit pricey at times, but on the couple of times I've flown with them it's been a really nice experience - a tiny little plane, and they still did the little free snack and drink (edited)
    EasyJet hand luggage details are incorrect
    Smaller hand luggage
    52295708-tZ22i.jpgMy personal tip - If you have kids I would always take a 4 gang - its light in the suitcase and means no fighting over the adaptor plug to charge phones and tablets etc.
    Author
    Such a great tip! ♥
    To be fair if you have a slightly larger bag but don’t overfill it so that it fits in the tin is fine right???
    That’s what I’m doing as last year I bought Ryanair bags and now need easy jet
    True
    Nice thread!
    Author
    Thanks
    Since most airlines use similar aircraft, isn't it about time this was standardised? All these "add-on" are as much of a rip-off as the subscription model. As for bags that go under the seat in front, where do put my feet, chop them off?
    Yeah but airlines have their own custom cabin layouts, plus can give more space and weight to cargo at their discretion
    Thank you
    Author
    You're welcome
    If you Airbnb it you usually have a washing machine ...and assuming you'll travelling to hot places (or accomodation with Aircon) your washed clothes will dry in no time.

I'm surprised how many items of clothing I still leave unworn by the end of my travels when I have a washing machine. In hot climes I tend to discover the clothes that work best and stick to those with daily washes.
    i operate a 3 pairs of underpants policy. wear one, wash one and an emergency pair.
    a tee shirt will last a couple of days so long as it is not stinky hot and socks indefinitely, if you wear them inside out (not recommended for underpants though).
    Thank you for your efforts, many of us benefit from people collating information like this, keep up the good work
    Good effort - thanks!

I'd always advocate checking the live airline site for current information as these things can change.

As to the perennial 'will they accept this slightly oversized bag?', the answer will always be 'maybe', or "probably they will but possibly they won't".
    If you have an oversized cabin bag, you are breaking the rules and liable to pay - fact, end of, no argument.
    It's like buying an under 12 ticket for a 13yr old kid. You may get away with it, you may not. What you do is your call.

Standardisation would help but don't forget luggage charges subsidise cheap flights. It's part of the pricing strategy, particularly to have cheap initial headline pricing. If they abolished cabin luggage charges then they'd put the flights up.

Current situation suits me well, as Mrs Xippi and I have learned to pack light and can do a week in Malaga on Ryanair 'free' hand luggage.

I can see the other side - can you imagine the carnage if everybody turned up with an oversized bag and tried ramming them into the overhead lockers while the plane was otherwise ready to go with an already allocated slot.
    Thanks. Saved it ❤️
    take note.
    Thanks for sharing great reminder
    Thank you
    Its a nice rough guide, but the allowances range a lot depending on destination (long-haul v short), or how you book (package or airline), always check. Another thing to note, if you are a family and one bag is just over but you have others under they are often happy to accept this without charge.
    KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
    • Hand luggage: 55 x 35 x 25 cm, max. 12 kg combined (Free)

anyone flown KLM with their unusual 35 with the hand luggage? anyone pulled up on this?
    Thank you!
    I went Norse to JFK with a backpck and carry one. No checking at Gatwick. In contrast JFK was a nightmare; my bags fitted in the measuring bins no problem, but a guy on the next counter had a backpack that was thick with toddler kit and was screamed at "that's what it should be like" pointing to my backpak in the bin... So beware, you may be OK one way, but not the other.

PS- best premium economy going. (in contast to Virgin to India.....)
's avatar