Posted 25 April 2023

10 Airline stopover programs + free or discounted hotel stays / experiences - 2024

Update 1
12/01 - Thread updated for 2024
A number of airlines offer free stopover programs giving you the ability to explore another destination for no additional cost as part of your flight ticket in 2024. Some airlines even offer free or heavily discounted hotel / experience deals in the stopover destination e.g. Etihad, Qatar, Turkish Airlines etc. This post discussion gives a high level overview of some of the current deals and policies.

What is a stopover?

A stopover is defined as a connection or stop that lasts for 24 hours or more for international travel and four hours or more for domestic travel (shorter connections are layovers). You can use the downtime between transit to explore, with some airlines offering stopover packages including free or heavily discounted hotel stays and experiences e.g. Etihad, Qatar etc

Do I need a Visa for a stopover?

It is worth checking if you need a Visa for any planned stopovers. Sometimes you need to ask for temporary visas in certain countries that might be different from your destination visa. Most countries issue transit visas to help passengers who will only be transiting in that specific country. More info here

1. Emirates stopover deals

4125606_1.jpg

Emirates offers a Dubai (UAE) stopover programme. To take advantage of the airline’s Dubai stopover program use the advanced search feature on the airline’s website and ensure you have built a stopover into your itinerary. You can do this by building a multicity itinerary with a stop in Dubai

Please note there are no offers on free or discounted hotel travel as part of the stopover deal, so this cost would need to be factored in.

2. Etihad Airways stopover deals

4125606_1.jpg

Etihad is currently offering free stopovers in Abu Dhabi through 24 December 2024 The one- or two-night packages include free stays at either a three-star or four-star hotel in the city, plus perks including 24-hour check-in and free wifi.

Stop over in Abu Dhabi for free at selected 3* and 4* hotels in Abu Dhabi.
  • Stay for up to two nights
  • 24-hour check-in
  • Complimentary in-room Wi-Fi

Get up to 40% off Abu Dhabi’s premium 4* and 5* star hotels.
  • Stay for up to four nights
  • 24-hour check-in
  • Buffet breakfast
  • Choice of room types
  • Complimentary in-room Wi-Fi

3. Finnair stopover deals

4125606_1.jpg

Finnair offers free stopovers in Helsinki when you travel through Helsinki airport (HEL). You can stop for up to 5 nights on your way to your final destination. You can also stop on your way home.

Please note there are no offers on free or discounted hotel travel as part of the stopover deal, so this cost would need to be factored in.

4. Iberia Stopover deals

4125606_1.jpg

If you fly with Iberia you can do a Madrid stopover. Stay from one to six nights in the capital of Spain with no additional cost to your ticket. With Stopover Hola Madrid you get discounts on accommodation, transport, shopping, leisure and cultural activities. You also get a free public transportation card valid for two days that can be picked up at the airport.

5.Icelandair Stopover deals

4125606_1.jpg
When you fly transatlantic with Icelandair, you can choose to add a 1 to 7 day stopover in Reykjavik Iceland at no additional cost when you book with IcelandAir. When booking your flights, simply click the “Stopover in Iceland” button and choose how many days you'd like to stay.

6. Japan airlines Stopover deals

4125606_1.jpg

Japan Airlines allows passengers to schedule a free stopover in Tokyo or Osaka, Japan. This is not a formal stopover program. To make a stopover, simply use the multi-city booking page or call the airline. You can stop in Tokyo (NRT or HND) or Osaka (KIX) at no additional cost.

7. Qatar Airways Stopover deals

4125606_1.jpg
Make the most of your journey with these packages by Discover Qatar, including up to four nights discounted hotel in Doha, as well as discounted tours. Pricing is from £11 per person based on double room share for 1 night based on a 4* hotel.

How to book a Stopover?

1. Choose "Qatar Stopover" in the flight search panel above and enter your origin and destination

Do not enter Doha or Qatar in the origin or destination fields.

2. Select your stopover timing and duration

Select your preference for planning your stopover, either on the departing or returning flight journey, and how many days you would like to stopover in Qatar.

Terms

• Price is $14 per person based on double room share for 1 night.
  • Prices on this page are in USD.
  • The price of a stopover varies based on the hotel star-rating and the duration.
  • Prices listed are per person based on double room share.
  • Additional fees apply if breakfast is included.
  • The Stopover offer is only valid for Qatar Airways confirmed ticket holders with a minimum transit time of 12 hours in Doha.
  • All Stopover bookings are subject to availability.
  • A valid visa is required to enter the country. Find visa information here.
  • A hotel booking made with Discover Qatar is mandatory for visitors from certain countries. Find more information here.

8. Oman Air Stopover deals

4125606_1.jpg
Oman Air offers free stopovers in Muscat International Airport (MCT). You can book a stopover for 1-3 nights. There are a number of stopover packages to choose from. Most packages include discounted hotel rooms and free breakfast. You can choose from 3, 4, and 5 star hotels. There are also tours available.

If you have a long layover of 8 hours or more, you can take a full-day Muscat city tour. The tour is offered at a discounted rate. This tour also includes airport lounge access.

Terms accommodation

• Passenger may book 1 night, 2 nights or 3 nights stopover in Oman.
  • Room rate includes:
    • Daily buffet breakfast
    • Hotel taxes and service charges
    • VAT
  • All prices mentioned in the price list are subject to change without prior notice
  • Stay must be with consecutive nights without division.
  • Rooms are subject to availability at time of booking.

9. Tap Air Portugal stopover deals

4125606_1.jpg
With Portugal Stopover, you can add a free stopover in Lisbon or Porto from 1 to 10 days for no additional cost (although no discounted hotel travel). You can opt for this stopover on an outbound or returning trip. There are also discounted experiences

To book you need to choose your travel dates, departure city, and destination as usual, then click the “Add Stopover” button.

10. Turkish AIrlines stopover deals

4125606_1.jpg
During your trip with Turkish Airlines, you can stopover in Istanbul and enjoy free accommodation and the opportunity to explore the city.

• Economy-class passengers will stay at a four-star hotel for one day — for free. Your stopover must be longer than 20 hours to qualify for a free hotel room.
  • Business-class passengers with a stopover of 20 hours or more will stay in a five-star hotel in Turkey for up to two days.
  • If your stopover is between six and 24 hours, you can explore Istanbul with a free city tour including bus transportation and meals. You don’t need to reserve ahead of time. Just head to the Touristanbul desk upon arrival at Istanbul Airport (IST) to register. More info here

Related discussions / useful links

Community Updates
New Comment

100 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Literally just used this on my way to Melbourne with Etihad at Abu Dhabi as a family of 4. Stayed at a Premier Inn by the airport for 2 nights just over 3 weeks ago.

Annoyingly we arrived at 0030 so couldn't claim the 1st night as technically we didnt arrive when we would have checked in so I paid (2 rooms came to £150 with breakfast) but Etihad covered the 2nd night (2 rooms as no family rooms). Hotel was spot on - short walk from the airport to the hotel (which was brilliant as we have a 5 and 7 year old). Hotel was clean, excellent customer service, not noisy and even had a rooftop pool. They also provide a shuttle bus to key locations which was a bonus as we didn't have to spend money on taxi's and saw downtown and Yas Island. Booking was easy - once the flights were booked, you book through the Etihad website and get a confirmation.

Kids loved it and really helped to break up the 24 hour journey to Australia. So nice to walk from hotel to checkin in less than 10mins.

Would use again. Also Etihad was fantastic with kids - they got goodie bags and the food for them was brilliant, a lot of choice so even if they were fussy, they got enough. Also loads of kids films and games.
    Few qs as we are going with Abu Dhabi but our flight gets in at 7am and leaves at 11pm
    - what time did you get your room? I presume you had to book the 2nd night because you wouldn't get the room early enough?
    - did you have to pay anything? The link gives me a cost but then says 0 on checkout. But it still wants credit card details so I'm just wondering if they'll end up charging.
    - what did you do for the day? Just stay at the hotel?

We are likely to go for the one more downtown, but useful to know the hotel has shuttles (surprising for a Premier Inn...)
    One of the best and most useful threads I have read for some time. Stopovers in UAE, Qatar, Oman etc on way to the Indian Subcontinent, SE Asia or Australia are eminently worthwhile to make a break in otherwise very long flight and availing excellent opportunity to explore new territories at the same time at relatively low extra cost.
    I have done this in the past but unfortunately now it is A to B not necessarily to save time but due to advancing age. Thanks OP it was a pleasure to read. (edited)
    No, I'm same, their human rights atrocities and never a word about doing anything for Charity. The whole country is built on modern day slavery. My £1k won't make a difference but its principle.
    Ethiopian Airlines - in 2018 at least you got free visa (50$), free hotel, free transfer and free food in your accommodation place. Not much to see in Addis but good for a day of wander..
    Can recommend Ethiopian Arelines as well. I have done the same but was only there for a night. Would love to return and explore Addis Ababa during the day
    Saudi airline is also offering stop over offers which includes VISA , hotel Stay and can perform Umrah as well
    is KSA visa for free?
    Good link. Thanks
    To add. Malaysian airlines are also doing it with a stop over in KL
    China Southern offers a free 4/5* hotel, hotel transfers and breakfast when you're there between 8 - 48hrs for a transfer.
    csair.com/en/…ns/

There's also the possibility of a longer visa free stopover I believe. (edited)
    Was going to add this too. I was planning to do it in Guangzhou until Covid cancelled plans
    I recently flew to Sydney. Stopped over at LA (there and back). First part was with Virgin and second part was with Delta. It was very easy to do and didn't cost anything extra with the flights, just the cost of hotel.
    well compiled post

would be good to see people share their actual practical experiences

With some airlines if a connecting flight to your onward destination is available then the terms are different (for free stopovers which include hotels)
    Just to add, it also depends on the class (and here I don't mean simply economy or first) of ticket e.g Y, Q, J etc, which is a minefield in it self, which may or may not allow free hotel for a long stopover. At one time, if the long haul flight had a change-over of more than certain number of hours, hotel accommodation had to be provided according to IATA rules. I don't know what the rules are now.
    Great post! Should definitely add the Singapore airlines stop over program. Offers great value!
    Do you have a link to their stopover program btw
    Useful post but several of these are really non deals, like Finnair. You can't fly directly to pretty much any destination without stopping over in Helsinki, and stretching the transit over a few days is not really anything special, can be done on dozens of airlines not on this list and I'm not sure it can be called free since different connection durations often reprice the itinerary.
    If you fly from MAN to most asian destinations with FINNAIR then you have to stopover. I found it a real pain last month in Helsinki having to stopover one night on the way to BKK when it was -12 and needing more clothes for carry on. It made a 11 hour journey into a 35 hour journey. I did moan and groan at customer services in Helsinki airport and they put me up in the Holiday Inn for free. I think they only did that becuase I was holding up the queue
    Don't forget some airports have facilities you might want to use for shorter stops. For example, singapore airport has a swimming pool you can use (for a few dollars). All you have to do is remember to pack your swim wear in your hand luggage.

It might be worthwhile manually creating a layover rather than taking an "offer" especially if the airline isn't giving you anything. Eg. buy a ticket from A -> B, then buy a seperate ticket from B-> Final Destination.Potentially lots of flaff thou'

These layovers are marketed as a feature, but for airlines it gives them more flexiblity/options when it comes to selling you the entire journey.
    Most airlines will let you manually book a later flight on the same ticket to cut down on the faff. Last time I went through Hong Kong I booked myself on a later flight did an afternoon in Hong Kong and then went on.
    Saudi Airlines also do this with up to 4 days stopover and a free hotel for 1 night in your connection city (Riyadh or Jeddah usually).
    You have to buy the visa with the ticket which is about £20 each.

saudia.com/en-…isa

I stayed in Al Andalus Mall Hotel which was surprisingly good quality this month on my way back from Bangladesh. (edited)
    transport is also provided ?
    I’m guessing this is a sponsored or SEO based post since it’s tagged under cost of living and by a deal editor. Apart from Qatar none offer a real stay over at a discounted rate, you can book as a multi trip and achieve the same and probably a cheaper hotel rate. I found it interesting Emirates is listed number one yet it does not offer any discount so why is it listed? Maybe the @Chanchi32 can explain the inclusion or ordering.

The only airline with a discounted stay is Qatar which is half way down the post. You could say ethihad offer upto which is not the same as Qatar which offers at £20 per person.

so unless the author can provide an explanation I think this is a sponsored post
    Hi thank you for your feedback. I can confirm that this post is not sponsored and not related to any of the merchants. We pin a number of posts for a variety of reasons including where we feel that our website users may benefit from the information provided. I hope this helps.
    Emirates 100% has a stopover program!
    It's called Dubai Connect

emirates.com/au/…ct/
    Cathay used to through HK from LA on to India (did it a few yrs ago). Oddly it only seemed to work if flying business class (which i can recommend on Cathay)
    Etihad very useless , dates never available and cs never reply to there emails
    would never fly china southern again worse airline ever !!!
    I noticed this on Turkish airlines during my Easter trip, cost for long stopover flights was similar to quick stopover and one day hotel stay was bonus.

Could not use it as it did not fit in plan, but will see if it’s still available when I travel next.

My flights were Heathrow - Istanbul, Istanbul- Delhi (edited)
    Thanks for the thread . I availed Etihad stopover scheme last summer with a stopover for a day. Booked an airport hotel for free to go on the city trip.
    Few qs as we are going with Abu Dhabi but our flight gets in at 7am and leaves at 11pm
    - what time did you get your room?
    - did you have to pay anything? The link gives me a cost but then says 0 on checkout. But it still wants credit card details.
    - what did you do for the day?
    Worst stop over I ever did was Moscow on route to Saudi. My entire collection of vodka containing Russian dolls got confiscated at the airport. I offered to take a lashing instead as punishment as I have been known to enjoy this but they were having none of it
    Have any been spotted for Singapore btw
    Singapore Airlines used to do one - have they stopped?
    This is a great thread, many thanks for compiling. Assuming that it’s just hand luggage you have during the stopover?
    From previous experiences - yes. But ofcourse do double check when you plan your flight.
    Not voting either way.

The stopover is a good idea but not sure the free or discounted hotels will meet our expectations. It would only work if I booked the hotels myself but that's going to cost.

I then factor in the additional cost of a decent stopover hotel as well as living expenses compared to paying a little more for a shorter journey time to ultimate destination.

It sounds good on paper, but...
    It’s a discussion not a deal so you can’t vote anyway
    Malaysia Airlines used to do free side trips. Stayed in KL and took the whole family to Phuket. Those were the days.
    excellent post
    I wish there were programmes for either Swiss or Austrian. I've got long stopovers coming up in the summer.
    Anyone know of a flight to New Zealand with a stopover in Sydney? Probably not..
    Any stopovers in Brum or Luton if flying via the UK?
    Unfortunately neither Emirates nor Qatar allow you to take advantage when booking a reward flight. They both say that you would need to make two separate bookings (eg UK - Doha & Doha - Aus) which involves a lot more Skyward points or Avios. They say they are working to try to make it possible but it seems unlikely.
    Is it actually free, though?
    No
    Thought Singapore Airlines also did
    I did this in 2018, I flew to Thailand with emirates and on the way back I stopped off in Dubai for 4 days. It didn’t cost me any extra. It bringing extra tourism into a Country which owns the Airline!

One thing to remember with the stop over flights you might have stop over on the first leg of journey too. My first leg of the journey I flew from LDN had a 2hr stop off in DXB and then flew to Bangkok.
    Just saying, if you really wanted a stopover on either leg and you are booking through a physical bucket shop rather than OTA, you can ask the travel agent to adjust your flights to your best advantage 🙋
    Thank you OP. This is very useful.
    Is there a requirement to book the flights directly with the airlines to avail these offers? Do they honour bookings made on third party websites?
    Thanks OP, awesome post.
    Had a 22 hour stay in Doha airport. Qatar airways both legs. Really not impressed but I wasn’t business class
    With Etihad, they offer Premier Inn but only if you pay for an expensive economy ticket! I found out the hard way.
    With Qatar, I managed to get a 5* hotel for a night for £30.
    Any airlines doing stopovers in NYC?
's avatar