Posted 3 August 2022

Free Eye Test

Are there any free eye test currently ongoing that I can take advantage of?
I don't qualify for NHS discount, so that's out of the question unfortuantly.

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    If you’re signed up to Boots, check your offers in the app. The Boots magazine in store has had free eye test vouchers in for Advantage Card members in the past too.
    Author
    Thanks, good to know!
    In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, there are a number of reasons you might be entitled to a free sight test. For example, you’re eligible if:

• You’re aged 60 or over
    • You’ve been diagnosed with diabetes or glaucoma
    • You’re under 16, or under 19 an in full time education
    • You’re 40 or over and have a close relative with glaucoma (your mother, father, sibling or child)
    • You are registered as partially sighted or blind
    You might also be eligible for free eye tests if you or your partner receive certain benefits, such as Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance, Jobseeker’s Allowance, Pension Credit Guarantee Credit, or Universal Credit, or if you’re under 20 and the dependent of someone receiving these benefits.
    I haven't seen any free test vouchers since the pandemic started. I am lucky that my work reimburses costs up to £30.
    What line of work do you do? Does your work have any discounts?
    Author
    No work benefits sadly.
    Embrace fate, although you may need to relocate to make it worthwhile:
    aceandtate.com/gb/…est
    I got a free eye test voucher about 3 months ago on my M&S Sparks app. Would've cost £25 or £30 otherwise.

Made me think though, I should stick with the same company & pay for consistency as they're checking for eye health too. I tend to switch all over the place depending on free vouchers so they can't check previous records & see if there's a noticeable decline or issue.
    Free everywhere. Assuming you live in Scotland.
    Check this place
    You have to check what opticians you have near you and check if they have any offers on their website. Bear in mind some opticians are actually independent, even though their shop might say it's vision express or spec savers. They might tell you there are no offers if you visit or call and ask. Even if the companies website has offers.

If you need to wear glasses and use a computer for work. Your company are supposed to provoid you a free eye test every 2 years through eyecare vouchers. Most people are unaware of this and most companies won't tell you as it costs them money.
's avatar