Posted 12 September 2023

Help finding a router

Hi, I am with Virgin Media (350Mb but cheaper companies are hopefully coming to the area so if I can get faster for a good price I would) and the Wifi signal is getting worse and I have been looking at getting a router to help with this. I dont live in a massive home (2 bedroom) and I do have quite a few things connected but not all at the same time (consoles, tablets and what not). I play some games but not a hardcore gamer who needs the best gaming router out there.
looking with a budget of like £30-£50 (I was even looking on CEX as they come with 2 yrs warranty)

Can anyone suggest a router?

Many thanks
Yuna
Community Updates
New Comment

14 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    A Potato would perform better than the Superhub 3. Even in Modem Mode I have issues with it dropping the WAN link to routers early morning for no particular reason (I've tried a few routers)

Before spending money play around with the settings, particularly when it comes to the 5Ghz band, change its channel from auto to one of the higher channels above 48 and see what happens, also turn off wifi optimisation or whatever its called.

You wont need to spend too much on a new router that will out perform the SH3 - a £25 Tenda AC19 for £24 will do it or if you want to go down the fancy route, the RX2 with AX1500 and wifi 6 is only £36 (both on Amazon)

Whatever router you pick, make sure it's gigabit. If its not you'll lose around 2/3 of your M350 download speed. (edited)
    Author
    I tried messing about with it before and I changed the channel to a higher one and i lost the 5Ghz completely and had to set it back to get the signal back.

I found that when I turned wifi optimisation off my speeds got worse
    Why not ask Virgin Media for booster pods? You should be able to get them free with your current subscription. For that budget you would be best sticking with Virgin Medias router - is it the Super hub 5? They will upgrade to that one for free if you ask them.
    Author
    no i think its the hub 3
    online it says they will only upgrade you if you are on their Gig1 Fibre broadband packages
    Would cheap mesh any better
's avatar