Posted 3 hours ago

Laptop purchase

Help, I know nothing about laptops and computers, other than I'm ready throw my 10 ish year old, stupidly slow one out of the window!
Needed for everyday use, but not gaming. Have kids who are at primary school so will use for homework also. Husband will use for producing invoices when needed for work.
There is so much out there and I'm totally confused now!
Budget upto £500 ish. Ideally not too heavy as would take out and about with us on holidays etc
Thanks I advance for any help and support... Links to any good deals would be much appreciated.
Community Updates
New Comment

4 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    What laptop do you own, you can upgrade with more memory and SSD, you will be surprised how fast it will run.

For the requirements you outlined I wouldn't spent anywhere near £500.
    Author
    It's an extremely old, very heavy Dell one... It's definitely seen much better days, so desicion made to buy a new one.
    I have a Dell Latitude 5330 work laptop which I love for size and speed, but don't have the money they cost spare
    Shouldn't need to spend £500 for your needs, you should be able to buy one for yourself and another smaller netbook for the kids within budget if you prefer them to have their own
    For what you've described it might be worth considering a chromebook. Your money will undoubtedly go further.
    It uses googles chrome OS operating system and works best if connected to the internet.
    There's office software built in and I believe that they are sometimes used in school.
    Very easy to set up particularly if you are already using an Android device. Mine cost about £250 about 3 years ago and is perfect for my needs which seem similar to the ones you've listed.
    Also updates itself much more often than microsoft and is meant to be more secure as its based on linux rather than microsoft, but I'm not an expert on that.
's avatar