Posted 2 October 2023

Macbook Pro - Buy or wait?

I am in the market for MacBook Pro that will last me for a good few years to come.

I have two issues which have kept me back from purchasing last month or so.

1. I cant decide if 14" or 16" is the way to go. I dont travel alot so i for portability i would do work on the laptop on my lap or perhaps out and about occasionally. I have a desk which i have a 32" monitor which in theory i will connect to when i want to use my desk.

I keep thinking i should get a 14" based on what i have said above, but the 16" does have benefits and the extra screen i keep thinking will be useful when im portable. I dont want to regret my choise as i could get either.

2. My main gripe with these is lack of FaceID and i notice theres quite a few rumours saying the next gen may well have FaceID which could offer more than just unlocking the MacBook - so on that point im holding off as if i buy now and then that is built into MacBooks next year then it will annoy me as i see that as a useful feature.

I have read reviews online and been to look at both sizes but still cannot be sure what i want so resisting any impulse buy - but at the same time if an offer pops up thats too good to turn down i need to have made a decision.

Anybody wish to chip in and sway me one way or another? (I dont need comments like dont buy a macbook XD).
Community Updates
New Comment

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Is face ID such a deal breaker if you rarely take it out and it has fingerprint ID? What is it to be used for other than unlocking?
    Author
    Well knowing Apple it could be used for multiple things like logging in, individual password management, also checking if you are still watching / reading etc (wouldnt surprise me if apple come up with some ideas to utilise it).

As i say its not a deal breaker but its something that if i was to buy now and next gen has it, I may well wish i had held off.
    when it is so difficult to chose between 2 things you need to learn how to toss a coin

also there is no such thing as a wrong decision - only in hindsight - so never look back and if you do blame the coin (there is though such a thing as bad judgement - but never bad decision (edited)
    I guess it's down to use case. If portability is not a high ranking concern then there is no point going for a 14" - you may as well get the 16" version. I don't understand why Face ID would be a deal breaker.
    When it comes to IT I always suggest buy what you need when you need it - no point holding off for the next thing to come along - you'd never buy anything!
's avatar