Posted 1 day ago

Named driver

If I remove my wife as a named driver what's the worst case scenario?

She has her own comprehensive insurance

Thanks.
Community Updates
New Comment

35 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Is your car bought or leased? Just if you don't own it out right she won't be covered, I've had this argument with loads of my mates who lease cars and ask me to drive them... I keep telling them my policy doesn't allow me to drive leased cars, the person needs to own it.
    If you do own it and the value is say over £2000 I'd just pay that £70, it'll cost you a hell of a lot more to fix in the long run even if she does drive it a couple of times a year.
    My mates BMW M4 what I look after, I'm on his policy as I told him specifically if I'm not a named driver I'm not driving it, it's to much of a risk, think he paid an extra £100 to put me on but worth it 100x over if I was to have an accident.
    Your other option if she only drives it once or twice a year is to just let her get a taxi!
    I used to add my partner to mine every year, as it brought the price down.
    If you check your wife's car insurance certificate it should say whether or not she's covered to drive other cars.

Generally, comprehensive insurance does mean 3rd party cover on other vehicles but there are certain providers that don't allow driving other cars and clearly state this in their terms and conditions.
    She won’t be able to drive the car unless her own insurance allows her to drive other cars but if allowed it would probably only be third party cover?
    Author
    So if she was at fault in an accident, we'd have to pay for fixing our car? (edited)
    Policies are usually cheaper to have both of you on insurance instead of just one driver.
    And insurance often goes 50:50 even if you aren't at fault..
    Good luck
    Author
    I always thought having named experienced drivers would bring the price down so was surprised when they said taking the wife off would save £70
    What capacity does her insurance cover? They are likely to limit it by class and size, otherwise people would buy insurance for a Happy Meal style car, and drive the high powered sports car that was in the name of their partner
    Author
    Thanks everyone for the input! Looking at the new policy and wife's still down as named driver so not sure what's happened. I'll keep checking but we've decided that she doesn't drive my car this year (which is fine by her as it's too big a vehicle)

As a side note, despite on the renewal letter saying they were offering the best price that a new customer would get, when I spoke to them to say I'd gotten better quotes online (I had) they straight away lowered their quote without messing with the details.
's avatar