Posted 1 May 2021

New gumtree scam - message my mum?!

So I just posted a gaming monitor for sale on gumtree.
One reply usual crap "can you post it to Leicester... I'll pay for courier" (I'm in London and said collection only)

then had a new one.. "can you message my mum"

I Thought was b/s

then got the same reply from someone else with a different mum's address

i guess they're trying to convince you their mum's don't use gumtree which is reasonable but I smell b/s a mile away.

wonder if anyone else seen this and what other new tricks are out there!

1st one
Email my Mom directly mel.anman.04@gmail.com highly interested in this!

2nd one
I will really appreciate if you can email my mum jessicafountainqueen@gmail.com, condition and aksing price shes very interested purchasing it
Community Updates
New Comment

27 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    this1isfine01/05/2021 14:20

Wouldn't getting them to pay via bank transfer prior to sending/collecting …Wouldn't getting them to pay via bank transfer prior to sending/collecting an item for sale be protection from a scam? I realise you only want to do collection only for this sale. Maybe there is still some sort of scammable loophole with bank transfers but I thought they are supposed to be a lot safer for receiving payment?Most banks do faster payments. It shouldn't be much of a wait for both parties to see the funds present in an account if someone pays by this means before you hand the item over via a collection sale.I would of thought people scamming by wanting things sent to them and paying via Paypal etc would go quiet if they are told bank transfer only?

I had one few months back, similar scam. He wanted me to deliver to a cousin as a birthday present .I had some time to kill so I played along. I said it was fine, as long as he paid via bank transfer I will post it wherever he wants after money and postage fees etc were received.

The next bit is where the scam develops. He then wanted me to add a few extras to the package as a gift for his cousin, he was going to pay for this also. I said fine, as long as money is in my account first I will get him whatever he wants if I can find them nearby... He wanted a steam gift card to be added to the package... fair enough but here is where the scam is. He wanted my email, although that is irrelevant for a bank transfer,

I played along anyway and gave him one. Next thing I know he is telling me he has paid and that I should check my email. I told him money has not reached my account and there is no need for me to check my email, but he was adamant I check my email, so I did.. and found a faked email supposedly from a bank in South Africa. They wanted to inform me that the funds were on hold by them and they will not release this unless I send them evidence of what I was selling.. but even though my main item being sold was a console the "Bank" wanted a picture of the steam gift card with the codes visible... lol I mean who would fall for something like this??

Anyway I went back to scammer and told him I have not got any money to buy the steam gift card, the deal was for him to pay me and then I would use that money to purchase for his cousin. He then he started pleading, for any amount, event £5/10 if I don't have £100 (the original amount he wanted). After this I just ignored him, he gave up after a few more messages.
    Author
    Maybe I should give the phone number of one scammer to another!!!!
    If in doubt - throw it out.
    jameshothothot01/05/2021 13:53

Now that is a brilliant idea
    jameshothothot01/05/2021 13:53

Maybe you should subscribe the number to premium rate services

Only joking (edited)
    45690380-loVmB.jpg
    "our satellite server has been down due to work. But I'm able to access my mail anytime as i will make use of wireless laptop"

Where can I buy one of these laptops that doesn't need an internet connection to access the internet?
    (Anyone who says "Gumtree" will be sent to the naughty step! )
    Seems the "email my mum" is not new.

This was mentioned on HUKD in 2020.

See this topic, see update from 10th July 2020 from Uridium (his second update)

hotukdeals.com/dis…182
    . (edited)
    Author
    So annoying had another scammer about delivery. Can tell they copy and paste. "I am not in your town... Have you heard of gumtree delivery?". Mate I am in central London! Not really a town is it!!!
    Selling stuff is a hassle now scammers everywhere I always sell to shops when I can as its much easier even if you have to take a loss better then being scammed, cex music magpie etc (edited)
    I have had a few of those too ! Mums are everywhere, except where the scammers are based.

One even whatsapped me from a foreign location, for prepaid parcel delivery to Leeds ! No Mum mentioned.
    Someone is going to blame the 'Dads'. Actually it probably won't be long until you start receiving the dad/father/Pops emails..then the grandma, grandfather, sixth cousin removed....their favourite secondary school teacher's email address for a reference
    Looks wrong, smells wrong it will be wrong just walk away
    Author
    cis_groupie02/11/2021 13:48

"our satellite server has been down due to work. But I'm able to access my …"our satellite server has been down due to work. But I'm able to access my mail anytime as i will make use of wireless laptop"Where can I buy one of these laptops that doesn't need an internet connection to access the internet?(Anyone who says "Gumtree" will be sent to the naughty step! )

Ha. I can sell you one for just £50. Just pay me via PayPal friends and family... I will send tracking information once payment received...
    I've started to get those mum emails via shpock over the last few weeks also
    Wouldn't getting them to pay via bank transfer prior to sending/collecting an item for sale be protection from a scam? I realise you only want to do collection only for this sale. Maybe there is still some sort of scammable loophole with bank transfers but I thought they are supposed to be a lot safer for receiving payment?

Most banks do faster payments. It shouldn't be much of a wait for both parties to see the funds present in an account if someone pays by this means before you hand the item over via a collection sale.

I would of thought people scamming by wanting things sent to them and paying via Paypal etc would go quiet if they are told bank transfer only?
    Just got another kind on Spock
    WhatsApp me “xxxxxxxxxxxx” I want to buy
    Typical scammers
    Get your coat, you've pulled.

Damn Gumtree, the amount of spammy people put me off massively on that site.
    I get plenty of these. btw, If their mum don't have a gumtree account, I doubt they'll have an email address.
    LAst few days, a lot of calls on landline with a Zombie female voice warning of £300 debit from my bank for an Iphone 7 ordered from AMazon.

Press 1 to discuss (if not ordered). Would love to press 1 and string them along, but worried about an inflated phone bill if attached to a premium number !

Anyone expereinced similar?
    I just got this one to my gumtree
    Had to join - Just had exactly the same experience with an ad on Gumtree. Here's the email from elizabethfountain09@gmail.com if you want to send her your best wishes.

"Thank you for getting back to me. My son read and understand your Ad right and Can you assure me that i will not be disappointed buying it. I'm ready to pay your asking price,but i just want you to assure me very well on this and the issue is that I'm very busy for now and am not around but i have a pick up agent coming for the pick up after the payment has been made to you and he will be present for all necessary thing that is needed. Due to my job, there is strictly no call that is why i ask my son to send you an email our satellite server has been down due to work. But I'm able to access my mail anytime as i will make use of wireless laptop.i have gone through your advertisement and i am satisfied with it

My Mode of payment is via PayPal as as i don't have access to my bank account online, but i have it attached to my PayPal account and this is why i insisted on using PayPal to pay. I will be responsible for all the PayPal fee/charges on this transaction and , if you don't have an account with PayPal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one.Just log on to paypal.co.uk,so i hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible.I have a mover that will be coming for the pick up once payment clears and they will be handling the title for me. So i look forward to hear from you soon. Kindly get back to me with your

Full Name:
    PayPal E-Mail Address:
    Firm price:
    Phone Number.

Best Regards "
    46190706-VVlLp.jpgJust had the same after posting an ad on Gumtree, Tony messaged me to say can I email his mum Linda Fountain fountainlinda21@gmail.com, this is what I received back.
    Susan fountain with the exact same wording to my parents.
    I just posted a computer related item and in less than 10 mins i had 3 messages off diff ppl asking me to email the "Auntie" with the details. total scum these ppl.
    Just had the same attempted con-trick ... send all details to my mother who wants to purchase she'll send a courier and pay by PayPal she'll even pay all the PayPal fees too - YEAH OK!
    Author
    Nice... Set up a new PayPal account. Take the money. Close the account. Give them a fake address for pick up??? 10 downing Street. London. Sw1a
's avatar