Posted 23 August 2022

Please can anyone recommend ground coffee?

I've gone off Kenco and Nescafé, so I want to try an alternative ground instant coffee for a change. How about Lidl or Aldi's own or other own supermarket brand coffee's, are they any good?

Thanks.
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

19 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Sorry Douwe Egberts, Costa, and Sainsbury's House Blend are generic vanilla, sub-standard coffee which sometimes blend sub-par Robusta Beans to adjust strength. Unfortunately it's difficult to suggest Arabica Coffee that would suit your tastes without knowing your preferences. Usually though the Americas are deeper roasted (Arabica) beans for those that like Strong, Chocolately tasting coffees. For those that like a mellow, nuttier, sweeter taste most go towards Ethopia or Kenyan Coffees (which are roasted less) but the issue is the quality has dropped dramatically in the past few years. My preference is Rwandan coffee (which is currently 2 for £5 in Waitrose) which is similar in taste to most most African Coffees, but has a far higher QA.
    I like Sainsbury's ground coffee and the coffee beans and they not bad with prices.

Replying to

The house blend original normally.
    Probably not one for the coffee aficionados but I find the ground coffee and coffee beans from Aldi are pretty good! (Alcafe brand) - the cheapest out the lot in this thread, and not rank. (Not Alcafe House Blend ground - which isn't bad - but the ones that have the strength on the packet, numbered, are better. Aldi's website doesn't show the full range). Ground coffee, here

3 - House Blend (at least, it is for the Coffee Beans)
    4 - Italian Blend
    5 - French Blend

Lidl's Deluxe ground coffee is more expensive but often on their weekend offers. Example, here (edited)
    I have Aldi own brand ground - No3 Colombian- and really like it. To me it compares favourably with the Taylors decaf that I also have
    Starbucks.
    Lavazza Rossa is my favourite
    Lavazza Rossa and an aeropress, can't go wrong.
    Will give you a cuppa that puts most machines to shame.
    The best thing we did was change from Gold Blend to a bean to cup machine , even the cheapest beans taste better than instant. We drink a lot of coffee so it was worth the investment in the machine and actually using beans works out much cheaper than buying instant for us. If you have 4 or more cups of coffee a day a bean to cup is worth considering. Our latest Machine was a Delonghi manufacture refurbished one bought off eBay during one of the 20% off promotions , making it half the usual price and you wouldn't know it wasn't new.
    Starbucks house blend, pike place and blonde roast, also Costa mocha italia & dark amazonian blends. On offer costa is usually £2.50 whereas Starbucks on offer is £3, well worth the money IMO.
    Author
    Thank you all, very much appreciated
    Douwe Egberts instant coffee is the best and as good as some ground coffee. For coffee beans (when I can be bothered) I like ALDI's house blend, (edited)
    I use asda organic Nicaraguan ground coffee.
    When you say ground do you mean instant or actual ground coffee beans?
    Author
    Should have iterated that I meant instant I'm a lazy coffee person. Just a spoonful in a cup, and hey espresso!
    Coffee beans at ALDI, I find the Italian blend too weak, the Colombian too strong, and gives me a headache after a few cups, but the house blend is just right.
    Coffee is really down to personal taste so difficult to recommend. M&S pretty good, even their Italian under £3 is decent, as are Sainsburys. Aldi some good some very bad (Columbian tasted like dirt)
's avatar