Posted 26 September 2023

Quiet kettle ?

Stood here with the kettle wrapped up in two tea towels and the oven gloves on top thinking someone must sure make dinner sort of insulated quiet kettle?
Can anyone recommend one that isn't noisy?
Cheers
Community Updates
New Comment

14 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Surely people in the house can't hear your kettle that much, maybe you're just trying to be extra quiet
    Probably should buy some ear plugs
    Generally speaking, the faster it boils the louder it will be. I have a small 900w one that I can use in places with a limited power supply and it takes a good few minutes to boil but you don’t hear too much more than the water bubbling inside. Meanwhile I have a 3kW one in the kitchen which will boil very quickly but it makes a roaring noise that you can hear throughout most of the house.

I personally prefer the convenience of fast speed and put up with the noise for a minute or so. It’s not like the noise is that bothersome or goes on for ages.
    Some manufacturers make quite boil kettles that have an etched, or textured base plate where the element is, to provide lots of sites for the bubbles of steam to form on, so you get a lot less noise. I expect it would work well unless you've got hard water, which would rapidly coat the textured surface in limescale...
    I have a boiling water tap. It's silent.
    I find that it helps to reduce the noise if I pour some out after it has been making noise for a few seconds. Well, not so much pour it out as tipping up the kettle enough to expose the element. Do that a couple of times and it’s a lot quieter.

Edit: That’s boil-tip-tip-boil, not boil-tip-boil-tip-boil. (edited)
    Have you got a whistling kettle or just being over dramatic?
    Kettles can also be loud if they haven't been descaled in a long time. They bubble more because of the calcium that has built up on the heating element. Trying de-scaling and see if that makes a difference. (edited)
    Author
    The kettle's not super loud, I was up early and didn't want to wake people. It got me thinking this cheap kettle with thin metal walls is louder than it should be and retains little heat. This thought I'd ask on here for honest reviews if anyone had one.
    I've got this one and it's quiet enough for me to have never noticed the noise.

If there isn't already a video of it somewhere I don't mind doing a demo
    Wow - well I guess Russell Hobbs is the brand of choice (models 20460 & 20462). Personally I prefer the noise as that way I can tell it's done (that and the loud click at the end!)
    I prefer speed over noise - you can get lower wattage kettles that are quieter, but the trade off is an extra 2 minutes for a rolling boil.
    I can't imagine anyone being woken by the noise of a boiling kettle though...
    We've got the Russell Hobbs 20460 kettle and it is a bit quieter, not completely silent, though. It is 3kW.

Gave one to my mother-in-law and I assume it was faulty, as it made a weird (and rather eerie) "squealing" noise
's avatar