Posted 30 April 2023

Returning a hard drive to CEX within 14 days (online purchase) - is it a full refund or store credit?

I finally received my 8TB Seagate Exos drive after over a week of CEX cancelling different orders but now it's here, wow, is it loud! As I bought it online, if I return it to my local CEX store within 14 days, am I entitled to a full refund or can they get away with offering me store credit? I never buy from them (this is the first thing I've bought) so I really dont want £80 in store credit.

I've got a new PC that I've just built and it was meant to be the main storage drive. It's running alongside an old WD (purely for Windows backups) with a 1TB NVME as my boot drive. The WD (a 5400rpm) is fine when it spins up, it's noticeable but hums along in the background but the 7200rpm Seagate is loud! It clunks a bit when it initially spins up but it's the noisiest part of my setup when its spinning!

I'm assuming it's just the fact that it's a faster spinning disk but it's not a noise I want when my PC is so quiet - I dont want to have to force it to spin down to negate the noise as it'll end up wearing the drive out if it's always having to spin back up whenever I need it. I think I'll be better served with another large capacity 5400rpm drive.

*EDIT*

I might, might just have sorted it! After taking the drive out of my PC and putting it in a hot swappable caddy, it seemed a little quieter which got me wondering - if I could do anything to try and dampen the vibrations, could I get it to a level where it's bearable?

I squeezed it into the drive bay with some thin but reasonably dense foam on each side, getting a tight fit so there was no movement and the drive was isolated entirely from the case and voila! It was as though the drive had been muted! I sat the PC case on some small foam pads (the feet are just hard plastic) and now I can barely hear it! All this as I was a couple of keystrokes away from securely wiping the drive with DBAN!

There's still a bit of a whine/hum that I can hear when it's just the fans running and the room is silent but it's most likely something I'll be able to "tune out" once I'm used to it! (I've got a week left to decide anyway! £80 for an 8TB EXOS seems like a pretty good deal when you compare the other used offerings form CEX
Community Updates
New Comment

26 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Return stuff all the time. I only order online because of the 14 days return window.
    If you purchase in store you only get 2 days return window.

Full refund to original payment method.
    Author
    Ever had any awkward staff or do they just nod and process it?
    Author
    Yeah, I've read that, but I'm wanting to know if they will definitely refund my initial payment back to my card or try to offer me store credit.

I'm not overly clued-up when it comes to the world of consumer rights, so I'd like to know what I'm entitled to before I go into the store.
    I worked for CEX before they started taking refunds from online so im not 100% clued up on the ins and outs now. Since the old owned (Bobby - legend) died it went downhill, and fast.

Anyway, I think legally you have 14 days to return for a refund if purchased online so I dont think they have a choice. If purchased instore its a 48hour window to return for a voucher, no ifs buts or coconuts.

Good luck.
    Author
    Cheers, that was what I was after 🏻

Yeah, I spotted it was only 48hrs if bought in store, if they had it in stock in my local store I was going to buy it online and collect in store, just in case.
    Two options that will result in legislation-backed refund to original payment method, not credit, depending how you describe your online order:

1) notify order CANCELLATION within 14 days of receipt = guaranteed refund as it is not contestable. Refund to original payment method within 14 days of you notifying CEX the item is on its way back.
    Customer funds cancellation return postage but the refund
    ...must be without undue delay, and in any event not later than 14 days after...
    (a) the day on which the trader receives the goods back, or
    (b) if earlier, the day on which the consumer supplies evidence of having sent the goods back
    inc the lowest cost outgoing p&p, although no issue if CEX permit dumping on store counter

Or if you believe the noise indicates a fault or below reasonable/acceptable quality:

2) notify REJECTION within 30 days of receipt, but CEX could contest that the noise you regard as unacceptable is the standard noise for the product and so not a fault, triggering a dull debate & 3rd party opinion required and more hassle than most punters would choose to tolerate.
    CEX would fund a rejected (defective) item return if it wanted its rubbish back, and you only have to make the rubbish available for collection - don't even need to pack it - although most reasonable customers would be happy to dump on CEX counter or send back using original packaging with (critically) a pre-paid label provided by CEX, meaning CEX has transit responsibility.
    For rejection, the refund
    ...must be given without undue delay, and in any event within 14 days beginning with the day on which the trader agrees that the consumer is entitled to a refund.

If cancelling:
    CEX doesn't host a cancellation form so optionally use the model cancellation form provided by Gov legislation at legislation.gov.uk/uks…003 or use the content to include in verbal / email notification of cancellation.
    CEX unhelpfully use the term "cancellation" in an implied non-legislation context here
    uk.support.webuy.com/sup…er-
    but for clarity: you can CANCEL an off-premises order for any reason up to 14 days after delivery.
    Author
    Thanks, I'll send them a cancellation notice and take it in store. I only got it middle of last week.

I don't think the noise is anything faulty, it's just a loud drive. The fact that it clunk's a bit when spinning up is more of a concern but wouldn't be grounds for a refund with them (from what I've heard).
    If you paid cash you will get a refund in cash
    Author
    As stated in the title, it was an online purchase - I paid by card
    Distant selling gives you a chance to change your mind when buying online for a product you are unable to handle.

"Online, mail and phone order sales
    Online, mail and telephone order customers have the right to cancel their order for a limited time even if the goods are not faulty. Sales of this kind are known as ‘distance selling’.

You must offer a refund to customers if they’ve told you within 14 days of receiving their goods that they want to cancel. They have another 14 days to return the goods once they’ve told you.

You must refund the customer within 14 days of receiving the goods back. They do not have to provide a reason."

gov.uk/acc…nds
    Correct - just one caveat: firms are not obliged to offer free returns. You may have to pay to return it. Unless ... the local store is willing to accept the return for a full refund
    Ask for refund based on change of mind. You have 14 days from date of receiving item in post.
    Refund will include the (lowest) cost of postage charged to originally send it to you.
's avatar