Posted 4 September 2023

Temps of NVME

This is probably a bit boring for most people, I have only used Gen3 but they have all got hot, I have a Kioxia Exceria G2 in my PC that idles around 48-50c with essentially 2 heatsinks (came with motherboard then you can put another metal block on top of it) on it and 2 casefans in a NR200P case. I recently got a fanxiang S500 Pro 1TB and it only ever got to 41c with no heatsink whilst writing 100%, just connected by USB running tests on it, all other NVME's I've had I had to actively cool to get them to stay just under 50c whilst writing via USB. How come this one is so much cooler? Any other really cool NVME's out there?
Community Updates
New Comment

1 Comment

's avatar
    The coolness may be because of HBM, where the drive uses the system's memory instead of its own, reducing power consumption (and therefore heat production) on the device (but probably increasing it overall).

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it, and I'd be wary of stacking heatsinks. NVMEs are a bit funny, in that you've got two parts which both prefer different temperature conditions, with the controller preferring to be kept cool, while the flash memory prefers to be kept warm. The heatspreader and drive controller should really aim to strike the balance of keeping both parts within comfortable operating range, and you shouldn't really need to intervene unless they show signs of falling outside of the operating range, which will typically manifest as seriously impaired performance.

If you're bored, could you run some tests with and without active cooling? You might actually find that active cooling inhibits performance on smaller ops, and only comes in useful (if even at all) with longer ops. Or it might be the opposite, or make no difference. I've never tested it before (personally, I've only ever added a heatsink because my PCIe 4.0 Sabrent was tanking down to 100MB/s and registering 95c, making my Windows perform sluggish af), so it might be interesting to see what happens.