Posted 3 June 2020

Virgin Media Equipment Return

Hi,

I disconnected from Virgin a couple of months ago at the end of March.

Since then nothing has been heard or any mentioned of returning equipment.

Today I received an email asking to collect the equipment.

Last week I cleared out my garage with a skip and the boxes were dumped.

Do I have any leg to stand on as I know it must be in the contract to return, its just no one mailed or asked for the equipment for 2 months and was just forgotten and disposed.

Cheers
Community Updates
New Comment

21 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I suspect you're going to struggle as it's their equipment and you knew it was meant to go back. Did you contact them to ask when they might collect or just leave it to them?

Either way, with the lockdown, it's reasonable to expect they would not of collected during that time so maybe premature to dispose of already. I suspect you'll be charged, maybe.
    Just buy a replacement on gumtree. People often put it on their for next to nothing.
    I still think no leg.

You already knew they were expected to go back, you even boxed them up and put them aside. I know they could of contacted you but you could also of contacted them asking when they would collect.

They may of said if you don't have space to keep them while we can't collect, then dispose. However, that's not the case and they're trying to arrange now.

Their site

Edit - forgot to add, their site states 80 days, if it's been longer than that then you could maybe argue "you made them available for collection" but as they were not collected within the 80 days, you reasonably expected you could dispose of (edited)
    I told them I threw it and they said I owed them for it that was 8 years ago and I never heard anything again.Got sky now so it’s a win-win for me
    Author
    Appreciate all your help. I found the V6 box in the cuboard luckily but the Router is definatly gone with the rubbish (edited)
    Author
    To be honest there was no mention about collection when cancelling. There was no communication about collection after disconnecting.

This is the first time i've heard from them about it.
    It depends on how old the equipment was, If you wasn't using the latest modem Tivo Boxes, they don't normally require them back and ask you to dispose of them. If they was the latest equipment then as they don't belong to you they will charge you.
    Author
    I guess my issue is at what point do you draw the line to holding on before they want to collect ?

I understand there's been a pandemic, and that works both ways. The equipment hasn't really been top of my mind the past 2 months.

A simple mail during cancellation or disconnection or during the 2 months about holding onto it for a couple of months for them or anything would have helped.

My issue is things are not always black and white hence asking about having a leg to stand on.
    Never heard of virgin media chasing for equipment. I've dumped plenty of it since the days of NTL.

They even shipped me like for like modem for self installation and never asked for the old one back, which was about 3 years ago now. (edited)
    ExeCuteUK12303/06/2020 15:08

I guess my issue is at what point do you draw the line to holding on …I guess my issue is at what point do you draw the line to holding on before they want to collect ?I understand there's been a pandemic, and that works both ways. The equipment hasn't really been top of my mind the past 2 months.A simple mail during cancellation or disconnection or during the 2 months about holding onto it for a couple of months for them or anything would have helped.My issue is things are not always black and white hence asking about having a leg to stand on.

I keep mine in the shed. Still there a year+ on. They always ask for it. Whether a prepaid mailing back or collecting in person (twice)
    Sent me prepaid last time.
    Phone me after a couple of days, saying they were coming to collect with the area now, but my mum was self isolating so said pick up later and 5 weeks later not heard from them.
    JSL03/06/2020 15:30

Never heard of virgin media chasing for equipment. I've dumped plenty of it …Never heard of virgin media chasing for equipment. I've dumped plenty of it since the days of NTL.They even shipped me like for like modem for self installation and never asked for the old one back, which was about 3 years ago now.

It's a bit random in my experience. A few times they sent out prepaid packaging, and constant pestering emails warning about the amount I'd be charged if I didn't hit their deadline for return. Other times, they didn't care at all.
    Mine just got collected today
    They only want
    v6
    Hubs 3 and 4s
    Boosters (edited)
    As somebody mentioned just buy one on Gumtree, hopefully they dont want the serial numbers up though!
    My old equipment they wanted back, TiVo v6 and SH3
    deleted145141203/06/2020 15:07

Just buy a replacement on gumtree. People often put it on their for next …Just buy a replacement on gumtree. People often put it on their for next to nothing.

That Will NOT work virgin when installing Boxes scan Serial Numbers to you're account (edited)
    Just wondering if anyone has anything further on this.
    I disconnected from virgin in May 2020 and have been contacted this week (March 2021) I think we disposed of the box just after Christmas in a clear out as we have had no communication from them until now. I asked at the time about returning it and they told me they would send out a return label which I never received. Is this a reasonable time for collection?
    just had a call to pick boxes up i left over 2 years ago how long do you have to keep the boxes.
    I’ve just had a text saying virgin are in your area and will come to collect virgin media equipment. It’s been 4 years since I was with them and I don’t even know where the equipment is now (edited)
    Can anyone update as to whether they were charged?
's avatar