Posted 19 September 2023

What spirit level to buy? - I eventually bought this one....

I want to purchase a spirit level but I'm not sure what brand or what type to purchase. I've read conflicting info about why an "i beam" is better than a "box beam" and visa-versa, and that it's easier to switch out the vial bodies in i beams vs box beams and that some levels come with a 10 year warranty but some only come with a 1 year warranty.

I want to invest in something that will last quite a few years, using it for general DIY tasks like door frames, shelves, floors, walls, etc. Maybe a 1m - 1.2m level. If the price is right I'd look at purchasing a set of levels of varying lengths.

Does anyone have any suggestions....there are so many out there. I want to purchase something that will last and that doesn't venture into the realms of weighing kilos. Both magnetic & non-magnetic would be considered. The budget is in the £50 area....for something that will last.

Thanks.
Community Updates
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Author
    Yeah, I saw this deal. I've been monitoring the site for a spirit level deal. I did some research and read some reviews that lead me to believe that the vial levels do not stay true for long in this set. It sort of put me off. Thanks for the suggestion though, appreciated.
    Stabila
    Don't buy cheap.

Stabila,
    Whichever you buy, make sure you do not get caught out with accidental damage, and buy a box of spare bubbles
    and some tartan paint . . .
    Just type "bubble level" into Google on your phone. Thank me later
    Or even better.

I'm sure there are a few deals sites around that you can search for those type of things
    OX Trade 4 Piece Level Set - 600, 1200 & 1800mm Trade Level and Trade 230mm Torpedo Level amzn.eu/d/i…cSi
    Author
    Thanks to all those who made suggestions.

I eventually went for this spirit level by Stabila (thanks to those that suggested this brand) and chose the 120cm option from FFX on Ebay here ebay.co.uk/itm…451

51034351-I3vNO.jpg
    Specifications here : stabila.com/en/…tml

There was a 10% off voucher on Ebay at the time and the item came in at just over £67 (a little above budget but it seemed like a good deal and I'm hoping this item will last a few years at least!).

There are mixed reviews on the operation of the LEDs but I guess I'll find out for myself. Worst case scenario is, if the LEDs are not so hot, then this level is still £20 cheaper than it's non-LED alternative ebay.co.uk/itm…Kgx and I'll just operate it without the LEDs.

This option should cater for all eventualities and is guaranteed accurate for 10 years. So, fingers crossed. I read reviews on some brands of levels, where the reviews claimed the levels were already off / inaccurate, at the point of sale before they'd even seen service.

Stabila appear to be the brand for spirit levels if you want accuracy and durability. It pays to shop around though. as the deals for this brand are constantly changing. (edited)
's avatar