Posted 28 January 2024

Who do I contact for a dead Echo Show

We bought an Echo Show 5 a year or so back, it's been working fine but a few days ago it stopped working and just displays the Amazon logo. I think we bought it from Argos.

We'd like to see if we can get a replacement or even a part refund, but I'm not sure who I go back to. I don't think it's Argos as it's been longer than a year, so I think we're in the 'return to manufacturer' time. Logic would suggest it's Amazon, but are they the actual manufacturers of the Echo devices? Can anyone recommend where I should go to start the process?

We've tried the hard reset and it just comes back to the same logo.
Community Updates
New Comment

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    You start with the retailer.
    Summary:
    approach trader as trader holds the statutory and legally enforceable product durability obligations for up to 6 years.
    Manufacturer / brand owner may offer a warranty but such warranty is non-enforceable, and for subject product is believed to have expired.
    But:
    manufacturer / brand owner may offer post-warranty incentive as gesture of goodwill to retain potential future business with consumer - maybe a discount on replacement, assuming the consumer would wish to expose themselves to purchasing another low-durability product.

Detail:
    Any product's statutory quality and durability obligations rest with the trader that sold the product - for up to 6 years since receipt (unless you live in a country that shafts its citizens by enforcing lesser period of 5 years, such as Scotland).
    If you believe the product should have sufficient durability to perform flawlessly since
    a year or so back
    and you haven't exposed the product to unreasonable abuse such as permitting it to be chased around your garden by your aggressive pet goldfish:
    you present the prematurely busted rubbish to the trader that sold it and inform the trader that you wish to have the bustedness resolved by the trader under Consumer Rights Act.

If the trader attempts to divert you to the manufacturer when you ask the trader the question:
    is (name of trader) exempt from Consumer Rights Act ?
    the trader will either:
    • play ball and inform you how it will process your CRA claim (that may or may not involve you obtaining independent functionality opinion)
    or
    • expose itself to all manner of legal dullness by telling you some rubbish that CRA doesn't apply, even though it does. Make a note of any such hilarious suggested exemption in front of the trader's staff & repeat it to them to clarify your note is accurate, then post the (non)exemption excuse here

Additionally:
    no idea of the spec being pedaled by Argos
    a year or so back
    but current marketing dullness stated by Argos for Amazon Echo Show 5 3rd Gen Smart Speaker is
    Manufacturer's 1 year guarantee.
    Brilliant lol
    Maybe it has the deep reset like Amazon Fire tablets? Google reset and factory reset for Echo Show. That's how I fixed a failing to charge beyond to 50% issue on an Amazon Fire tablet. It could also be a faulty power supply, try borrowing someone else's Echo Show power supply to check.
    Author
    It does, it's holding down mute and volume down for 20 seconds or so. It comes up with a 'factory resetting' prompt but then drops back to the same Amazon prompt.

Power supply is an interesting one, I wouldn't expect it to be a problem as it still gets to the Amazon prompt but we have some Echo Dots that use the same power supply so I'll give that a go.

Edit: No change with the other power supply, still nothing past the Amazon logo. (edited)
's avatar