Posted 7 October 2023

WiFi extender/repeater

I need to get a neighbour's internet from the house to the garage. They want to use WiFi on a laptop and run a Tapo wifi camera. The garage has it's own electrical supply so I can't use powerline kits. I've got an ethernet cable down there now but what's best at that end. A second router or some sort of WiFi extender?
Community Updates
New Comment

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    A mesh setup would be pointless here unless the 'garage' is a car collection. A single AP is more than enough to cover a typical double garage, you don't need multiple.
    Access point.
    Most routers will run in AP mode.
    Absolute cheapest suitable for browsing & undefined security cam could be a repurposed ISP lump,
    otherwise you're into the laws of diminishing return when throwing anything more than minimal £3 (three pounds) at CEX for a 2-years warranted TP-Link box, example:
    uk.webuy.com/pro…242
    with possible quick search result for AP config:
    tp-link.com/us/…ode
    Exactly what I use. Works great
    I had the same problem with the garage being at the end of the garden. Not the cheapest but I used a mesh system and it’s spot on
    I don't think I've seen a dedicated access point mode on any of my ISP provided routers. Some you can configure that way with enough knowledge but I've found range extenders often much easier to set up as access points.
    Look at a tenda Nova mesh system , cheap, but great at doing the job.
's avatar