Posted 30 June 2020

8TB Toshiba N300 vs Seagate IronWolf or WD Red for my Synology 218+?

Wow. I don't know what to buy as there are mixed review on all of them.

I understand all will fail once it reaches it life span. So I expect someone will say one last longer than other.

My questions is

Out of 3, which one give best price per performance ? (value for money)

Your comment is appreciated! thank you!
Community Updates
New Comment

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    WD red are generally regarded as best for NAS (there are some new SMR based reds that are not well regarded but not yet in 8TB so you dont need to worry about that).
    However, if you are a home user and just light use Im sure any would be fine. If you want to save some money and dont mind much on warranty you could risk shucking the externals @ 120 quid each it may be a decent option.
    Ironwolf are well regarded too, not heard about the Tosh and whether if it is designed for NAS.

Many think the whole designed for NAS it a bit of a marketing gimmick
    Fn6Dragon04/07/2020 14:10

Thanks. Now looking out for good 8TB WD external drive deals

Just make sure you read up on the "bit of electrical tape" that you sometime need to put around the pins - it isnt a big deal apparently.
    I would also keep an eye out for these in the size that you want
    amazon.co.uk/WD-…8-2

Or the EX2 ones...

Both are guaranteed WD Reds inside and often good value compared to buying bare drives. You also dont invalidate the warranty as they are replaceable
    Case in point
    2 drives in caddy is 499 that I linnked ...drive is 355 each on amazon
    Fn6Dragon04/07/2020 14:21

I see. Thanks for info. Never thought of these. 24TB Means they have 2 …I see. Thanks for info. Never thought of these. 24TB Means they have 2 times 12TB ?

Yes, assume you want 2 for your 218 unless you are going 1 drive initially (with backup) ?
    Make sure you look for the Duo, the Mybook is 1 drive the Mybook Duo 2 drives. Have a look on camelcamelcamel for price history they can be a really cheap option at times. I would definitley consider one of these for the drives if I needed more storage.
    Author
    mgk04/07/2020 14:06

WD red are generally regarded as best for NAS (there are some new SMR …WD red are generally regarded as best for NAS (there are some new SMR based reds that are not well regarded but not yet in 8TB so you dont need to worry about that).However, if you are a home user and just light use Im sure any would be fine. If you want to save some money and dont mind much on warranty you could risk shucking the externals @ 120 quid each it may be a decent option.Ironwolf are well regarded too, not heard about the Tosh and whether if it is designed for NAS.Many think the whole designed for NAS it a bit of a marketing gimmick

Thanks. Now looking out for good 8TB WD external drive deals
    Author
    mgk04/07/2020 14:16

Just make sure you read up on the "bit of electrical tape" that you …Just make sure you read up on the "bit of electrical tape" that you sometime need to put around the pins - it isnt a big deal apparently.I would also keep an eye out for these in the size that you want https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-24TB-Desktop-External-Drive/dp/B07W5V8GC9/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=mybook&qid=1593868506&sr=8-2Or the EX2 ones...Both are guaranteed WD Reds inside and often good value compared to buying bare drives. You also dont invalidate the warranty as they are replaceable

I see. Thanks for info. Never thought of these. 24TB Means they have 2 times 12TB ?
    Author
    mgk04/07/2020 14:39

Yes, assume you want 2 for your 218 unless you are going 1 drive initially …Yes, assume you want 2 for your 218 unless you are going 1 drive initially (with backup) ? Make sure you look for the Duo, the Mybook is 1 drive the Mybook Duo 2 drives. Have a look on camelcamelcamel for price history they can be a really cheap option at times. I would definitley consider one of these for the drives if I needed more storage.

Not sure difference.

All same price for different sizes

41293552-ou6dK.jpg
    Author
    mgk04/07/2020 14:39

Yes, assume you want 2 for your 218 unless you are going 1 drive initially …Yes, assume you want 2 for your 218 unless you are going 1 drive initially (with backup) ? Make sure you look for the Duo, the Mybook is 1 drive the Mybook Duo 2 drives. Have a look on camelcamelcamel for price history they can be a really cheap option at times. I would definitley consider one of these for the drives if I needed more storage.

any thought on amazon.co.uk/WD-…8-2 ?
    I think that is a good deal for the capacity. Look at the previous threads for this drive there wil be comments on Shucking. This wont be a WD Red, people tend to say they are "white" some claim they are the same, others say otherwise.
    Assume you are sucking it into your Synology?
    I would recommend you get 2 at the same time rather 1 and then a mis-matched drive later

I would add, I am not expert just giving you my views...tbh I dont think you can go far wrong when it is for home use. Over the last 7 years I have a mixture (all in pairs) of 2* WD RED Pro, 2 shucked 5TB Segates and 2 WD Greens, 2 sucked Toshibas and I have only had 1 drive start to show bad sectors - so I upgraded at that point (still using the 1 drive as a temp external but didnt trust it anymore for the NAS)
    Author
    mgk05/07/2020 13:40

I think that is a good deal for the capacity. Look at the previous threads …I think that is a good deal for the capacity. Look at the previous threads for this drive there wil be comments on Shucking. This wont be a WD Red, people tend to say they are "white" some claim they are the same, others say otherwise. Assume you are sucking it into your Synology?I would recommend you get 2 at the same time rather 1 and then a mis-matched drive laterI would add, I am not expert just giving you my views...tbh I dont think you can go far wrong when it is for home use. Over the last 7 years I have a mixture (all in pairs) of 2* WD RED Pro, 2 shucked 5TB Segates and 2 WD Greens, 2 sucked Toshibas and I have only had 1 drive start to show bad sectors - so I upgraded at that point (still using the 1 drive as a temp external but didnt trust it anymore for the NAS)

You are right. I’m getting two for by 2 bays synology. These “Element” models appear to use white wd like you said. I will save up and get WD red (or duo / EX drives). Many thanks.
    Fn6Dragon05/07/2020 13:59

You are right. I’m getting two for by 2 bays synology. These “Element” mode …You are right. I’m getting two for by 2 bays synology. These “Element” models appear to use white wd like you said. I will save up and get WD red (or duo / EX drives). Many thanks.

I didnt mean to put you off the whites... Just bear in mind u lose the warranty if you can't get them out of the enclosure without leaving marks... I have never got one out cleanly and tend to break so. E of the plastic tabs
's avatar