Posted 3 days ago

Advising Amazon about counterfeit DVDs

Hey everyone,

I wondered if anyone had any experience of telling Amazon about goods they're selling that are clearly counterfeit.

It's been bugging me that several 3rd party sellers have a 3 season box set of Star Wars The Mandalorian which isn't something that has been released.

Like this: The Mandalorian Complete Season 1-3 DVD Box Set amzn.eu/d/0…s2k

I thought there would be an easy mechanism for reporting this type of thing but I cannot find it. My best effort was to leave a damning review which Amazon then removed 😯

Thanks!
Community Updates
New Comment

30 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Need to view desktop website to see "Report an issue with this product" option 52167743-eboQd.jpg52167743-3wfLc.jpg52167743-CMbZB.jpg52167743-3eGZ4.jpg52167743-z8oBD.jpg
    Author
    Thank you! This just isn't visible on my phone or iPad!
    Author
    I'm very happy to note that Amazon currently has no Mandalorian dvd counterfeits for sale
    Ayyyyy! Victory!
    (Generally) it's the seller you want to report, not the actual item page (as there will be legitimate sellers with genuine items on the webpage - we would assume!).

(edit: Actually, reading comprehension fail - I see that this box set hasn't been released yet - so they'll all be counterfeit!).

I sometimes report small things like - a listing having the wrong information - or if a seller sends me a tiny bottle (500ml) instead of a 5 Litre jug (disputing this right now). Hate to say it but Amazon tend not to fix listing errors - it does happen, but it appears to be rare.

The 500ml bottle that showed up instead of the described, pictured larger item is still rumbling on, weeks later. I submitted photos to both the seller and Amazon and I appear to be stuck - it was the third-party seller's mistake!

I find phoning Amazon usually gets better results - those on Live Chat promise all sorts but it's rare anything meaningful actually happens.

Emailing seems to get things done too - last time I emailed (with screenshots) the webpage was fixed within 24 hours. It was jeff@amazon.com but I'm pretty sure that has changed.

( A few email addresses to try from here:
    managingdirector@amazon.co.uk
    ajassy@amazon.com
    escalation-callback@amazon.co.uk ) - the first one is reckoned to be the most effective. The dot com ones will get forwarded on (being US email addresses), apparently and will kill more time.

I used jeff@amazon.com after Jeff Bezos had left and still got a response!

As for negative reviews warning people getting removed by Amazon, that's happened to me (very frustrating) - it's arbitrary what Amazon deems appropriate. Often Amazon's AI looks for trigger words and certain subjects aren't allowed (learnt a bit more about this after joining Vine). For example, any language that hints at health or medical benefits (eg, when reviewing a supplement) has to be rewritten in politician-speak.

Facebook Marketplace's AI is even worse (edited)
    Author
    Thank you! Amusingly I can no longer report items... When I try I get a message about entering a valid email address, which of course is nonsense!

I will continue this quest though, including this beauty:

The Lord of the rings,the rings of Power Season 1 DVD amzn.eu/d/8…UnQ
    Reported ;-)
    Author
    Thanks! This is my new hobby for a while now
    Not clear how OP can circumvent the second sentence on that page:
    If you are not a rights owner or their agent, Amazon will not be able to process complaints submitted through this form
    tips@disneyantipiracy.com

It's for reporting such matters to Disney in the US. Guess they can pass it on to someone in UK.
    In my experience, Amazon are not bothered about the counterfeits that they sell.
    This! Same as eBay. As long as they're getting their cut.

Why not buy it and then complain? You'll likely be told to not bother sending it back and be refunded = seller gets screwed over (edited)
    Just to add on a slightly different note, although perhaps relevant in your case. Disney are very strict on counterfeit clothing, they give one warning then then take action, maybe the same for video.
    The bigger question is, why does Amazon still have a stock item page for these goods? Surely, whilst the items have a placeholder, it'll only take a short while until a new seller pops up.
    Author
    I imagine it's because Amazon doesn't actually care other than giving lip service to the idea that they will do something if pushed.
's avatar