Posted 2 September 2023

Any chromebook experts out there?

My daughters hp chromebook won't turn on! I've gone the YouTube route and tried a few different fixes, still nothing.

Maybe a new battery? Maybe needs a hammer putting through it

Thanks for reading and hopefully someone can help. Cheers!
Community Updates
New Comment

17 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Is it still under warranty? If so I would just send it straight off for repair rather than trying to mess around with it for too long.

I don't think battery would be the issue. If the battery was acting up it should still start up when plugged in to the power supply.

Is the any more information about it not switching on? Was it working fine the last time it was on and then just didn't come back on? Or were there early warning signs, or odd behaviour before or during the point where it broke? Finally, are there any signs of life right now? (Power lights, charging lights, sounds, or output when connected to an external display for example)
    If the battery is charged I think the steps are, remove the mains charger from the Chromebook, then Press and hold the power button and refresh button for 10 seconds. (The refresh button is the 3/4 circle with an arrow key above keys 3,4 on the top row). Then plug the charger back in, if no power lights are shown try the above process again. If you get a light try to boot the Chromebook.

Hope that is some help, if not it may have been hit with a power surge as it failed when it was charging
    Author
    Yeah, tried that. Still no joy
    The only other option is if you have another charger that you could try just in case the one you have is causing some type of issue (long shot).
    Author
    Tried another charger. No luck. Think it's time to visit my local tech shop. Thanks for ya help
    - how's it going, any update?
    Author
    A friend kindly gifted my daughter with their old (fully working ) laptop . So I'm in no rush to get the chromebook looked at for now.
    Author
    No warranty, its about 3 yr old. She was just watching YouTube when it just died, power supply was in at the time, so had plenty of charge. Right now, when plugged in, the little light is solid white. That's about all the life I can get out of it
    Sounds like it's taking a charge still which is a good sign.

Does it have a light in the power button or next to it that would usually be lit when it's on? Assuming this doesn't show any signs of life when you do try and turn it on(?)

Small chance (realted to the above question) that it could more be a problem with the screen(?) Do you have a dock/USB C hub with HDMI output on it that you can use to test with an external monitor? (edited)
    Author
    I don't have the right connection to hook up to a monitor. No light on the keys. Only the solid white light nxt to charging port when connected. When pressing refresh & power together, that light does flash, that's all the life I seem to get. No other lights and no sounds.
    Thanks. Can only suggest picking up an adaptor for <£7 (if you have Prime) to see - amazon.co.uk/dp/…43P

Some positive signs then on power and refresh together. Have you tried...

Press and hold Esc + Refresh , then press Power . Let go of Power.

That's the way into recovery mode.

Beyond that......probably useless but see 'Recovery Option 2', creating a bootable USB drive to restore ChromeOS. Could see if creating and trying to boot off this does anything.....(long shot) - support.google.com/chr…=en
's avatar