Posted 10 October 2023

Bike help please

Looking to get a bike on the Cycle2Work scheme, so will have to be from Evans Cycles.

I'm 5 foot 11 and want to keep to a budget of £400. I will be mainly riding on roads and canal paths so I believe a hybrid bike is the best option.

I have looked at the Cannondale Quick 6, Specialized Sirrus 1.0 and the Pinnacle Lithium 1 but I am new to cycling so any advice is appreciated.

The Pinnacle Lithium 3 seems a decent option but is only available in medium, which is too small according to the size guide.

Any advice is welcome. Thank you in advance.
Community Updates
New Comment

4 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Can't offer much advice, but I would add that it's worth considering Cycle2Work just an option, and not necessarily your only means of getting in to it. Personally, I found the scheme to be no good for me - I didn't like the terms, didn't want the added faff and delay, and found that it was actually a more expensive means to get a bike, since what savings there were were negated by the diminished value offered by the restricted lineup of suppliers. Maybe it'll work for you, though.
    Go into a shop first if you can and try them for size. The very best bike shops let you take bikes out for a spin, but I think Evans will just let you sit on them in the shop. It's better than nothing though and will let you feel what's comfortable.

I had a look at a Pinnacle Lithium and thought it was great value for money. I'm about your height and tried the M and L in the shop, and one of them definitely felt better than the other- sorry, can't remember which!

(I didn't buy it in the end - didn't really need it as I already have a stack of bikes...)

EDIT: Evans is owned by Sports Direct, so if you have a local Sports Direct store you might find they have an Evans section in there. (edited)
    The scheme is fantastic just finished the year -made my final payment! My bike was £580 has cost me about £360.

Trek Marlin 5!

If it was me I’d go with the Specialized but why the £400 limit is it the aprx monthly payments?
    Author
    Just planning to try a cheaper, basic bike for a year then may decide to upgrade next year if I get enough use out of it. Also will need something easy to look after as I will be learning as I go.

I will have a look at other retailers and visit Sports Direct, as I didn't know they owned Evans. Thanks for the advice.
's avatar