Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Posted 1 day ago

Car mileage discrepancy problem

Hi, just looking for general advice or guidance please.

I bought a car from a reputable dealer in May 2023 and just went to trade it in to another dealer and was told the VOSA mileage check shows a discrepancy and has a red flag. I have run a hpi check of my own and the mileage went up to 50k ish and back down to 40k ish just a few days before i purchased it. At the time of purchase i used Vcheck which didnt show any problems.

My car is now valued 6k less than it should be and im not sure what to do or what my rights are. It cost £27k and I dont have finance on it. I have contacted the dealership who gave me an email and have already started saying they are under new management, whatever that means.

The dealership even proclaims on their adverts "mileage fully checked" etc.

I reckon the mileage was entered incorrectly when the last private plate was removed. As it was not an mot mileage entry.
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    "Under New Management" doesn't mean it is not the same company.

I suggest you find this out first before anything else but do not let them know you are doing it.
    I agree with checking out the company....if you say its a reputable dealer check out your sales invoice to get the actual company name.

Look it up on companies house check here to get the company number

If the company number is the same ....even if the company name has changed....its the same legal company.

Even if theres a new Ltd company trading from the site is your reputable dealer still trading from another site elsewhere.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding the mileage history itself/red flag etc it might be worth contacting the DVSA itself to see what they can do for you. They have a web page about contacting them to correct incorrect mileages here

gov.uk/get…kes

I wonder if they could give you the full vehicle history by Vin number ....so you can follow all the mileages and plate changes along the way

At least you'll know what exactly has caused the red flag and got it from the horses mouth ...so to speak...
    Can you send me the reg so I can have a look? It could be a genuine mistake! My mams car the MoT tester messed up putting an extra number on her MoT back in 2015 see below

52090319-Y4Htf.jpg
    Anybody with half a brain could see the mess up on this, but when I rang DVLA to get it sorted they said it has to be within 30 days, so it's stuck like this.
    Is that you Elon?

Author
    I got it sorted, called HPI themselves who admitted a mileage error when the last private plate was removed (they pulled the mileage from the new car of that plate owner) they corrected it and have now updated the database.
    Result
    How old is the car - ie can you check the mot history?
    Author
    Yes, 66 plate, Mot history is fine
's avatar