Posted 14 September 2023

Crucial SSD problems

I have many spinning hard disks in my house, mostly with backups from over a number of years.

Over the last few years I have been buying SSDs (2.5" not NVME) to move my backups from spinning hard disks to SSD. These are "bare" drives not part of an enclosure.

I now have about 25 SSDs and most of them are Crucial MX500 (others Sandisk or Kingston) and previously had no problems with any of them.

A few years ago I started buying Crucial MX500 250GB SSDs, then as prices dropped moved up to Crucial 500Gb, then Crucial 1TB and now bought my first Crucial 2TB drives.

It is the two "new" 2TB drives that are giving me problems.

I get lots of strange problems after copying files such as:

I copy a load of files from a spinning hard disk to the Crucial 2TB SSD. I right click on both folders (source and target) and check the number of files and the size of the folders are the same, and they are.

I then turn off the PC and turn it on again and now the folder on the target SSD has LESS files in it and it is of course a different size.

Sometimes the "target" folder has disappeared totally. I look at the space left on the SSD and it seems the files are still on the SSD, but they just don't show up.

If I turn the PC off and on again and sometimes the folder has reappeared, or the "missing" files have returned (or some of them), but then I try and delete the folder but I cant delete it. It does not react to any "delete" request.

Sometimes I get a message saying the SSD is corrupt and a scan might correct the problem but sometimes not.

Sometimes individual files that were INSIDE a folder on the SSD suddenly appear outside the folder as though it has lost the pointer to where it should be.

These are just examples of what can go wrong, lots of other weird problems.

It happens on BOTH SSDs not just one of them.

I am now scared to use these SSDs as I don't want to copy data on to them and delete the original on the spinning hard disk to then find files go missing on the 2TB SSDs.

The PCs I am using are both Dell Optiplex (from about 2018) with Windows 10 Pro. I put the source drive in one PC and the target drive in the other, both as "slave disks, and copy the files from one PC to the other over my wired network.

I ALWAYS check the source and target folders after doing a copy to make sure all the files have copied across.

Never had a problem with any spinning hard disks or with any other SSDs.

I am very experienced with copying and moving files and have moved hundreds of gigabytes of data around to different devices, hard disks, SSDs etc over the years. so I don't think it is anything I am doing.

Is it because the SSDs are 2TB in size?, are both disks faulty?, or is there any change I can make to my PCs (different hardware or software)?

Are my PCs to old to cope with a 2TB SSD drive? (even though I have had 4TB and 6TB spinning drives in them in the past)

Thanks for an help or advice.
Community Updates
New Comment

15 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Sounds like a fault with the two 2tb disks to me.

On especially important stuff I also use teracopy that will hash check original and copied files. (edited)
    Could be a number of things. configuration, firmware or a faulty SSD.

Have you tried a different sata port/socket or a different sata cable?

Have you installed the "crucial storage executive" software?

uk.crucial.com/sup…ive

It's very important to have everything configured correctly. The latest bios, the correct bios/uefi settings and most up-to-date firmware for the actual ssd.

I would suggest you install it, check for a firmware update. Then run some diagnostic tests on the drive and see if it reports any problems with it.

Crucial tech support or warranty claims may require you to do this anyway, before they will do anything else.
    Did you buy them from a reputable supplier or was it an amazon/ebay or other marketplace purchase that could be dodgy stock?
    Author
    Bought them from Amazon, but not from an outside supplier, from Amazon themselves.
    Do I recall, someone telling me Windows does not like > 2TB disks? Are the 2TB disks partitioned? If not, what happens when you partition them using GPT method?
    I have used many drives on windows and never had any problems like the above. 8tb 6tb 4tb 2tb
    First point is that is not a backup... That is just another copy of your data, which is not a backup.

I'll second the teracopy suggestion (if you turn off the built in Windows virus protection you can get even faster throughput)

It sounds like some weird cache issue, however if you haven't changed the defaults I would process a warranty.

50987925-GTYBP.jpg
    Author
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

I did have one Crucial SSD with data on it (not these 2TB drives) and ran Crucial Storage Executive.

It said I needed a firmware update but after I ran it and updated the firmware the data on the SSD was lost.

So just a warning - DONT run a firmware update on a Crucial SSD with data on it. (edited)
    Fwiw I have seen chatter on here, on mx / bx drive deals, that recent drives suffer higher than normal failure rates.
's avatar