Posted 15 October 2023

Do you have a winter bike? is it needed?

I started riding this year and have been getting to work on a gravel bike. I am wondering if I should get a winter bike like a hard tail with big tires for the winter ride to work, but dunno if its worth doing.. my gravel bike is ok.. just the tires are like what you'd find on a hybrid bike.
Community Updates
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    It depends on your route, road conditions, weather in the part of the country you live it etc.

For me in the south, when I used to cycle commute, I used the same road bike all year. There was usually only a couple of weeks of snow and ice but 99% of my route was roads on a bus route and it was always gritted and only a bit wet and slushy when I was on it. The other 1% was the road outside my house and it was easier for me to walk my bike two minutes to the main road.

If you are on the road, mountain bike tyres are not going to help but they may if you are cycling through a park, field or roads which do not get gritted and cleared.
    [deleted]
    Author
    Hmm I may just upgrade the tires for winter tires. I just feel the current ones would not holdup well in winter.
    i got 2 bikes my really good bike for summer an crappy 1 for winter im not bothered about suppose it depends wot yer good bikes worth (edited)
    If you're happy to maintain your gravel bike and keep the worst of the salt and grime off it, there's no point at all in getting another bike just because you're pondering wider tyres.

You've not mentioned if your rides are all on road or not, if it's on, then I'd keep going as you are with the addition of mudguards, if there's off road then tyres that can cope with heavier mud etc
's avatar