Posted 21 September 2023

Ducting a Dehumidifier to create a PIV.

Hello I'm after some advice to see if anyone has done anything similar.

I have a Meaco Junior Dessicant Dehumidifier. I am wondering if I set up some ducting from an outside vent to the air intake,for example like you would a Portable AC unit, would I be in essence creating a sort of PIV system? Thus have a steady stream of dry, slightly warm air entering my apartment.

Ta.
Community Updates
New Comment

4 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    - It would be horrendously expensive to run
    - Restricting the air intake may damage the dehumidifier as it’s not designed for that
    - The amount of air being moved by the time you take into account losses from the ducting would be rather low
    - There are proper systems available for this, or even just a opening a couple of windows would be a more elegant solution
    Agreed, running costs would be very high , a PIV fan uses a few watts to run whereas a dehumidifier must be 300+ watts.

There are PIV made for flats which would be much more effective and cost effective.
    Just get a proper PIV. They are worth every penny. There is not many things I would pay double what I paid for it, but I would happily pay double for another if I needed to (edited)
    A PIV and a dehumidifier both basically serve the same purpose, so doubling up seems an expensive way to go about it, unless your problem is absolutely huge, in which case, remedial action would be better.
's avatar