Posted 12 May 2022

EON pushing me to install smart meter after takeover of my collapsed supplier.

Any benefits? or pitfalls?

My simple old world logic says if you use less, you pay less.

How would it help me lower my bills?

Or is it just big brother creeping into last vesitges of freedom and monitoring my moves/ via usage patterns. They will know when I am away on holidays (lack of usage data.)

Anyone managed to avoid such pushy utilities ? Or unavoidable, eventually.
Community Updates
New Comment

61 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    i ignore the letters they give up eventually
    cliosport6513/05/2022 08:35

Scaremongering remote shut off isn't even …Scaremongering remote shut off isn't even a function in them, it's worrying what people believe

Scaremongering? What people believe?

You mean like believing the Governments own technical specifications for Smart Meters? Most notably section 4.5.3.10 for Gas Meters which states:

"4.5.3.10 Disable Supply
    A Command to establish a Locked state whereby the Supply is Disabled and can only be Armed in response to a Command to Arm the Supply (as described in4.5.3.7).In executing the Command GSME shall be capable of setting the Supply State(4.6.5.18) to Disabled.
    "

And Section 5.6.3.11 for Electric. which states:

"5.6.3.11 Disable Supply
    A Command to establish a Locked state whereby the Supply is Disabled and can only be Enabled or Armed in response to a Command to Arm the Supply (as described in 5.6.3.7) or Enable the Supply (as described in 5.6.3.12)In executing the Command ESME shall be capable of setting the Supply State(5.7.5.32) to Disabled.
    "

Or believing the various energy companies' Terms and Conditions, where you will find something that reads a lot like the following, from SSE's Terms and Conditions which state:

"23.3.5. If we need to make changes to your supply of Energy we may do this using your Smart Meter without having to visit your Property. This may include repairing or updating the Smart Meter, changing your Smart Meter from a credit meter to a Pay As You Go meter or disconnecting your supply (all in accordance with the terms of this Contract)"

Or are they scaremongering too?
    cliosport6512/05/2022 21:25

I quite like our smart meters, easy in home display and no meter reading …I quite like our smart meters, easy in home display and no meter reading needed what's not to like

When enough homes have them they will use surge pricing, so electric used between certain times will cost more.. that will be when you need it the most..
    Don’t know if it has been raised already but I guess a smart meter can give an indication of appliances that are using a lot of energy (switch off non-essential stuff overnight to see what fridges/freezers are using for instance then introduce other appliances gradually).
    Author
    So they are on the gravy train becasue govt. paid/subsidised them !

How can they reduce my bills is the big question that no one asks. And privacy/monitoring issues .

Their marketing bumff is all airy fairy.
    Deen_Gray12/05/2022 23:17

I’ve got the smets1 (was in the house on British Gas when wet moved in) c …I’ve got the smets1 (was in the house on British Gas when wet moved in) changed supplier to eon. They said they can’t read the meters as they’re not compatible but amazingly they read the meters a month ago accurately. I don’t mind the smart meters as long as I don’t have to pay for them

Energy providers were forced to provide software updates to make their smets1 meter readings available to all providers and that's slowly happening for the ones that haven't been replaced, although as 3g is being pulled by most mobile companies by the end of this year and 2g is expected to start being phased out in 2025, they could go dumb again, unless they use another method to communicate.

We are all paying for the scheme whether we have a smart meter or not, they are funded by raising everybody's energy prices. thisismoney.co.uk/mon…tml

This brings potential grand total of £75 to 80 per year - or £750 to £800 over the course of a decade. This is far more than the potential savings customers are estimated to make from the devices. (edited)
    u66454113/05/2022 07:57

Don’t know if it has been raised already but I guess a smart meter can g …Don’t know if it has been raised already but I guess a smart meter can give an indication of appliances that are using a lot of energy (switch off non-essential stuff overnight to see what fridges/freezers are using for instance then introduce other appliances gradually).

A smart wifi plug with power monitoring (which can be had from about £10) would be better for that as you could monitor an individual appliance like a fridge for about a week to get a much more accurate idea of its average power consumption with normal use.

And with hardwired devices like a central heating pump, you can check the motor wattage on the label and estimate how many hours it is on per day so that you can work out how long a modern efficient one will take to pay for itself. (edited)
    wow! so much paranoia about smart meters in here and no clue why!
    I quite like our smart meters, easy in home display and no meter reading needed what's not to like
    Main disadvantage if you've got a smart meter at the moment is you can't accidently submit a few exaggerated readings to pay in advance for cheaper electricity before a price hike!

Having smart meters wouldn't reduce my energy usage at-all, so I ignore requests to fit one. I think it only makes sense to fit a smart meter when the old meter actually needs replacing/recalibrating, otherwise it is a huge waste of money that's putting up everybody's bills.

What's more they've wasted a fortune on misleading adverts promoting them, then on installing first gen meters that are tied to the original energy company and dumb when you switch, then replacing them with smets2 meters, which they've now got to replace, or upgrade for the 2g and 3g switch off. (edited)
    There's a bit of a dastardly plan once the nation is wired up to Smart Meters. Some of the providers want to introduce peak hours pricing.
    With a smart meter, their ambition can be realised.

As EV adoption gains momentum, they don't want to be in a position where everybody comes back from work and plugs in their EV for charging for the night, straining the network (today's equivalent of everybody turning on the kettle during the first break of Coronation Street or the TV premiere of a big film or a big sports event)!

They are dressing it up as giving YOU, the consumer, the power to be aware of how much energy you are using to curb your usage or minimise wastage, but that it is pure corporate Bee-Esse salad. They don't want you to minimise your usage. They want to be able to avoid infrastructure upgrades if they can get away with it.
    They are floating the idea out to people, them taking power from your connected EV during peak hours when they need extra capacity, in exchange for a monthly credit (if you contribute for at least a number of consecutive days) and a promise to have your car back to ready charged state for the start of your day. Octopus Energy have all sorts of pre-prepared answers about the reduction of battery lifespan if raised as a consumer concern.

Smart meters ends their cashflow issue waiting for the customer to submit readings potentially owing THEM money which gets paid for in installments during the less demanding summer months. Haven't paid? Can be remotely deactivated via a smart-meter.

It's a rigged game, IMHO.

Install a wind turbine or two near the House of Commons and that's the nation's energy requirements taken care of with the amount of hot air and guffaws coming out of Westminster. (edited)
    Author
    tcf13/05/2022 11:41

It's a no-brainer to get one if you have an electric car, in order to get …It's a no-brainer to get one if you have an electric car, in order to get cheap off-peak charging. I've saved £400 over this last year, compared to charging at peak rates.

I dont have ELectric car and not many people do as yet.

SO it proves there is already peak pricing practices going on and it will get worse. Surge pricing and all that jazz.
    I was with eon during the first lockdown , they insisted they will install a smart meter but I was adamant I didn’t want one ( and still don’t ) , they’d keep sending me text messages to book an appointment for the installation but I never did . Maybe one day down the line it will become mandatory but I’m pretty certain it is not compulsory to have one installed at this moment in time . Ignore them or say no or inform them of your rights not to accept a smart meter . Crazy how they are forcing these things on us .

I submit my readings monthly and I like it that way because then I can keep an eye on it and know when something seems off ( i have actually clawed back money because I submitted readings manually , something I probably would’ve missed if I had a smart meter )
    Author
    deleted10216913/05/2022 14:17

There's a bit of a dastardly plan once the nation is wired up to Smart …There's a bit of a dastardly plan once the nation is wired up to Smart Meters. Some of the providers want to introduce peak hours pricing.With a smart meter, their ambition can be realised.As EV adoption gains momentum, they don't want to be in a position where everybody comes back from work and plugs in their EV for charging for the night, straining the network (today's equivalent of everybody turning on the kettle during the first break of Coronation Street or the TV premiere of a big film or a big sports event)!They are dressing it up as giving YOU, the consumer, the power to be aware of how much energy you are using to curb your usage or minimise wastage, but that it is pure corporate Bee-Esse salad. They don't want you to minimise your usage. They want to be able to avoid infrastructure upgrades if they can get away with it.They are floating the idea out to people, them taking power from your connected EV during peak hours when they need extra capacity, in exchange for a monthly credit (if you contribute for at least a number of consecutive days) and a promise to have your car back to ready charged state for the start of your day. Octopus Energy have all sorts of pre-prepared answers about the reduction of battery lifespan if raised as a consumer concern.Smart meters ends their cashflow issue waiting for the customer to submit readings potentially owing THEM money which gets paid for in installments during the less demanding summer months. Haven't paid? Can be remotely deactivated via a smart-meter.It's a rigged game, IMHO.Install a wind turbine or two near the House of Commons and that's the nation's energy requirements taken care of with the amount of hot air and guffaws coming out of Westminster.

Very well said.

ALl these utility companies sound very patronising and make it sound as if THEY are doing you a favour out of the goodness of their heart.

The opposite is true and they are always on the lookout for ways to squeeze every extra penny they can pinch from the consumers.

If they really wanted to help us consumers, why not just reduce the prices for one and all ?

Oh wait.........No one has mentioned the word, GREED.
    from this site citizensadvice.org.uk/con…ed/
    you dont have to accept a smart meter BUT don't be surprised if you cannot access cheaper tarrifs - unlikely at the moment as many of us are on capped rates.
    Don't fret.. I was really pushed hard by e.on for ages..letters upon letters.. text messages... 'your meter is too old' blah blah. Ignored em. They eventually gave up. If you don't want it, you don't HAVE to have it was my school of thought.
    It's a meter, but it can send usage data every 30 mins if so desired, and you get an IHD (In Home Display) that will show you live data (or within 10 secs) of what you are using.

I wouldn't be without a smart meter, but I have benefitted greatly as I got off my ass and did some real research until the Daily Fail readers you get so often berating them. Through Octopus on Agile I was able to have pricing every half hour that differed, so you could make use of very cheap electricity, not as good right now with prices being very unpredictable, you also would have times where you'd get paid to consume electricity, e.g. when it was very windy at night or on a Sunday etc. Currently I use Octopus Go and I pay only 5.5p per kWh from 20:30 until 01:30, both of these are impossible without a smart meter.
    I also have a Solar PV array, and I get paid 7.5ppkWh exported although having a home battery I store a lot, but I do try and sell and re-import at night as I make 2ppkWh right now.

Your meter will eventually have to be replaced whether you agree or not as they can only stay in callibration for so long, and they will no longer recalibrate older meters, you'll just get a new smart one.
    No means no.
    There is no legal requirement to have one, end of story.

I personally wouldn’t have one in our house.

My mother in law, who is getting on a bit, does have a smart meter and experiences constant issues with it, so much so her supplier incorrectly reduced her direct debit to amount that realistically will not cover the cost of energy she is actually using. We have had no end of issues trying to help resolve this.
    deleted192272213/05/2022 05:10

When enough homes have them they will use surge pricing, so electric used …When enough homes have them they will use surge pricing, so electric used between certain times will cost more.. that will be when you need it the most..

Maybe maybe not, too many theories that people believe not to have one. It's a smart meter that sends live data to the energy supplier, so accurate bills and no more estimated readings which means more money in your pocket not in the energy suppliers also you don't have to read the meter anymore I think people just don't like change and not everything new is bad

nightswimmer13/05/2022 05:57

Whilst I agree in principle to this, unfortunately this kind of pricing …Whilst I agree in principle to this, unfortunately this kind of pricing structure will disproportionately effect the elderly, sick, disabled and poor, who do not necessarily have the luxury (or ability) to hold off their energy usage until these cheaper times of the day. In theory, a more efficient system should push the cost of energy down for everyone, so perhaps my fears will be unfounded, but when was the last time you experienced any utility company actually putting prices down when more efficient practices were put in place, despite promises?On top of this, as someone who's access to electricity is fairly vital, the fact that every smart meter has the ability to remotely cut off the power to my house scares me greatly. Not so much the electricity companies themselves shutting them off, but third party actors. There is no network on earth that is 100% secure, and it has already been demonstrated in America that smart meters can be hacked and remotely shut off. Had the energy companies not insisted that this feature be included in the meters (kind of odd they would do this, given they state they would never use this feature, and by doing so they increased the cost of every meter ), I would be much more in favour of them.

Scaremongering remote shut off isn't even a function in them, it's worrying what people believe (edited)
    cliosport6513/05/2022 08:35

Maybe maybe not, too many theories that people believe not to have one. …Maybe maybe not, too many theories that people believe not to have one. It's a smart meter that sends live data to the energy supplier, so accurate bills and no more estimated readings which means more money in your pocket not in the energy suppliers also you don't have to read the meter anymore I think people just don't like change and not everything new is bad :)Scaremongering remote shut off isn't even a function in them, it's worrying what people believe

it's so much hassle to send a reading lol. i agree in general people don't like change but when it comes to tech i always keep up but not when i don't know whats going to happen. always jumping ahead can cost more sometimes. i'll wait and see..
    deleted192272213/05/2022 13:45

if that happens then, i get one till then i won't. or i'll just put …if that happens then, i get one till then i won't. or i'll just put everything on at peak times and get money worth

The discounts will always go to the smart meters first, becasue they are the ones that can be specifically targetted when costs are low. You can already charge your car at night for 5p/kw if you have a smart meter, not with a dumb one. If you have a powerwall and solar you can sell your spare kw for the same price you buy in for, again only for smart meters. There was a tariff that even gave you negative costs sometimes if too much was in the grid! It's just economy 7 with more than 2 settings.

Smart meters help the energy grid manage load, which makes it more efficient. I suspect once everyone has been offered a meter and had the chance for installation the energy firms will start charging a fee for the extra grid management costs to those with dumb meters, in the same way many firms charge you more if you don't use a DD.
    Pandamansays13/05/2022 18:51

This is so wrong, almost 50% of the meter is dedicated to the part which …This is so wrong, almost 50% of the meter is dedicated to the part which can remotely cut you off.My local facebook group often has someone who's meter has malfunctioned and cut them off.

Never heard of someone been remotely been cut off only people scaremongering, so this will be interesting if anyone here has actually had it remotely cut off?
    nightswimmer13/05/2022 10:10

Scaremongering? What people believe?You mean like believing the …Scaremongering? What people believe?You mean like believing the Governments own technical specifications for Smart Meters? Most notably section 4.5.3.10 for Gas Meters which states:"4.5.3.10 Disable SupplyA Command to establish a Locked state whereby the Supply is Disabled and can only be Armed in response to a Command to Arm the Supply (as described in4.5.3.7).In executing the Command GSME shall be capable of setting the Supply State(4.6.5.18) to Disabled."And Section 5.6.3.11 for Electric. which states:"5.6.3.11 Disable SupplyA Command to establish a Locked state whereby the Supply is Disabled and can only be Enabled or Armed in response to a Command to Arm the Supply (as described in 5.6.3.7) or Enable the Supply (as described in 5.6.3.12)In executing the Command ESME shall be capable of setting the Supply State(5.7.5.32) to Disabled."Or believing the various energy companies' Terms and Conditions, where you will find something that reads a lot like the following, from SSE's Terms and Conditions which state: "23.3.5. If we need to make changes to your supply of Energy we may do this using your Smart Meter without having to visit your Property. This may include repairing or updating the Smart Meter, changing your Smart Meter from a credit meter to a Pay As You Go meter or disconnecting your supply (all in accordance with the terms of this Contract)"Or are they scaremongering too?

so worrying I think you have misread that as it is referring to PAYG ie top up meters with a card or key.

Which yes will have a remote disable and enable otherwise they would just keep supplying energy for free so yes needs to stop once the credit has been used up exactly like the old meters.

This doesn't apply for a normal smart meter which you pay the bill for

But believe what you wish your entitled too
    Whilst I like my smart meter. I understand others 'worries' about what they maybe used for in the future (peak billing etc). I just like to see what I'm using so I can be better at what we use.

However as they can't force you off the capped rate (as far as I know). Then they can't force you onto a smart meter until legislation allows them too.
    Scottish Power are doing the same with me when I took out my Tariff with them you did not need to have a smart meter like you did with some of the other tariffs. I have no intention of having a Smart Meter and as far as I know they can not make you have one.
    Author
    Its becoming a minefield of options, with such stick and carrot approach and tactics.
    they tried to put one in my property, luckily when they came, I had asbestos, so couldn’t do it, that was 4-5 years ago, not heard from them since
    We had one of the first ones fitted, just for sheer curiosity more than anything. It made no difference to our consumption, and after a few weeks we stuck the display unit in the cupboard and forgot about it.

We only really looked at it with the recent price rises, turns out they'd not been reporting for quite a while (long story on another thread).

Oh yeah, and melted raises a good point. Our meters are tied to British Gas so they'd stop working anyway!
    BG were forcing me into it, to get the best tariffs.
    I book it for the longest date in the future and waited until the day before, then called and said I had an emergency dentist appointment.
    Went online a month later and rebooked for 9 weeks later.
    Then had Covid ( or man flu ).
    They gave up in the end.
    My son has continually has problems with smart meters he had the first replaced because they didn't work and the new ones are the same they don't send readings in so he ends up putting them in on line and the bills are massive much more then his old meters he had them put in 2 yrs ago .
    Don't do it
    I refused with shell and told them to take me off the list. You end up paying for the meter. I submit readings every month
    It’s big business installing smart meters, has been for years. Initially was government backed by money given to suppliers to install them, and rushed out. Not sure if the companies get money from the government still for these, but most likely do.
    I don’t need 1 either, parents have 1 they don’t look at anymore, just curious at first!
    Waste of everyone’s money, use common sense.
    Just ignore them you don't have to have one. Also what is with people and the "big brother" comments in 2022. We all own smartphones that listen to us and advertise to us based on what the device has heard. Yet you're worried about a smart meter for gas and electric . You can even listen to all the recordings that your phone has made of you without you knowing. If you're not doign anything illegal who cares who's watching.
    This is interesting. I've got smets1 meters installed by British gas. Moved to eon and it took them one and a half years before they could read them. Despite calling them they wouldn't come out and swap them for smets2. I don't think there's anything sinister about them but they are useful and show you how much you're spending per hour/day etc. I've used this data to adjust power usage.
    radium12/05/2022 23:00

This is interesting. I've got smets1 meters installed by British gas. …This is interesting. I've got smets1 meters installed by British gas. Moved to eon and it took them one and a half years before they could read them. Despite calling them they wouldn't come out and swap them for smets2. I don't think there's anything sinister about them but they are useful and show you how much you're spending per hour/day etc. I've used this data to adjust power usage.

I’ve got the smets1 (was in the house on British Gas when wet moved in) changed supplier to eon. They said they can’t read the meters as they’re not compatible but amazingly they read the meters a month ago accurately. I don’t mind the smart meters as long as I don’t have to pay for them
    tardytortoise12/05/2022 19:38

from this site …from this site https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/your-energy-meter/getting-a-smart-meter-installed/you dont have to accept a smart meter BUT don't be surprised if you cannot access cheaper tarrifs - unlikely at the moment as many of us are on capped rates.

Whilst this is true if they simply want to replace your meter, should your meter come to the end of its life/certification, they can insist you have a smart meter installed, because they are unable to get legacy meters to replace your existing meter.

However, in this instance you can ask for the smart meter to be installed in 'dumb mode'. (This is what I did with Octopus last November)
    I get the frustration from the smets1 devices, because they were a rushed rollout without any forethought. However the smart meters these days can just be seen as a more frequent upload tool, so you can track your usage more finely.
    The arguments about it raising the cost of your bills as you are paying for the device itself are over-exaggerated, especially when you consider you have been paying for a man to check your meter readings a few times a year, not to mention that you are letting a stranger into your house (if your meter is located inside).

Also yes, this is a stepping stone to future peak pricing. But don't you find it weird that for most tariffs, we pay a fixed fee for gas/elec? That doesn't represent the wholesale market at all where prices fluctuate widely throughout the day. Peak pricing will also help even out your usage to reduce strain and increase predictability on the grid. It would just be a more granular form of the current day/night tariffs.

I'm short, just get the smart meter installed. Yes there is a small percentage of people who it hasn't worked out for, but that was prevalent in the early rollout, these days most of those issues have been resolved
    Corkscrew13/05/2022 04:52

Also yes, this is a stepping stone to future peak pricing. But don't you …Also yes, this is a stepping stone to future peak pricing. But don't you find it weird that for most tariffs, we pay a fixed fee for gas/elec? That doesn't represent the wholesale market at all where prices fluctuate widely throughout the day. Peak pricing will also help even out your usage to reduce strain and increase predictability on the grid.

Whilst I agree in principle to this, unfortunately this kind of pricing structure will disproportionately effect the elderly, sick, disabled and poor, who do not necessarily have the luxury (or ability) to hold off their energy usage until these cheaper times of the day. In theory, a more efficient system should push the cost of energy down for everyone, so perhaps my fears will be unfounded, but when was the last time you experienced any utility company actually putting prices down when more efficient practices were put in place, despite promises?

On top of this, as someone who's access to electricity is fairly vital, the fact that every smart meter has the ability to remotely cut off the power to my house scares me greatly. Not so much the electricity companies themselves shutting them off, but third party actors. There is no network on earth that is 100% secure, and it has already been demonstrated in America that smart meters can be hacked and remotely shut off. Had the energy companies not insisted that this feature be included in the meters (kind of odd they would do this, given they state they would never use this feature, and by doing so they increased the cost of every meter ), I would be much more in favour of them.
    cliosport6513/05/2022 10:20

so worrying I think you have misread that … so worrying I think you have misread that as it is referring to PAYG ie top up meters with a card or key.

You may "think" that, but if you had actually bothered to follow the links, you would know that wasn't the case.

But I am guessing you knew that already, so I shall bid you a good day.
's avatar