Posted 3 days ago

Factory reset Android tablet, asking for previous account to continue?

I reset an old (in missus account) tablet to put it in my account cos I've got more purchases. It's asking for an account "that was previously synced on this device".

I shouldn't have to do this, what if I'd just bought or sold it? How can I get round it? I've cleared the cache in the boot options, and can't see any option for deleting user data.

Cheers!
Community Updates
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    If you sell an android device you must remove it from your Google account then factory reset.

The tablet needs to be removed from whoever used it before. Just search Google security check, then remove. Will be listed under devices linked (edited)
    Author
    Ah OK never thought of that, cheers.
    I shouldn't have to do this

You should have to do this, it's a security feature. Albeit bad already, phone snatching would be out of control if someone could just reset the phone and it be fully unlocked.
    Its to stop it being reused if it gets nicked. I'd have thought that was a good thing.
    Had same with a phone previously.

Just put the details it asks for in, problem solved

Unless the tablet is "hot" and you can't provide the details (edited)
    Author
    That's not the point though. Say I bought it off someone I can't go asking them for their logon.
    Imagine you sold the tablet and didn’t have to do this, do you think the buyer would be pleased at all?
    On a kind of related note - I bought one of the Fire Max 11's a couple of weeks ago, had a play with it, including adding gapps, then did a factory reset before setting it up for my son with his account.

I've removed access to it from Google's security tab, but I can't disable it in the play.google library devices page. When I untick the box it waits a second then comes back again. Assuming I might just have to wait for it to expire.
's avatar