Posted 29 August 2023

Help with powerbank charging Microsoft Surface (powerbank expert needed!)

I recently bought a powerbank and usb-c to surface cable so I could charge my Surface on the move, but it isn't working.

The powerbank has 100W PD amazon.co.uk/dp/…HB2

The cable was the cheapest I could find on eBay ebay.co.uk/itm…039

The cable charges the Surface with my 100W GaN charger amazon.co.uk/Hyp…F5N

The cable does not work using the 100W powerbank.

Is the powerbank faulty or am I doing something wrong?
Community Updates
New Comment

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Read the reviews on the page of the bank. Some photos show people testing it with a volt reader and not getting anywhere near the written speeds.
    Author
    Ah, that's quite likely the problem then, although I think a Surface only needs around 20W and the powerbank does rapidly charge my mobile? Is there a good alternative (i.e. cheap!) powerbank which would do the job?
    Did you try both ports? Only the usb-c port next to the led indicator supports the 15V/3A of the cable. The middle port only supports up to 12V/1.5A
    Author
    Yes I did try both ports with the special surface cable. I discovered today, however, that the powerbank DOES suppy power to the Surface using a USB-C to USB-C cable, just not using the special surface charging port.
    Okay, so first we need to know which Microsoft surface model you are trying to charge:
    support.microsoft.com/en-…c01
    That power bank reports that it does support PD, however PD does vary from device to device (there are at least 4 different revisions).
    I thought it might be your cable that is the issue here - however given the fact that it works with another charger suggests it's your power bank - it's not performing the required negotiation for the PD to work correctly...
    Author
    Hi there, we've got two surfaces, a Pro 4 (no USB-C, only special charger) and a Pro 7. I can charge the Pro 7 using USB-C to USB-C and the powerbank, but not the Pro 4 using the special cable. Thanks for your help!
    Right i have the exact powerbank and im using it with a Surface Pro 5 so it DOES work.
    Ill put money on the cable being at fault - funnily enough i bought 2 cables. One from eBay, one from Amazon.

The eBay one doesnt work, but the Amazon one does. Now i cant find the exact one i bought from Amazon, but i know i bought the one that had lots of good reviews, i suggest you do the same.
    Author
    Hi! That's interesting information. It works using the special surface charging slot? I had success with it charging into the USB-C slot from the powerbank. Like I said, my cable works using a wall plug adaptor using the special surface charging slot, but not using the powerbank.
's avatar