Posted 20 hours ago

Hire a car in Belgium (go around europe) - cross border fee?

Hello everyone,

I am planning to hire a car in Belgium and drive around the main land. Mainly Belgium, Netherlands, Germany and maybe France or Luxembourg.

I have found decent prices from booking.com and autoeurope to hire a car - but the problem is, can i drive across Europe and what (if any) is the fee?
aka "cross border fee"

Anyone out there have any experience or advice?

Cheers
Community Updates
New Comment

4 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I've hired a Spanish car and am allowed to drive it into Gibraltar. It was listed in the terms and conditions....
    A car from outside france needs to be registered with the french website for emissions if being driven in some areas.

Same with belgium, same with netherlands. Not sure about the other countries.

Make sure you get something in writing from the rental company if you dont want headache in the even they get a fine while u were renting.

If at all possible, just drive your own car there and do all the registrations beforehand.
    Author
    After more searching there are some details on the Web....

CAN I TAKE MY KEDDY RENTAL CAR TO ANOTHER COUNTRY
    Being able to cross borders with a rental car varies by your location. For example, in the USA drivers are not permitted to cross the border into Canada or Mexico in a rental vehicle. It is recommended in this situation to rent one car on each side of the border. Western Europe is different. Many suppliers will allow you to drive between France, Spain, Germany, Austria and Italy. Be sure to let the rental agents know you plan to cross borders during your trip as some countries, like Austria, require vehicles to have a placard to drive on their roads.

And on europcar www m.europcar.com/act…ls/
    For Belgium there are nothing concrete.. But for Netherlands it allows

Cross Border Rules : The renter is allowed to drive the rentalcar in: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, France, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain (except Ceuta & Melilla), Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom. It is not permitted to drive the car in any other country.
    Certain driving restrictions may apply for driving into certain countries, it is the renters responsibility to ensure that the rentalcar meets the legal requirements of the concerning country.
    Details are available from Europcar Reservation Office.

A call to the office then.
    Author
    Just to complete the question.

I spoke with Autoeurope and all Western Europe is ok and free of charge but they did add it to the booking, as good to have in writing.
    (of course doesnt include local country/city fees like Congestion Ulez etc...)

Cheers
's avatar