Posted 19 September 2023

Lg tv issue

4203637_1.jpgCan anyone tell me what’s wrong with the tv? it’s around 2 years old. Been watching it this afternoon and now this is happening
Community Updates
New Comment

16 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Looks like your watching something on Prime, is it the built in App or a fire stick?
    If its a stick try a different HDMi port
    Author
    Built in app
    If this shows up on all inputs including the menu the screen or the electronics driving the screen have failed. Try gently flexing or putting pressure around the edges of the screen and bezel and see if that changes or manipulates the lines on the screen, if so it's an unpreparable fault.

As someone else has pointed out, get in touch with the retailer and see what they come up with. A branded TV should last a lot longer than 2 years.
    If the op has indeed ruled out the hdmi ports & cables & all input devices I would say it is most likely the ribbon.

From what I have read it is unlikely to be the screen failure. Maybe you know better than me. However, at the end of the day, it is a fault & needs to be replaced, repaired or refunded by the retailer.
    Author
    Nothing worked.
    If no quick-fixes, push it back to the retailer/creditprovider that sold you the prematurely busted rubbish.
    Standard CRA claim.
    Credible start-ball-rolling claim template via Which, but attempt a friendly contact / request prior to guns blazing:
    which.co.uk/con…lgZ
    It almost resembles a GPU failure. The PS3 has a similar look when it's on the way out.

I would restart the TV (hold down the power button)

Update the firmware if you can.

Some LG TVs have a pixel refresh calibration, I don't know if that specific model has it.
    Is it just one app that is doing that, or do you see it no matter what you are watching or doing? (edited)
    It's a hardware fault - it can be repaired, however it's not an easy fix. It's caused by the screen connections failing. It's a ribbon cable connection that is bonded to the glass, the adhesive used dries out over time and causes the strip to lift. The way to fix it is to reapply the strips. This being the issue can be proved out by applying a gentle pressure to the strips and if the lines disappear you have confirmed the fault.
    T-Conn boards control the strips and there are ICs along those strips, it's incredibly unlikely that they would be the cause.
    Author
    Well I took the back off and messed about with the ribbon cables arc but still not working.
    Seriously: do not mess any further as it may jeopardise your CRA claim.

As previously stated:
    contact the shyster that sold you the prematurely busted rubbish and politely demand a resolution.
    The retailer has a legal obligation to ensure product durability and provide a solution to genuine instances of premature faults.

If you initially need to educate an ignorant / arrogant retailer, just remind the retailer of the legislation text:
    9 Goods to be of satisfactory quality...
    (3) The quality of goods includes their state and condition; and the following aspects (among others) are in appropriate cases aspects of the quality of goods -
    ... (c) freedom from minor defects;
    ... (e) durability.
    archive.ph/wo2xp

You have 6 years to present a rubbish-durability claim to the retailer unless you live in a country that insists on shafting consumers by lessening the claim period to an equally rubbish 5 years, such as Scotland.
    5 Time limit for actions founded on simple contract
    An action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.
    legislation.gov.uk/ukp…ted

If the retailer denies CRA responsibility, ask the retailer to cite its exemption to the Consumer Rights Act
    (hint: there is no exemption to Consumer Rights Act; any incredulous alleged exemption quoted by the retailer is simply ammunition to bolster your claim).
's avatar