Posted 7 September 2023

Meaco (etc) vs HOMCOM Portable Air Conditioner

My 9000BTU PAC, from HOMCOM, failed within 3 months of purchasing, and so I thought I’d see what Meaco are offering, since their Pedestal Fan is, apparently, unrivalled; would the build quality/failure expectation be any different to that of imports like HOMCOM, or rebrands such as Black+Decker? Meaco seems to use the same refrigerant, as the much cheaper alternatives, and the build design seems more or less the same… so I don’t know if it’s worth buying another unit at 2x the cost.
Community Updates
New Comment

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I would save your money and get a fully installed split system for around £1200-1500.

Its not getting any cooler and a split is infinitely more reliable, much much quieter and uses loads less electricity.
    yeah, i have come to the conclusion that portable units are too heavy and noisy and will be breaking down in no time. i think the system install will become very popular soon and the price of install will start to drop when there are more players in the market.
    Judging from the universally terrible efficiency numbers nobody really seems to be putting any effort into portable units at the moment.

Unless you actually need the portability then I'd seriously look at fixed heat pumps instead.